What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Iholmes

I-hole
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
5/8" ball nose end mill or router bit.
Got it! I had been talking with a couple of the home rollers about whether this method would work or if the over lapping groove was needed. Some old molds have a positive side and a negative. The cavity is a little deeper than half then the positive side helps build more pressure. After seeing dale's it should be an easy project (when I ever get around to it )

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Got it! I had been talking with a couple of the home rollers about whether this method would work or if the over lapping groove was needed. Some old molds have a positive side and a negative. The cavity is a little deeper than half then the positive side helps build more pressure. After seeing dale's it should be an easy project (when I ever get around to it )
I was debating weather or not to use interlocking cavities. Pressure can be added by not cutting the channels to full depth, say by .010" per side or more. My thought was that the molds with interlocks were more of a buildup of individual cavities onto a larger base plate there by ensuring the concentricity of the channels. If you have a mill. Register pins will work just as well and be easier and less time consuming. I found material to build my own Mold and most likely will go this route. I just need to find the machine time. By the way, 5/8" = 40 ring.

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I was debating weather or not to use interlocking cavities. Pressure can be added by not cutting the channels to full depth, say by .010" per side or more. My thought was that the molds with interlocks were more of a buildup of individual cavities onto a larger base plate there by ensuring the concentricity of the channels. If you have a mill. Register pins will work just as well and be easier and less time consuming. I found material to build my own Mold and most likely will go this route. I just need to find the machine time. By the way, 5/8" = 40 ring.
I would like one of those molds!

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
My first 2 home rolls!!! Woot! No they haven't been wrapped yet. I'm going to try that tomorrow.... No bad I guess for my first time. I rolled the leafs into tubes then made the pack. They have a decent draw. I went 50/50 with the Dominican ligero and Nicaragua seco filler. Has a CT broadleaf binder. Have them dry boxing now.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
My first 2 home rolls!!! Woot! No they haven't been wrapped yet. I'm going to try that tomorrow.... No bad I guess for my first time. I rolled the leafs into tubes then made the pack. They have a decent draw. I went 50/50 with the Dominican ligero and Nicaragua seco filler. Has a CT broadleaf binder. Have them dry boxing now.

That's gonna be dick slapping strong man! I know it's hard, but letting them rest a few months will change them dramatically compared to fresh. Smoke one a week or so after its wrapped and try to roll more and sit on the other a while to see exactly what time can do. You will be surprised

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
@BrewinHooligan

Dick slapping strong !! Lmao! I'm going to try and let them rest. Going to try and role a few more tomorrow if I can. Also how to you mix your glue? Thanks
I use distilled water and mix with a fork in a small Tupperware container. Add just a little bit of water at a time until you have a jam like consistency. After using, keep the sealed Tupperware in the fridge.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Originally Posted by MarcL
I like this stuff. Gum Tragacanth, no bad smell or taste, a little goes a long way.

I'll take a half of teaspoon or so, to an once or so of distilled water and, bring it to a boil slowly in the microwave. stirring before and throughout boiling.

It only takes about 50 seconds or so.

I really need to make an exact recipe. I always just kinda mess with it.

This makes a thick paste that, I'll need to add a few drops of water to.

I'll cool it in the refrigerator before and after use.
It will thicken when cooled. and will thin out a little at room temperature.

And will need to ad water when it sits in the open air for too long.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gum-Tragacan...3D230557002789

The recipe I came up with is 8 to 1 parts. that is, 1/2 teaspoon tragacanth powder and 4 teaspoons of distilled water. What I'll do is, using a 2 cup measuring cup, add the ingredients together and, with a stainless steel spatula work out the lumps before heating in the microwave for 40 or so seconds folding 2 or 3 times in between.

I will place the measuring cup on an ice pack and stir it to cool it some before putting it in a small jar. this comes out pretty thick like paste or polish. when in use, it dries fairly quickly. A half of drop of water is enough to bring it back if I leave the cap off for to long but, I tend to have a damp cloth on hand so, I use that instead if I'll need any dampening. I will keep it in the refrigerator when not in use.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That's gonna be dick slapping strong man! I know it's hard, but letting them rest a few months will change them dramatically compared to fresh. Smoke one a week or so after its wrapped and try to roll more and sit on the other a while to see exactly what time can do. You will be surprised
Is the Dom ligero really that strong? I've rolled a few straight ligero fills and the strength just isn't where I want it to be. Though I've never used the Dom ligero.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Is the Dom ligero really that strong? I've rolled a few straight ligero fills and the strength just isn't where I want it to be. Though I've never used the Dom ligero.
Well, I can't get the Dominican ligero anymore and it isn't as strong as Nicaraguan and had already been aged 4 years. Not something completely overwhelming, but a blend I make that is about half Dominican ligero takes about two months of rest before the smoke is enjoyable imo