What's new

A wee bit o the Irish

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I haven't seen Irish whiskey mentioned here. Maybe that's because all you poor people have ever had is Jameson, the White Owl of Irish whiskey? Nothing to write home about, sure.

I have two words for you: Pure Potstill.

I highly recommend Redbreast 12-year-old. Another is Greenspot, if you can find it.

It doesn't take "working up to" to try good Irish, nor is it an acquired taste. It is for anyone who can appreciate some of the smoothest (triple distilled), most complex whiskey there is. There is nothing like good Irish whiskey. The Irish invented whiskey, after all.

If you want to try an Irish single malt, made by the old Irish tradition of drying the malt over peat fires, there is one made today. Connemara, made by Cooley, the last distiller of Irish whiskey that is actually Irish owned. It comes in regular, 12-year-old, and cask strength. I haven't tried it, but have heard good things.

Slán go fóill!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
What about Bushmills? It's something you always hear about, I saw it on the shelf the other day. Is it worth a damn or is it just well known?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't drink many different types of whiskey, but it is my choice of shots. I really, really like Redbreast. It is very smooth.

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bushmills is very good, especially the Black Bush, it's a little nicer than the regular bushmills. If I'm drinking whisky it's my choice

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Like Black Bush.
Love Midleton.

Last in Ireland (many years ago) used to drink alot of Teachers. Good but pedestrian.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
What about Bushmills? It's something you always hear about, I saw it on the shelf the other day. Is it worth a damn or is it just well known?
I suppose it might be worth a damn, maybe even two. But I'm a pot still man.

Probably best to get the black, or the 10-year single malt, or the 12-year 1608 if you're ever in a duty free shop, rather the the plain old white bush.

Another potstill WAS Comber, which closed down in the '50s. At the time, it was the last pure pot still in Northern Ireland.

However, some reserves were discovered in the 80's and bottled as "Old Comber" 30 years old! Occasionally some bottles can be found, for a price.

Like right here:

http://tinyurl.com/ykf6sa

If any of you rich brothers decide to grab a bottle, send another brother a shot, will ya? :santa: