What's new

A Unique Travel Humidor Build

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This build ended up taking much longer than I had anticipated. I sourced the materials online and at my local tobacconist. It was worth every hair pulling second and I'm quite pleased with this original build. I am considering adding a hygrometer, but that may be overkill to some degree.

Please inform me if the pictures aren't uploading, I've been having issues.

1. I began with a newly purchased Xikar 10 Count Travel Humidor that I bought for a steal on Amazon.

2. I then removed the bottom foam trays. I was about to remove the top case foam, only to find that for some particular reason, Xikar or whoever designed this, used the entire adhesive bottle to secure the foam to the lid. I'm exaggerating, but seriously Xikar? A couple of dots would've done the job just fine. I digress.

Then began the 3 hour delight of picking off foam soaked in adhesive remover. I wish I took a picture but I was in the zone. Take my word for it, it sucked lol.

3. I bought some beautiful designed (but very thin) Padron cedar shelves from my local Tobacconist ($5 for a bundle). It was so thin that I had to be very careful when cutting. Every cut brought about 2 inches of tearing ahead of the blade. It was next to impossible to get an even cut, but I think it came out ok. (I may take another crack at the bottom cedar again, a little crooked)

I love how the ribbon is still attached to the Cedar trays for easy removal.

4. Next came the tray installation. The bottom I just laid flat with the ribbon out for removal. I plan on sticking temporarily; one of the foam trays to prevent wrapper damage on trips. (cigar rolling)

The top is however a permanent fixation. I super glued a magnet I had removed from an old analog hygrometer to the back of the cedar. I secured the metal backing of the magnet to the lid with one of those adhesive Velcro squares.

The cedar tray is so thin and the magnet so strong, that its permanently fixated (breakage will occur if removed)

5. Humidification was the next step. I was hoping to use the foam humidifier but cracked it when removing it from the adhesive soaked lid. My intention was to fill it with heartfelt beads.

I ordered these babies from Amazon (3 for $20). This was the most ridiculous purchase as I dumped the passive gel. I then measured and cut two in half. (Be careful they are fragile). I then filled them with leftover heartfelt beads. The tops have holes to allow the beads to work their magic. One tube per side.
(Note: I'm aware that the beads are in need of water, I wanted to show how much Humidification I'm working with)

6. Future plans: I might add a small hygrometer but only to check on humidity spikes (high and low rises).
I also would like to add a unique graphic to the outdated front design (my opinion it's rather bland and not befitting of the upgraded interior).

I would also like to take notice that I probably reduced the amount of cigar capacity. I'm fine with that, as I also bought an Asylum 13 oversized finger case. (not a fan of their big ring gauges, but who says I can't put lots of smaller cigars in place) I will include a picture of that too. I added a cool feature.

Since these cases aren't hermetically sealed, humidity will escape. These aren't meant for long term storage either. Yes, the cedar lining helps, as well as the added heartfelt tube from protecting your sticks from drying out. On trips I plan on smoking cigars from this case first.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the way that cedar looks in there...
Thanks! I couldn't agree more. I was hoping to find a xikar or cigar caddy that was similar before the build to see how I could manage the idea. I think I'm the first (with this Humidification/cedar style setup), as I've searched through hundreds of Google pages and not a one.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I made some additional modifications to the temporary inner foam. I'll post the new pics when I take them. Basically I repositioned the heartfelt tubes To the bottom. I cut the foam around them So the humidity can recirculate throughout both trays. It also looks really cool When the bead tubes are exposed and cigars are in place. Who wants to see an empty humidor anyways (Wink wink / nudge nudge)

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Impressive!! Love the outer design. How did you get the inner cedar so perfect? Did you run into similar issues with the tearing?

Is that a cigar caddy? Did you encounter the glue infestation lol.
It's a herfador and there was no glue problems at all...2 strips of double sided tape and it peeled right out. Traced the foam and the excato knife the cedar.

The outer top peice took a bunch of trimming...but liked that it broke up the all black...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a herfador and there was no glue problems at all...2 strips of double sided tape and it peeled right out. Traced the foam and the excato knife the cedar.

The outer top peice took a bunch of trimming...but liked that it broke up the all black...

An exacto knife of course, why didn't I think of that. It looks good. Are you a fan of Jamie Garcia and My Father cigars?