What's new

Accepted differences

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK, folks, I'm offering this up for discussion. What kinds of differences should one expect to see between the same cigars? This is along the lines of "how to spot a fake". I have a specific case I'm looking at, but I don't see a need to post details at this time. So, consider the questions in general.

Here's the starting premise: You are comparing two or more cigars that come from different sources but are the same cigar from the same year. Considering that each of the cigars could have (and most likely do) come from a different box and there fore from possibly a different factory and datecode need to be taken into account. We'll also assume there are no discrepencies with the bands. So:

1. How much of a variance in length should one expect if any? And along these lines, is there any particular website that has, as close as possible, 100% accurate information on the length and ring guage of each cigar out there? (I've noticed

2. What kind of color variation can one expect? What's too much?

Any other thoughts you can come up with to check things out.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think one should expect any variance of length. However, I have seen color vary greatly. I believe I know a site that you are wanting. Let me do some checking.

Mad Dawg

Herf Dog
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several variables need to be considered. The least flexible of these is length - after all, dress boxes and cabs are mass-manufactured by the hundreds (or thousands), so the space the cigars have to fit into is tightly constrained. In general, any variation in length of greater than 1/8" or so is highly suspect.

Tolerances for ring gauge are also small - given that the cigars are pressed in a mold, they should be fairly uniform in terms of diameter.

Beyond that, just about anything is possible. Wrapper color in singles is meaningless - I've seen individual vitolas vary from colorado claro all the way to borderline maduro. In boxes, wrapper color can be diagnostic - the final sorting is based strictly on wrapper color, so that any significant color variation within any box is a real red flag for fakes.

Differences in construction are the norm rather than the exception. The cigars laid out on the sorting table for that final selection are the produce of many different rollers, so one should not expect perfect uniformity in construction. Bands, labels, and all of the other ancillary crap can be all over the map, and almost nothing in that realm would surprise me any more.

Your best bet is to never, ever deal with anyone but a trusted vendor. 'Nuff said.

IHT

Im-Ho-Tep
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
good discussion, but i've even seen variations in RG of the same vitola, different year, different vendor (both legit vendors).

i know someone who has a cab of JL Sel #2s from 03, and a cab from 04. put them side by side, the 04s are fatter (same length), visibly so to the naked eye.

i've sampled cigars from both his cabs, both taste awesome, with the flavor of a JL Sel #2...

very odd, huh. :bigeyes:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There are some variables that need to be considered that WILL make a difference to gauge and to some extent lenth...
Age and humidity....

If we are talking fresh cigars (less then 1 year) not much of a difference should be noted.. there is a 1mm tolerance in cuba (you don't use mm and cm so you convert it ha ha).

However, the nature of tobacco being hydroscopic can make quite a difference between a 5 year old that has been stored in say 60-65% and a five year old that has been stored in 65-70%.... the older the cigar after 1 year the bigger the difference (up to a certain point, both in difference and in age).

These differences should even out after 6-8 months in the same environment.. but consider this scenario: you already have a box of a cigar that you have had for a year or so sitting in 60-63% humidity (this would have made all parts of the cigar this humidity too). The cigar was already 3 years old when you got it. You then buy another box from the same year from a vendor who use the vendor standard of 70-72% (to compensate to not dry out during freight).. he has had the box sitting in this humidity since new... there Will be a noticable difference in both length and gauge between those sticks if closely examined.. the difference Will disapear once being in your humidor until they both have the same humidity level.
The tolerance of variance when leaving the factory is only 1mm so that isn't a huge deal but can still be detected with the naked eye. After all.. I would personally be suspect if they all were identical.. to me that would indicate no longer a hand made product.