What's new

A question and some pics of my new humi :D

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been thinking lately that I'd like to keep my stash better organized and keep better track of just how long I've had the cigars that I've had. So, my idea is to take a small piece of paper, write down the date, then wrap it around the stick like an extra band and hold it gently in place with a small piece of tape.

That's a lot of work though so then I thought that, at least for the sticks in cello, I could take a fine, felt tip pen and just write the date on there. My concern is that this may somehow affect the cigars within the cello. I know that the cello allows for air to pass through, so could some of the ink soak through as well?

Anyway, here's my brand new humidor that is the start of my organizing spree. Just wanted to share since I'm pretty excited about it. There's a lot more room, but I don't know how long it will last. lol. I've got 21 more sticks on order that were supposed to come with the last group, but it turns out they weren't in stock. I didn't find out until after order though. Oh well, I suppose I can wait. :ccool:

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Pm me your addy, I believe I have some blank bands that are self adhesive, and the ink isn't going to affect anything. I would feel fine writting the data letting it dry for a minute and put it on a non-cello'd stick.

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Nice humi/ stash! As far as the felt tip pen goes, I would worry about the odor/ fumes affecting the other cigars not in cello.
There are blank cigar bands you can buy and write on w/ a regular pen or pencil.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Pm me your addy, I believe I have some blank bands that are self adhesive, and the ink isn't going to affect anything. I would feel fine writting the data letting it dry for a minute and put it on a non-cello'd stick.
Thanks a ton! PM away :stretchgr

Nice humi/ stash! As far as the felt tip pen goes, I would worry about the odor/ fumes affecting the other cigars not in cello.
There are blank cigar bands you can buy and write on w/ a regular pen or pencil.
Thank you as well. :)

Maybe if I made sure to separate the cellos from the non-cellos it would work.

Though this blank cigar band idea sounds like the best way to go. I didn't know that they made those.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Those S&B's look fantastic! i think u should trade me some lol.

looks good!

Last edited:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
You can also get some Blank Cigar Bands from David at Heartfelt Industries. He is a sponser here too.

Blank Cigar Bands

....and that is a sweet humi and a damn nice collections of smokes too! :thumbsup:

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Thanks a ton! PM away :stretchgr
:headroll: you'll soon learn, young padawan...

Interested in labeling? Maybe my OCD will actually come in handy... This may be the perfect fix for you! http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=33975

Though this blank cigar band idea sounds like the best way to go. I didn't know that they made those.
I would suggest using the labels above with some Heartfelt blank cigar bands, that's what I do. Before that, I had a piece of paper with lines printed on it for a sufficient-sized paper that does the job as well, but the blank bands are a million times better.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I made up a template on my computer with bands the size of various vitolas. Each one has the name of where I purchased the stick, the location, and the month/year. When I get new sticks I can just type in the info real quick, and print it out. Cut them to size, and use a bit of pectin to glue it around a cigar.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I have blank bands now, but before that I just wrote on the cello with a thin felt pen, let it try, and tossed them in. Once it's dry it doesn't really smell.

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I made up a template on my computer with bands the size of various vitolas. Each one has the name of where I purchased the stick, the location, and the month/year. When I get new sticks I can just type in the info real quick, and print it out. Cut them to size, and use a bit of pectin to glue it around a cigar.
Yay for OCD

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Yeah, I have stogie rate and everything goes in there when I make the bands. My reason for the bands, was that I didn't like my handwriting on the stick on bands, and I thought it was cheesy to print out a label, stick it on a band, stick that on the cigar. So, I just made my own from scratch. It's also uniform across the board an all my cigars have the same extra band on there.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Dude, that is TOTALLY up my alley lol

Yeah, I have stogie rate and everything goes in there when I make the bands. My reason for the bands, was that I didn't like my handwriting on the stick on bands, and I thought it was cheesy to print out a label, stick it on a band, stick that on the cigar. So, I just made my own from scratch. It's also uniform across the board an all my cigars have the same extra band on there.
I'm in the same boat: my handwriting is atrocious and I'm very anal about things being uniform! Every label is on the cello in the same place facing the same direction lol!

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
If you need blank cigar bands, send me a PM with your addy and I'll send them to you. I'd use regular ball point pen. Felt tip pens can impart their odor onto the cigars that are not in a cello sleve. Tape can also do the same thing if you get the wrong kind of tape. Also, the glue on the tape is much more stronger than the type used on the back of bands and can damage the wrapper when you go to remove it should it touch it.

On a positive note, that's a pretty nice humi and a nice collection of sticks! If you notice your humidity flucuating a lot, get some odorless silicon. They sell it at pet stores and is the same thing they use on fishtanks. Seal the glass around the door except for an inch around 1 corner to allow for some airflow. I've noticed sometimes on humi's with glass that the humidity can flucuate because the wood doesn't always form a tight seal around the glass. This is especially true in winter months when it's not uncommon for wood to shrink due to lower humidity naturaly in the air. Once I did it to mine, my humidity has been holding steady at 68.