What's new

Adventures in home rolling

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My 44 from Martinez is awesome and is used almost daily. The 40 ring has 4 damaged slots but with a few rotations they all wind up working. Now I'm kinda wishing I would have got two 44s as I'm loving that size the most. Also wanting to really increase production to be able to justify building or buying a press.
You and I can agree that 44 is the desert island mold. For one thing, you can roll 42 to 46 with it.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Was a short night at Willy's tonight. He just got back from Vegas last night. He managed to sell 700 sticks there. I got 20 bunches in molds tonight under an hour. Better construction this time and less waste. He wants me to come back tomorrow to wrap the bunches that will sit in the molds until tomorrow. He mentioned he needed to order more binder and filler so I piped up and asked if I could piggy back on his order. He was more than open to it and asked me how many pounds. Caught me off guard so I need to do some calculating and let him know tomorrow. He sent me home with some CT shade to de-vein for tomorrow's wrapping session. He also told me what the brown liquid in his other spray bottle is, it's a combination of rum and vanilla. Didn't have time for pictures tonight, but will snap some shots of finished sticks tomorrow.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
How did you guess that? Did you smoke one of his cigars?
He has watched so many videos and done so much research I think he figured that's what it was because it is a pretty common concoction the Cubans use. I do find it interesting he spritzes the leaf with it right before rolling instead of as the leaf ages, but he started rolling when he was 10 and is 65 now. I don't ask why, I know he has forgotten more about cigars than I have learned at this stage.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I literally couldn't exaggerate how much I've read and seen about Cuban cigar rolling over the last year.... gave me a certain intuition about what Willy must be up to. Old Cuban dude with a bottle of brown juice? Rum-vanilla. ;)
Any particular rum in mind? Should I be spritz ing with that instead of water?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure what the reason is for spraying rum at the rolling stage.Alcohol absorbs moisture so I would be concerned that over time the oil's in the leaf would dry up.