What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'll have to look it up again. There was at least two I think, maybe even three though. Habano Seco was one. For the PA Broadleaf wrapper you used, did you use the PA Binder he has as the wrapper?
Yes, the PA broadleaf I use is what he lists as binder. Almost all of it that I have used has been wrapper grade. I'm surprised he is out of Habano seco, but I have quite a bit and we could certainly work something out if you would like, shoot me a pm if you would like. I don't think the binder will make much difference as long as you use something that doesn't have a strong flavor.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'll have to look it up again. There was at least two I think, maybe even three though. Habano Seco was one. For the PA Broadleaf wrapper you used, did you use the PA Binder he has as the wrapper?
I didn't have the Habano Seco or the correct Ligero. I subbed Nic Seco for the Habano and San Vicente Ligero. I had to up the Ligero to 1 whole leaf to fit my mold and it had a little more pepper and spice than I'm sure the blend is supposed to, but tons of cream, toasted nuts and a hint of cinnamon towards the end.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I didn't have the Habano Seco or the correct Ligero. I subbed Nic Seco for the Habano and San Vicente Ligero. I had to up the Ligero to 1 whole leaf to fit my mold and it had a little more pepper and spice than I'm sure the blend is supposed to, but tons of cream, toasted nuts and a hint of cinnamon towards the end.
I tried to tweak the blend to add more spice and lost the toasted marshmallow. I love spicy sticks, but the original blend was so good I have stopped trying to tweak it. That blend sounds really damn good too

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I tried to tweak the blend to add more spice and lost the toasted marshmallow. I love spicy sticks, but the original blend was so good I have stopped trying to tweak it. That blend sounds really damn good too
Thanks for the advice on the blend. I may try a different Ligero but I think that blend is going to be one of my regular productions.

I have about 6 other blends to try. I'll keep this one, maybe a one a little more spicy and then crank one up for some strength.

Here's a pic of a pig tail I did. I may stick with this finish. Easy and I think it looks cool.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Smoking one of my homerolls from my marathon session last weekend. I've had a couple of them already and they seem to be getting better day by day. Of course the pack is getting better day by day as well because I started smoking the lousiest packs first - I think this is the last of the really loose rolls. I think.

Ultra white ash. What blnd are we looking at here, and from what source?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A Brother of the Leaf from FTT forum sent me a dozen bags of his home grown tobacco. Varieties I'd never heard of, like Columbian Garcia, Dunkel, Swarr, and so forth. Rolled a fistful of sticks from his stuff this morning: Havana 211 with a touch of Corojo Cuban, bound in Swarr. They are in the perfecto mold now. Gonna wrap them in Garcia. Rolling the dice with these blends. All I can do is go by the way the leaf smells.

Tobacco gardeners have the advantage they can grow whatever they want. The flip side is, good golly, growing the stuff is way too much work for me.

I'll wrap them tonight.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
A Brother of the Leaf from FTT forum sent me a dozen bags of his home grown tobacco. Varieties I'd never heard of, like Columbian Garcia, Dunkel, Swarr, and so forth. Rolled a fistful of sticks from his stuff this morning: Havana 211 with a touch of Corojo Cuban, bound in Swarr. They are in the perfecto mold now. Gonna wrap them in Garcia. Rolling the dice with these blends. All I can do is go by the way the leaf smells.

Tobacco gardeners have the advantage they can grow whatever they want. The flip side is, good golly, growing the stuff is way too much work for me.

I'll wrap them tonight.

@USHOG here is also over at FTT and sent me some leaf he grew. I took and did a rough chop on a small portion of the leaf, put it in a corn cob pipe, and gave it a taste test before rolling with it. I definitely suggest this when getting new leaf in.

@PJoyce85, I love that pig tail, keep it up!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
@USHOG here is also over at FTT and sent me some leaf he grew. I took and did a rough chop on a small portion of the leaf, put it in a corn cob pipe, and gave it a taste test before rolling with it. I definitely suggest this when getting new leaf in.

I definitely suggest don't do that. Tastes completely different in a pipe, BH. Tried cob, tried briar... no dice. Looked long and hard for an old The Pipe at a decent price, thinking that graphite liner might give true flavor. Then someone suggested white clay, so I tried that. No dice. This stuff just burns different in a pipe.

So now I'm into rolling quickies for the taste test. Only takes a few minutes.

Next time I pass thru Mesa AZ you and I gotta tap a keg and spark a stogie.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I was able to get a decent feel for it in the pipe but it did not burn real well which worried me. Definitely let me know when you will be through, plenty of beer and cigars here!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the advice on the blend. I may try a different Ligero but I think that blend is going to be one of my regular productions.

I have about 6 other blends to try. I'll keep this one, maybe a one a little more spicy and then crank one up for some strength.

Here's a pic of a pig tail I did. I may stick with this finish. Easy and I think it looks cool.

That looks very cool. Reminds me of the Tatuaje Anarchy.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Growing a few plants is actually quite easy. If you have grown tomatoes it is about the same. I grew my plants in 5 gal. plastic pails rather than making a new garden. It allowed me to move them in and out of the sun when needed. The growing was easy. It was the curing / fermenting that was more work....but it was fun.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
damn you guys...I'm almost at the point where I need a new hobby; this may be it.
As our friend and brother @BrewinHooligan stated, DO IT! It's pretty easy to do, and super cheap to get into. The only think you really need to buy is about a 25 dollar leaf kit from whole leaf tobacco, it even comes with some cigar glue to get you started. Everything else you need, you probably own - a pizza cutter and the back side of a cookie sheet or a clean wood cutting board will be enough to get you started on a couple to see how much you love it :)