What's new

A newfound love for DE

Rating - 100%
33   0   1
I had previously never been a real fan of DE cigars. I have had a few 9s and t52s over the years, and while they were good, I couldn't say I loved them nor did I like them enough to justify the price tag.

But after a hiatus for a few years, I found myself in need of some trade bait thanks to this board, and picked up some baitfish. Just finished smoking one and it BLEW ME AWAY. I finally got it somehow. Since coming back to smoking cigars (3-4 months ago) the baitfish is the second best stick I have had. The fist was a my father #2 as I am a dpg whore and have never smoked a pepin that I didn't like.

Have you all ever had that? Just flat out didn't like a highly regarded brand and after some time passes you come back just amazed by them. For being a "low end" DE stick i was surprised how much I loved it.

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Had that happen recently with Herrera Esteli. Smoked a Lonsdale a couple weeks back and it blew my mind. I'm hoping that it doesn't happen with Viaje though. Been lucky so far...

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Had that happen recently with Herrera Esteli. Smoked a Lonsdale a couple weeks back and it blew my mind. I'm hoping that it doesn't happen with Viaje though. Been lucky so far...
Most people get more turned off by Viaje the longer they are around. I have a feeling you'll be OK. Having said that, every once and a while a real winner comes along.

Rating - 98.4%
90   1   0
I'm kinda having the beginning of this right now with the 9's and 52's. I don't know if I'm just now expanding my tastes or what but they just don't do a lot for me right now. I've never had one with a lot of age tho so maybe that's it. Still love the HE and most of the Unico's tho.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Glad to know im not the only one that isnt a huge Viaje fan. Cant wait for the HE lance to land. That is going to be a sick smoke.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
It's a funny thing, when a second impression gives you a new view. For me, it was with CC'S. Didn't truly enjoy the first few I'd had, but after a second look there are a bunch that are a nice option to consider.

IIRC
While DE certainly is involved, bait fish are made by Joya de Nicaragua. But I agree they are good! If you haven't, try some of JDN other products.

Edit:

I found a reference to focus my recollection.

http://www.newhavanacigars.com/Drew_Estate_MUWAT_Bait_Fish_at_NewHavanaCigars_com_s/116.htm

Last edited:

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Actually, Baitfish are kind of a unique breed among the DE lineup. Medium bodied isn't what they do. I'd suggest looking at other medium bodied maduros.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I had this with the Nica Rustica. Wasn't very impressed at first. Went back to it a few time and still nothing. Then all of a sudden a few days ago I smoked one and loved it.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I had this with the Nica Rustica. Wasn't very impressed at first. Went back to it a few time and still nothing. Then all of a sudden a few days ago I smoked one and loved it.
Was it the one I sent? I ask because that one I got from my local deals rep maybe a month before release.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Was it the one I sent? I ask because that one I got from my local deals rep maybe a month before release.
No but it's one almost that old it's from the day of release. That's good to know though cause I can smoke the one you sent now! Lol.