What's new

Acid by Drew Estate - "Kuba Kuba"

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Does Swisher know they've got competition? :noemotion

My girlfriend bought a couple cigars for me at Christmas. I'm not sure what motivated her picks. All were in the $6 to $10 range and up til this one they've all been excellent.

Grabbed this one up, punched it, lit it ... and went "... where the hell did the sugar-lips come from?"

Seriously, it's like someone made a Swisher Sweet out of much better tobacco.

I won't say it was bad ... but it was definitely odd. Are they all like that? Interesting flavors under the sugar, but man, that takes some getting used to. I've heard the term 'dessert cigar' before but that's ridiculous ...

Build was excellent, draw was as good as you could ask for; otherwise a well-done cigar. The ash didn't linger; I think it's not very long-cut filler, but that's a very minor complaint for me.

But the lip-smacking factor was a bit out there.:scratchhe

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I have had a couple, but they just aren't my style. They are a well constructed cigar, but the sweet factor is over powering. If you liked the idea of a sweetened cigar, try the CAO Flavors.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I would go to your oncologist because those things are well known for causing male testicular cancer, kinda like menthol cigarettes.... I'm sorry to hear that you have totallyf'd your tasting palette up for the rest of your life:glassesgr

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
The first and only Acid was the Def Sea from CI. It was RANCID!!! I think I gave away or threw away the remainders of the 5 pack I had got. Never touched an acid since. The natural line however was pretty good when it first came out. I have not had any in the last 4-5 years. I remember the dirt and china 5 as delicious. I don't know if they even still make the china 5.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have had a couple, but they just aren't my style. They are a well constructed cigar, but the sweet factor is over powering. If you liked the idea of a sweetened cigar, try the CAO Flavors.
My wife loves the CAO Moontrance. At least it aint a White Owl LOL.

I work with a guy who is a huge Drew Estates fan. I have yet to try any of their cigars. I have just not been inspired by flavored cigars.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Does Swisher know they've got competition? :noemotion

My girlfriend bought a couple cigars for me at Christmas. I'm not sure what motivated her picks. All were in the $6 to $10 range and up til this one they've all been excellent.

Grabbed this one up, punched it, lit it ... and went "... where the hell did the sugar-lips come from?"

Seriously, it's like someone made a Swisher Sweet out of much better tobacco.

I won't say it was bad ... but it was definitely odd. Are they all like that? Interesting flavors under the sugar, but man, that takes some getting used to. I've heard the term 'dessert cigar' before but that's ridiculous ...

Build was excellent, draw was as good as you could ask for; otherwise a well-done cigar. The ash didn't linger; I think it's not very long-cut filler, but that's a very minor complaint for me.

But the lip-smacking factor was a bit out there.:scratchhe
The word Jonathan Drew from DE uses for his cigars is....."ahem, different". I used to smoke a Kuba every now and then but got away from the very aromatic Blue line. I like the Cold Infusion Tea from the Yellow line and the White Rabbit and Root Deluxe from the Natural line.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
call me a puss, but i've enjoyed these from time to time, once or maybe even twice a year. I like the flavlor on thelips and the aroma is very unique. Sure, it's not a cigar cigar, but ain't all that bad. The kuba kuba is my favorite.

I was first introduced to infused cigars with a Lars Tetan, which are tough to find these days.

They're a nice change every once in a while. however, with my new found interest in smoking, it'll be some time before i have another. Ther'es just too many "real" cigars out there to try.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO flavored cigars are not for me. If I want to taste vanilla caramel mango, or
orange honey whatever, I'll go get a smoothie. If I want to taste tobacco I'll smoke a cigar. Think of the reverse; an Opus X Tobacco leather Strawberry Malt... to me just as unappetizing as the flavored cigars. But different smokes for different folks. If you enjoy them smoke 'em

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Yeah, this was a blue label.

Like I say, not unpleasant. Don't know that I'd buy one again, but ... yeah.

It was kinda like finding a tarantula in your humidor, though -- "Where the hell did this thing come from??!?"

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
You have to try different things or we would all still be eating seaweed. I tried a variety of Drew's cigars. Not my cup of tea but many people like them. I really dislike the smell of one burning when I am smoking. Outlawed in the B&M's I go to.

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I havent tried one but i have had a drew estate kahlua it was odd but not bad i guess for a change of pace. My girl friend likes CAO flavors i have tried a few they are bad either. wont go to one often but once in a while

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Flavored Ciagrs are definitely not my cup of tea, coffee or anything else. Momma loves them, so she can have all she wants. Different smokes for different folks though! :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a box of the Kuba Kuba's, and I really like them; I guess I'm the dissenting voice. :)

They aren't an everyday smoke, but I will have one every once in a while. Of course I'm a pipe smoker, and I smoke some aromatics as well, so maybe I'm just a bit different.

I haven't tried any of the other DE lines, so I can't speak to those.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I think the choices for the blends are usually pretty good. If you can get past the fact that its not just tobacco.

I have enjoyed the Acid line more than the CAO Mango Mint ones I once tried. Those I found disgusting.

I haven't had one in a few years though. Can't seem to bring myself to purchase one in a cigar shop, plus JRs doesn't even carry them. My step-uncle was into these and we used to smoke them sometimes when he would pick them up. Now I usually am the one to bring the cigars since I have too many.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I like all kinds of cigars and thought I wouldn"t smoke it everyday, I like the kuba-kuba. It's like drinking the same beer everyday or other, whatever it is each does, but then trying something new.

Also the construction on the couple that I have had has been exceptional. Nice burn and none have come apart.

Just my .02

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I'm with you about not drinking the same beer everyday. That's why I have something like 30-40 different boxes of cigars. That way I always have something different to smoke. When comparing cigars to beer I look at the Acids as the fruit "beers". They're interesting, some people like them, but I like beer beer, not fruit beer. Just how I like tobacco flavored cigars instead of botanical infused/sugar flavored cigars.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I'm a fan.

Right along with my ritzy, nose in the air, better than just premium stash; I have a Tupperware container with a variety of Acid cigars. I particularly like them for before dinner, or a quick smoke while chatting with the wife sitting in the hot tub. I don't do them every week, but I probably hit one every month.

I also hate to lump these with "flavored" cigars. That tag seems down right unfair considering most "flavored cigars" are tobacco not fit for rednecks, perfumed to French whore standards and trying to act just as legitimate. I've not tried the CAO's, but I guess they are just as insulted by their company as the Acid's.

Trivia Note: Acid "One" is the only non flavored cigar in the Acid line, and it is the first one that launched the brand.

Dogwatch Dale

Herfcastin' BotL
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have to agree with Mitch - I confess to enjoying a Deep Dish or a Kuba Kuba, maybe an Earthiness also every now & then. Perhaps once or twice a month. Not really in the category of "flavored" cigars, but definitely a unique twist on things. I keep a few on hand in a coolerdor that is just for aromatic pipe tobacco and Acids. Even a die hard scotch drinker like me has to have a daquari every now & then!