What's new

A LaRue OBR 7.62 just followed me home!

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
18" BBL, adjustable gas, amazingly tight tolerances between the upper and lower. Bolt gun precision in a mag-fed semi. Pix soon, more as I trick it out...

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hmmm, need a better camera I guess. There's so much detail on this rifle that gets lost with my 8MP cellphone cam...always too dark or too bright. I'll see what I can do.

In other news, put on a Magpul PRS last night. Picking up a 51-tooth AAC brake today to go with the 762-SDN-6 can I'm waiting on.

Big package on the way from LaRue:
Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44mm w/ LT111 Mount
Harris BR-S and LT706 QD Combo
OBR 7.62 Deluxe Parts Kit
LaRue Camo Index Clip Set
10x Magpul 20-Round PMAG 20-LR 7.62mm - always good to have enough mags to run a class with
LaRue Scope Bag, Large
Troy Di-Optic Aperture Front & Rear Sight

Gonna put the Leupold on my SCAR Heavy once I can get a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56, but it's backordered a year. 38 lucky bastards in line ahead of me.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Some serious coin is going into that rifle! A S&B is the cherry on top! I ultimately decided that the S&B would be wasted on me, I opted to put the extra cash in ammo and ended up with a Nightforce. Still in the premium scope range, just not S&B premium. The clarity isn't as good, but it's not night and day apart.

What kind of ammo are you thinking of using? If you don't reload, I can personally attest to southwestammunition.com. They do hand loads that are insane and not too expensive.

Also, if you want the S&B scope sooner, I'm sure you can find a used one on tue Snipershide. They have those things in the WTS section daily. That's where I picked up my Nightforce for $1700, compared to the $2199 MSRP. The scope was mounted on a 22lr...

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Sounds like a nice tool for... reaching out and touching somebody. :thumbsup:
..at over 3/4 of a mile...at least that's what I've seen others do (AotPR) to 18" plates.

AAC brakeout went on yesterday in prep for a can that will be shared with a 300BLK upper...will try to get decent pix up when the LaRue order comes in

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Interesting choice on the brakeout.
It's what the shop had in stock. Wanted the full brake so maybe later. Priority is a 51-tooth AAC muzzle device of *some kind* to fit the QD can. Second is any recoil reduction (small I know) improvement over the A2 FH that came stock. I have a collarbone that sticks out at an angle from a MC crash that lots of prone shooting tends to jab at the wrong way. So no bolt-action .50BMGs for me :(

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice rifle, and I'm sure it will bring you much joy over the years. And I want to say thank you for doing this gun justice unlike so many other people would do / have done.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
First range report
Still waiting on my Leupold glass, so I took the Aimpoint Comp m4s and 3x magnifier off the SCAR Heavy and threw them on the OBR for the day. The Aimpoint is a 2MOA red dot, so at 100yds with the intensity turned way down low I could just barely get a crisp dot against a diamond from a shoot-n-see target. It was 50F outside with no wind, so getting on paper was easy. What I wasn't prepared for was how crazy-accurate this rifle is up close. The OBR came with a test target demonstrating 0.77 MOA at 100yds with a 22x nightforce scope. I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I managed to get one 0.75" 5rd group at 100yrs with my red dot! LaRue's tests and mine were both done with the same ammo - 168gr FGMM SMKs. I picked up a bunch of intact clay pidgeons off the ground and put them out at 200yds, blowing them to bits with ease. A gun this pricey should put a smile on your face every time you shoot it...and I immediately got what I paid for.

Looking forward to the nice glass and some 350-600yd matches!

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Wheres the pictures?!!! Sounds like a dream! On the downside Washington ranges rarely will let you shoot that fast of a round :/

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Nice! I love those levels! I ended up liking the accu level a bit more. It was a very difficult choice since I love all things US Optic.

Mine is not as cool as your OBR though, I am jealous! If I were to do it again, I'd go high end semi.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Leupold Mk6 3-18x44 and US Optics Cant Indicator showed up. Bring the pain!

http://i56.tinypic.com/16772ut.jpg[/IG]

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2m7yzqo.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]

Does a higher cheekweld hurt shooting at all, or is that a preference thing?

[quote="Mickeymorris626, post: 1188541"]Nice! I love those levels! I ended up liking the accu level a bit more. It was a very difficult choice since I love all things US Optic.
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/27/uruqy9az.jpg[/MG]
Mine is not as cool as your OBR though, I am jealous! If I were to do it again, I'd go high end semi.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that looks good. Excellent smoke too :thumbsup:

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Does a higher cheekweld hurt shooting at all, or is that a preference thing?
Preference. Considering the center viewpoint of the scope is about 1/2 to 1" higher from the rail than you'd have with a red dot on the same rifle, I need to be able to adjust my cheekweld higher. The PRS stock lets you do that. This is especially handy when shooting prone. A guy with a bigger frame, larger jaw or lower cheekbones than me probably wouldn't notice as much.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Range Report!

Went out to the Cascade Rifle & Pistol Club's high-power match intro/qualifier course today. After some classroom stuff (rehash of what you can get on Art of the Precision Rifle) the 30 of us split up into two groups across the 15 lanes @ the 600yd range.

To qualify (even if you are a member) to shoot @ the 600yd range you have to take this class or get 1:1 inspection from the rangemaster. Lame rule but we have a bunch of yahoos that bounce rounds off the range floor on a daily basis, as well as tards showing up trying to shoot .22LR @ 600yrds, hence the rules.

While some dude that reminded me of Hank Hill or Jim Tom from Moonshiners blathered on about wind reading, I went out and got a good 200yd zero on my OBR. You get zero help in the qualifier for 600, so I made sure I was set up for success. Hornady posts bullet drop for their 168gr A-max online, so I knew it dropped 45" at 500yds and had to guess between 46" and 72" for 600yds. The actual drop as I'd find out later was 62" @ 600 w/ a 200yd zero.

You get three shots for the qualifier, if you fail you just get to have fun in the class the rest of the day with some awesome instructors. If you score points in those three hits you qualify.

I lined up @ 600 with a NINE FOOT VERTICAL HOLD. The target was 6' tall. Holding 9' above bullseye puts me on paper regardless of the bullet drop, as long as it's between 45-72." The First-focal Horus H58 reticle paid for itself here since I could zoom in to 18x and measure the hold precisely as one full target height. This was the 3 marker on the pic below.

Sent the first shot, and hit the target as expected! Held 5 ticks right and the second shot was a bullseye! Qualification done, now time for some fun. At this point, I was holding 6' over the top right edge of the 1000yd match target. Scored a few more 10's with this crazy hold and fixed the windage.

In the second session I figured that .1 MRAD @ 600yrds was around 3.9" (was wrong, it was 2-ish inches), so I needed like 60 clicks elevation to hold over the X in the bullseye to be on paper. Corrected again 3 clicks up to fix that last foot off the bullseye and BOOM! Hit the X. BOOM! Did it again! Got my 600yd zero just as the session ended.

To wrap shit up, this rifle and especially the scope made things TOO EASY. I had a completely awesome time and learned a bit, but WOW if you even remotely do your part this rifle will treat you good! My spotter/instructor today was Anette Wachter (30calgal)...no doubt some missed opportunities on my part to learn stuff from her. The OBR did all the work for me. Also, no medium or LR kit is complete without a cant indicator. The US Optics level was awesome, just the right amount if visibility and in exactly the right place.

This reticle rocks, plain and simple. Looks busy as hell on paper, but behind the glass it just works:

Last edited: