What's new

Advice for an anxiety filled rescue dog...?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
My wife and I have a crazy ass 3 year old weimaraner. She was a stubborn dog to train but we broke her and she's a great dog now. She was easy to house break and crate train. She lays in her crate voluntarily for no reason at all at times. She doesn't pee in the house, didn't pee in her crate, and never climbed up on the counter to steal food or other things.

Fast forward to the week before Easter. A classmate from highschool calls my wife that lives in the greater Philadelphia area and tells her there's a 6 month old wemaraner at the rescue she picked her dog up from. My wife of course starts ooohing and aaaaahing about this little big eared innocent eyed puppy. I said no for a good 5-10 minutes because I didn't want to deal with any more dog shit. I eventually got annoyed and said "I won't argue with you anymore but this dog is your problem".

So my wife gets the dog two weeks ago. "Lucky" for us someone pulled strings since we already owned a weim and they picked us (my wife not me) to adopt this hell hound. I know it's a new house but Margot (the new ass pain) peed in the house more times in two weeks than our 3 year old did since we got her. They told us she was crate trained. I can confidently say that was a big fat fucking lie. She barks and barks and barks. I know it's only been two weeks but there's no sign of improvement at all. The minute we put her in there she just goes and goes and goes. Only time we get any sort of a break is at night. Where she might not bark for 3-5 hours at a time. This shit is driving me nuts, I didn't want the little pain in the ass in the first place.

Any suggestions or experience with a dog like this? Currently we are trying some sort of hormone releasing wall plug in for dogs. A friend had one from a problematic dog she rescued and gave it to us since it is a perishable product. We've tried covering the crate like she's a bird, and she just pulls the sheet into the crate with her. Our next step is to begin feeding her in the crate so she associates the crate as a good place that she eats. So hopefully she'll stop pissing in there and she'll stop barking each time she gets put in the crate. I've seriously considered getting her drunk, but she'd probably be a sloppy drunk and puke all over herself or something.

:help:

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Sounds like you need a smaller crate? Their crates should only be big enough for them to stand up and turn around it. If it's big enough where they can pee/poop in one area and move to another area to rest, they will.

Also, they take a lot of f'in work. We adopted a 1 year old Sheltie/Border Collie mix a few months back. He is a great dog, but lots of work. I basically had to take the first week off from work when we got him to get him used to everything.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm certainly not a dog trainer but in my expirience one of the best remedys is exercise. Run the shit out of that dog, make it so that the only thing that dog wants to do is rest. We have a rhodesian ridgeback that's excited as hell still at 2.5 years old. He's a pain in the ass but a wonderful dog when he's tired. Good luck.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Common problem. Especially with rescue dogs. I get several calls a week from people who are having the same issues. For starters I assume she's been checked out by a vet and has a clean bill of health (i.e. no urinary issues that would be causing her to urinate in the kennel/house). Here's some info for you...

Barking

Controlling Problem Barking

Crate Confinement: Is It a Good Choice for Your Dog?

Crate Soiling

Wild Behavior: How to Help Your Dog Settle Down

Hope that helps and feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Dan

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Your situation sounds almost exactly like my beagle I got from the shelter. They told me the same things about him being housetrained and as soon as I took him home he was going in the house, crate anywhere but outside. As soon as I walked out the door the howling started. The only thing that worked for me was patience. It was like I had to train him all over again. Make sure I was taking him out at regular times everyday and learn to pickup on his little hints he needed to go out. As far as the barking and whining it just kinda went over time. Vet said he had seperation anxiety. Seemed like after a while he just got used to the schedule my wife and I have. I actually tried something I saw on the dog whisperer. I would go out the door shut it and come right back in and each time stay out a little longer so he got used to the idea that I was coming back. So long winded sorry I didn't find a quick solution just took time and effort and its totally worth it.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Your situation sounds almost exactly like my beagle I got from the shelter. They told me the same things about him being housetrained and as soon as I took him home he was going in the house, crate anywhere but outside. As soon as I walked out the door the howling started. The only thing that worked for me was patience. It was like I had to train him all over again. Make sure I was taking him out at regular times everyday and learn to pickup on his little hints he needed to go out. As far as the barking and whining it just kinda went over time. Vet said he had seperation anxiety. Seemed like after a while he just got used to the schedule my wife and I have. I actually tried something I saw on the dog whisperer. I would go out the door shut it and come right back in and each time stay out a little longer so he got used to the idea that I was coming back. So long winded sorry I didn't find a quick solution just took time and effort and its totally worth it.
Same thing here with our male husky. Ultimately ditched the crate, too.

