What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal favorite blend is straight ligero filler. I use a double seco binder and a thin wrapper to make sure it burns well, but I have no issues. Just don't roll it a jaw breaker and you will be fine. Keep rolling and posting your results! I loved hearing your post about the cayenne. I lived in Louisiana for a few years when I was young and will be adding that leaf to my kit for sure. Love me some cayenne
I certainly will sir. I love spicy food. I’ll burn my damn mouth off if I could and regret it later, but I guess that’s why I love the tatuaje, pardon and some la flor Dominicana (love the Cameroon cabinets too). That spice def does it for me. I even like the black pepper and subtle white pepper notes in the Ecuadorian Habano wrapped cigars. I’m from TX but I have plenty family in Louisiana, we’re so culturally similar in TX and Louisiana though. Damn near everyone that’s from here has family in both states. sounds like a strong blend. What’s the flavor like??

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I certainly will sir. I love spicy food. I’ll burn my damn mouth off if I could and regret it later, but I guess that’s why I love the tatuaje, pardon and some la flor Dominicana (love the Cameroon cabinets too). That spice def does it for me. I even like the black pepper and subtle white pepper notes in the Ecuadorian Habano wrapped cigars. I’m from TX but I have plenty family in Louisiana, we’re so culturally similar in TX and Louisiana though. Damn near everyone that’s from here has family in both states. sounds like a strong blend. What’s the flavor like??
Not as much spice as I want actually. More rich and full flavors. I've been looking for a ligero that adds some spice to add some zing. If you ever make it out to AZ you better hit me up for some bbq, cigars, and adult beverages. I've been itching for a new tattoo too. That goes for anyone here, my door and rolling table is open to anyone. I only have like 40lbs of tobacco in inventory right now...

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Not as much spice as I want actually. More rich and full flavors. I've been looking for a ligero that adds some spice to add some zing. If you ever make it out to AZ you better hit me up for some bbq, cigars, and adult beverages. I've been itching for a new tattoo too. That goes for anyone here, my door and rolling table is open to anyone. I only have like 40lbs of tobacco in inventory right now...
How much of the 40 pounds is already in cigar form?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly will sir. I haven’t been to AZ in years. Me and my wife used to road trip like twice a year, but “as business grows the free time goes.” Due for a road trip in the near future though!! If you’re ever in the DFW man you do the same. As much as I love the spice; I would take rich and full flavored complexity over spice any day..! But if I can feel that spice on the tongue or retrohale, then that’s a more than welcomed bonus. Hopefully I can get to that level of having surplus leaf and my own blends one day!!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I think you mean pinball wizard

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
You are right! That's a double fail on my part, I was way tired trying to stay up all night in prep for night shift tonight. Hopefully the stogies are better than my posts!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Last September, I rolled up a batch of Flan -- 1/2 leaf each of corojo seco, viso, & ligero, with 1/2 leaf olor seco, bound in Columbian, wrapped with Sumatra binder (much too delicate to be used as binder, but plenty nice to be used as wrapper). This blend is called Flan cause that's what the flavor reminded me of. At the time I was saddled with too much of that pungent H2k wrapper which would just not burn at all. So I took a page out of Leaf by Oscar and shrouded the Flans with that stinky H2k. Like so:

Outer side of the H2k inwards. The idea was to suffuse the flan with that H2k odor. I stashed them in a metal cookie canister to imprison the business.

Today I opened the canister and freed a Flan. Here she is after 8 months of peaceful uninterrupted permeation:

You can see how the H2k shroud blotched up the Sumatra, which started out a light tan color -- so the infusion did work in that sense. The H2k had lost a good deal of its odor; the Sumatra had drawn it in. The shroud was not tight enough near the head. You can see how the flag and cap remains mostly unstained. To come out with an unmottled appearance, one would have to wrap the shroud tighter throughout.

The result was a strange mojo. Flan flavor steeped in moody habano. Not for the faint of heart, nor for the empty stomach. Some days, tho, now and then, you do crave a kickass gar. That's what this would be good for. Not harsh, not gack, just kickassly flavored. Nubbed it and arose from the chair dizzy.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So I think this was an effort back in November 2016 to make a lancero. It's the same blend as the one I submitted to BMP, equal parts Nic ligero and Nic seco.
After 18 months in a cedar tray, the cold draw was all cedar. The draw is easy and cool, good start there. 20180603_182625.jpg I don't know the RG, but it was 9 inches after cutting the cap.
Edit: @BrewinHooligan , how'd those 12 inch rolls turn out?

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
So I think this was an effort back in November 2016 to make a lancero. It's the same blend as the one I submitted to BMP, equal parts Nic ligero and Nic seco.
After 18 months in a cedar tray, the cold draw was all cedar. The draw is easy and cool, good start there. View attachment 114803 I don't know the RG, but it was 9 inches after cutting the cap.
Edit: @BrewinHooligan , how'd those 12 inch rolls turn out?
The ones past 10" had some draw issues, it is easy to twist the bunch when they are that long. I have a couple 12" ones still that I've been saving. I'm not sure I will smoke them, I think I will just save them as a novelty.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have two wooden molds. I don't use either. I use strips of newspaper.
Assuming you take the time to fill the wooden molds properly, they'll make a prettier uniform cigars. I like the flexibility of the paper strips. They smooth the binder veins into the body of the cigar and can taper to the shape of a figurado, a perfecto, or stay straight for a parejo. I don't want to buy molds for each size and shape.
There are more right ways to approach this than one. Do what you like and enjoy it.
Jim D

nic

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I won't give you crap. Most won't. I sold off all my plastic molds and now I just have my 16 wood jobbies.
Plastic molds aren't as romantic as a well worn wooden mold. Otherwise, I like that plastic molds are smaller, but I don't have a strong preference between the two. Buying wooden molds can be a bit of a gamble - there aren't any broken slots in a new plastic mold.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lately I’ve been in a quiet time for rolling. I made a few for a guy at church and a couple for a guy at work.

The church guy wasn’t there so I burned his for myself.

I’ve finally got blends I really like but little ambition to make them the last month. I gotta get some made for our 12 day cruise this fall so I need a kick in the pants to make ‘em.