What's new

A new experiance with mold.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a 300 count humidor that works great. My RH is always good, between 65 and 69. Temperatures are never high. I have a good understanding of mold and what causes it.
Today I had a new experiance. I have a stick that I bought in Cuba and have been storing it for about 6 years now. Today I noticed it had a fair amount of mold which wasn't there a month ago, or at least not noticably. No other sticks have mold, thankfully. It seems to be some sort of bizzar, one-off, magical mold growth.
I wiped it off and now I guess it's time to spark it up.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have a 300 count humidor that works great. My RH is always good, between 65 and 69. Temperatures are never high. I have a good understanding of mold and what causes it.
Today I had a new experiance. I have a stick that I bought in Cuba and have been storing it for about 6 years now. Today I noticed it had a fair amount of mold which wasn't there a month ago, or at least not noticably. No other sticks have mold, thankfully. It seems to be some sort of bizzar, one-off, magical mold growth.
I wiped it off and now I guess it's time to spark it up.
Bruce. I had some Cubans do the same. I moved them to a separate area with 65 percent boveda. It’s clear so I can keep an eye on them. Had a few non Cubans in there with them without issues. It was on maybe 5 cigars. Different dates and manufacturers. I couldn’t make any sense of it either.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Either burn it or move it. I have a 40 count traveldor I use for dry boxing at 62% and a cigar started showing mold. Only thing I could think of is I've been leaving the traveldor at room temp 74 - 78 degrees. From now on the traveldor box gets returned to the cooler.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. The really strange thing is that this cigar has been in my hunidor for 6 years. Nothing has changed so why mold now????

All the cigars I have bought in Cuba over the years were over humidified. I always freeze them and then isolate until they get to a good RH to join the rest of my stash.
Actually, all the cigars I by from local B&M places are overhumidified too. I buy most of my stuff on-line and the suppliers are much better and not going crazy with humidity.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If the fact that nothing changes means no mold now, no mold later then we can all stop checking our humidors. I check mine about once a month and they are stable as hell, but mold happens. I think what prime storage conditions do for us is give us the time to identify and isolate minor problems, not necessarily eliminate them from ever happening.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If the fact that nothing changes means no mold now, no mold later then we can all stop checking our humidors. I check mine about once a month and they are stable as hell, but mold happens. I think what prime storage conditions do for us is give us the time to identify and isolate minor problems, not necessarily eliminate them from ever happening.
You may be right.
I've always wondered about cigars that are stored for 10, 20 or 30 years. Even in a good humidor there must be some that mold.