What's new

A little storage Help here..

J

jckposter

Lets say you have 40 or 50 single cigars you know you wont smoke for a few years. Should you put them in empty boxes and keep them away from the fresh air are just keep them in the draw.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
if they are all same cigar, i would put them in their own cedar box, and close the lid. if different brands, just put them in the singles drawer.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would probably consolidate them and put them in a seperate box or two just so they wouldn't get moved around as I was digging through singles.

But aging wise, I doubt it would matter. "Light" might, though.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
N2Advnture said:
I would consider vacuum sealing them to remove all air but be careful not to crush them. If it's a whole box, you can vacuum seal the box again being careful not to crush the box.

Just my $.02 though
Thats a really good idea I've been thinking about that for sometime now I hear they smoke fantastic after a few years this way as long as you get the RH level stable 65% before you seal them.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are some people who swear that vacuum aging is best for long-term aging. I'm not one of them. As someone who brews his own wine and beer it seems counter intuitive to think that airless aging will improve flavor because fermentation depends on air. That is one of the reasons wine bottles have a cork - the cork actually allows air exchange. But this is just another theory.

IMPO I prefer aging in the cedar box for the purpose of imparting the cedar aroma as well as the protection the box provides. Also, the box may be useful for buffering climatic changes to a limited degree. But when it gets down to less than half a box then in the tray is fine. If you want to age them longer, say 5-10 years, then it propbably makes more sense to leave them in the box with the shrink wrap on.

As an experiment I put a bunch of cigars in a ziplock bag several months ago. I didn't vacuum it, but I squeezed out as much of the air as possible. I'll probably wait a year and see if this has any affect. My guess is the lack of air will actually preserve the current flavor profile and would actually prevent further maturing. But we shall see.