What's new

A question my g/f asked

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
My current girlfriend is very accepting of this hobby we all partake in. However, after her recent frustration with my spending habits she started asking alot of questions dealing with storage of cigars, particularly why the mass storage. She asked about my cooler and my 100 ct humi and why I needed the cooler and the beads and blah blah. Well I explained about the beetles, the proper temp, the proper rh levels, the coolerdor used for mass boxes and pretty much the whole rundown. When it was all said and done she asked this:

"Well I don't understand why you need to keep buying boxes and boxes for the cooler. I don't mind you smoking a cigar a day, but all you need for that is a box or two at a time in your small humidor. Then you won't have to worry about spending all this money and worry about bugs. Why do you need to have space for 20 boxes and all that money sitting there?"

I didn't know how to answer this....anybody have any takes on it?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You could tell her... well about if you said "Honey..." OK, wait how about this...

Actually, I got nothing. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. I'd try the aging angle with her. And the fact that they're not losing value and can be turned back into money at any time. It's kind of like a savings account. Fivers go like hotcakes around here.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Show her some of the cabinet humidors in our member user gallery and she will leave you alone.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
To be honest, I tried the aging angle. She doesn't get it. The cooler isn't totally evil to her, but then I mentioned getting a wine cooler or maybe a cabinet humi. She doesn't have a large shoe collection, she has 1 purse and the only money pit she has is cigarettes, and that's why she is accepting a cigar a day, even if it's a 12 dollar PAM. She just is not really all that excited about keeping 20-40 boxes around. I don't know how to get her around to it other than pretty much just saying "It's something I want." She is seeing through me and knows mass storage is not needed to enjoy cigars.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Tell her it's all about the selection. The fun part about our hobby is trying a wide array of cigars and getting enjoyment out of each cigar that is different in its own way :thumbsup:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
My g/f just shakes her head like I'm crazy. She's probably right...

Other than the aging part there really is nothing more you can tell her...

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've been married too long to remember "justifying conversations" with a girlfriend, but I'd steer clear of the comparing apples to oranges. They can out-spend you most of the time and then justify it by saying something stupid like "See, I can use this again tomorrow and the next day..." Try the "True cigar flavors have to be aged" approach. Or how 'bout "They are cheaper when you buy full boxes" or maybe the "It's actually a collection" approach. Just remember, do not under any circumstance show her your latest $500 purchase of fine cigars and/or products; then take her to McD's for dinner because your a little shy on cash. You can still do this, just don't show the goods.

Best of luck bro,
Dub

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Telling her it's all about selection is done. She gets that, but justifies it by saying buy a different box or 2 every month and put them in the small humi. I don't know what to say to that. I'll keep trying with the aging thing and see where this goes. I already have a couple boxes coming in from cbid. I wish she had a big shoe collection or tons of clothes...it'd make it easier on me. Wish me luck!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Yea it will be harder to hide your purchases if you live with your g/f. Best thing would be to hide the cooler. Out of sight, out of mind :wink:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
If they can't understand it or accept it as something you enjoy, not the right girl IMO.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd agree with Dub. No need to justify. It is a part of who you are and what you do. My wife thinks I'm nuts and can't wrap her brain around this whole collecting thing I've gotten into. But at the end the day she loves me, and knows it is what I've decided to do in my spare time.

And SOOOO true about spending the big bucks on stoogies and then skimping on her. I take the "double up" approach. If I spend $500 on stoogies, I plan on spending $250-$500 on her. It really can make this an expensive "hobby", but way saves the relationship. Obviously you don't need to go to that extreme, but do something nice. She'll really appreciate it.

Good Luck Bro.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Thanks for the responses guys. She's a super supportive girl and really great. But obviously, when I put myself in her shoes, I wouldn't understand it either. She'll get used to it because she does love me. She's by no means "forbidding" me or anything like that. She was looking for answers and I guess in the end there won't be one that is acceptable to her mind. It's just one of those men are from mars women are from venus things in the end I suppose.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yea, they just can't understand it. As long as she let's you enjoy your cigars then theres nothing you can do.

Maybe an MRN book would help?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
It is a bit more like a hobby or a collection than something like cigarettes. When you buy a box for long term aging you can sample them all along the way to see how they progress. If you don't have a whole box then you wouldn't have enough to do that. Its also nice to have a cigar to fit your mood or the time you have to smoke it. And when you age a cigar sometimes they go through sick periods before they are good again so it helps to have other stuff around till it blossoms like a precious flower on a rocky beach. (hahah)

MadMac

MadMac
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is your GF not your Boss(wife), End of discussion.......:tongueout :angel:

MadMac