What's new

A very old RASS

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

A great BOTL gifted me this to try. He mentioned that it was old but didn't tell me how old.

The wrapper looks like, well, an old cigar. Rusty brown? Never really seen a cigar with reddish hues in it. The wrapper itself is delicate, fragile. smooth like glass. The aromas from the wrapper: earthy, roasted nuts, cinimmon?

The construction of the cigar is perfect. A slight give when the cigar is squeezed. Was a little nervous about doing this as the wrapper looks very thin. Nothing to worry about here. The foot of the cigar is packed.

The triple cap is well executed. It is rounder than most. Almost like a marblehead.
A slow and deliberate punch through the cap and we are almost ready to go. Cold draw is perfect. cedar, sweetness, maple syrup?

Time to take this to the flame.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

First third: A barrage of flavours off the first inital puffs. Reminds me of trail mix. Raisins, exotic nuts, walnuts, pecan, pineapple. A heathy dose of cedar on the afterfinihs. Very white ash. I better sit back for this one.

More earthy, coffee flavours are coming in. The nuttiness and coffee flavours remind me of Kona coffee. Rich, smooth and delicious!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

2nd Third: The Kona coffee continues. Brown sugar, dried fruit and hazelnuts make a surprise appearance here and there. The burn line is straight. This ash is holding on forever. The ash is a beautiful white with greyt accents.

The draw shows a little resistance. a nice firmness to it. Ample amounts of smoke fill the mid evening air and wafts upwards.

Lingering flavours of cedar on the afterfinish, combined with brown sugar. Fantastic!!!!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

The core of the cigar is built upon coffee, cocoa, dried fruits. I also get toasted cinnamon ginger snaps here and there.

The smoke production on this is impressive. Burn holds razor sharp with no touch ups at all. The ash held on until the final third. Such exquisite construction!

Time to take off the band. OH NO!!!! The wrapper came off with the band. Oh well. That won't stop me from finishing this experience.

Strength has picked up slightly. roasted nuts, maple syrup?, cedar and earthiness all take their turn at the forefront. Every puff brings a difference flavour combination. I keep guessing what will come next.

Final Impressions; What a treat to smoke. This cigar was just a joy to experience. Refined, pronounced flavours with no harshness at all. Very complex. Would love to have boxes of these. What a treasure!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Great review as always, Art, you are most definitely, "The Man".

That settles it, going to buy a box of these just for aging... NO! Do not touch... must age! ;)

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow! That sounds stunning! Great review as always! :smile:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Never had an aged RASS, but I do love them young when they're on. I'll have to discipline myself to put some away for a while!