What's new

Additives

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Does anyone know for certain whether our cigars have additives or not? I assume at some point in the process that pesticides are applied. Anyone know of any other additives found in cigars? I ask because I saw a cigar line that was being marketed as 100% organic. I'm wondering if they're just riding the organic trend or if that means they're not adding additives like other makers.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Aside from some flavored cigars, there are no additives. Pretty much all handmade cigars could be considered organic (although there is no agreed upon definition of "organic" so it is kind of moot.)

I've heard rumors that some companies lightly infuse the leaves with flavors during curing, but there are no chemicals added, and certainly nothing on the order of what is done to the tobacco in cigarettes.

Toast

Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most people live in a box when it comes to the cigar industry, it is a BILLION dollar industry, and I doubt we are the major factor of that. YES they do put additives in the tobacco' despite WHATEVER they tell you. IMO.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I think the organic rating comes more from the cultivation of the plant then from additives. Most tobacco is grown with either some pesticides or fertilizers. I don't think that there is a ton of either used as I was informed that Cuba didn't use much just as a cost measure.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
most people live in a box when it comes to the cigar industry, it is a BILLION dollar industry, and I doubt we are the major factor of that. YES they do put additives in the tobacco' despite WHATEVER they tell you. IMO.
Like what? and when do they do it? You'd think that with all the people visiting factories, they would hear about people seeing things.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
If it's a blunt...........yea.:grin: I think with any ag product there will be some production additives.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I think the organic rating comes more from the cultivation of the plant then from additives. Most tobacco is grown with either some pesticides or fertilizers. I don't think that there is a ton of either used as I was informed that Cuba didn't use much just as a cost measure.
I think Aaron pretty much sumed it it.....but Justin is also right!

"Pete puts a little bit of heaven into every cigar!"

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If it's a blunt...........yea.:grin: I think with any ag product there will be some production additives.
I don't really consider fertilizer or pesticide an additive.

To me, additives are added to the final product, not used in the growing of the raw ingredients.

MSG would be an additive to food.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I don't really consider fertilizer or pesticide an additive.

To me, additives are added to the final product, not used in the growing of the raw ingredients.

MSG would be an additive to food.
You are right I don't consider them additive's but they are the items that will stop it from getting an organic sticker. The one additives I can think of would be the dyes used in some maduro wrappers. Other then that I think most premium cigars are additive free.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I used to work in a small cigar factory, and the "tobacco manager" regularly sprayed down the leaves with a heated mixture of water, rum, and honey to keep them pliable. I asked him if this is equivalent to making flavored cigars, and he said that all cigar makers do this (with variations of ingredients).

We purchased tobacco from one of the major growing families, and you really couldn't taste any rum or honey in the cigars.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You are right I don't consider them additive's but they are the items that will stop it from getting an organic sticker. The one additives I can think of would be the dyes used in some maduro wrappers. Other then that I think most premium cigars are additive free.
Organic is overrated... it doesn't really mean anything.

I really don't like dyed wrappers.