The best things I've found are:
1. tons of exercise... when our male was a pup it was a minimum of 2 hrs hard exercise a day (easier to find the time then, not so much now)
2. regular schedule... times to go out, times when we leave, times for exercise, etc.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
So we are going to try a thunder shirt as we have heard good things. Hopefully it provides her some relief for the time being so the transition is smoother.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Sounds like your wife is like my mom getting dogs that do not fit thier lifestyle. My mom brought home a terrier mix cause it was so cute. Little did she know that terriers are just little balls of energy. She said she'd take care of the dog and i wouldn't have to do anything. Well of course the dog was impossible to train untill I had to start taking this dog for long walks to drain all that energy. You have to get them too tired to dissobey.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I highly recommend this book.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cesars-Way-Everyday-Understanding-Correcting/dp/0307337979/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334341384&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems (9780307337979): Cesar Millan, Melissa Jo Peltier: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BWpjinxZL.@@AMEPARAM@@51%2BWpjinxZL[/ame]

My wife got a norfolk terrier rescue for us about 5 years ago and we had a lot of problems at first. After reading this book and taking it's advice, within about a month all the problems were solved. (chewing, dominance issues, problems at night. Issues with our 2 cats) Thankfully he house trained pretty well, but left untouched he would have chewed up everything.

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I'm certainly not a dog trainer but in my expirience one of the best remedys is exercise. Run the shit out of that dog, make it so that the only thing that dog wants to do is rest. We have a rhodesian ridgeback that's excited as hell still at 2.5 years old. He's a pain in the ass but a wonderful dog when he's tired. Good luck.
Smaller crate... most dogs don't like laying in their piss and shit...lol

+1 Exercise is the only thing that works with dogs that have training issues..... I walk my 3 year old energy ball of a golden retriever 6 days a week plus throw the ball after the walk.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Between walks and playing with each other non-stop these two are getting enough exercise. They play so actively that eventually one of them gets tired and wants to stop but the other one wants to keep going. So they're getting tired out.

My wife went away Friday night until Sunday morning. I think this little shit spending time with the hard ass authoritarian of the household was good. She is drastically more quiet than when my wife left. I would like to think it was my training attitude of don't talk to her like she's a human baby like my wife does. I use a firm voice at times and a nice voice to get her in the crate. My wife uses the "happy" voice for almost damn near everything it seems. So I think the dog gets confused by her a little (which I mention).

Friday afternoon I started feeding her in her crate. So now she eats her three meals in her crate and I let her chill and relax for at least 30 min in her crate afterwards. Then I'll take her out to let her out to pee/poop post after her eating and crate time. I do not put water in her crate because she'd probably make a mess so she gets water or ice cubes after the 20-30 min. This seems to be working nicely. Also as a training/calming aid my wife picked up some pheromone spray. I don't know if it's helping or if it's just a natural progression of the dog's acclimation to the training, but she's been quieter since using it. Each time I put her in the crate I give a little spray on the door. Whether it works or not I'll use it till its empty.

Now if I could just get the two of them to not act like absolute spastic idiots when someone walks past the house or they hear a noise outside. That's my next training goal because its nuts and they need to be trained together to not be idiots when people come over.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Now if I could just get the two of them to not act like absolute spastic idiots when someone walks past the house or they hear a noise outside. That's my next training goal because its nuts and they need to be trained together to not be idiots when people come over.
Not true, if you pay attention you'll notice one is the instigator of them spazing out. May not be the one that barks first can be something as suttle as a glance. That is the dog you need to focus on and the other one will fall into line.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Lots of good advise here so far. I have lots of expearance with dogs and horses. PM me if you still need help and I will give you my phone number. There is way to much to discuss to type it all.

I will tell you this much. If a dog goes to the bathroom in the house, it is your fault not the dogs. Please remember that. And if the dog goes to the bathroom in a create, the crate is mostly likely too big.

Regards,

Michael

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My wife and I have rescue dogs and work with those who take them in so we are well aware of their problems. First and foremost Rescue Dogs come from places that we normally do not know what was going on..how they were treated and what their past is. By nature dogs have their own natural inclination to either be dominant or not. Our first rescue dog was great as we worked with him 24 hours a day ( we're retired ) so we had time to dedicate to his training. What we learned with bringing in another rescue dog is that they want to establish dominance so they WILL mark their territory which started a pattern with our first dog...back and forth they would go. We had to part time crate our first dog but that didn't work and our second rescue dog quite peeing altogether...so we had to deal with our first dog. After ensuring it wasn't a medical issue we finally put a diaper on him...he didn't like it at first but he got used to it and only had one accident ( dogs do not like having their own filth on them so that is something that works in their training ) and after that accident he stopped "marking" his territory which was in just one room. It takes a lot of time and work to deal with Rescue Dogs unless you just have one...2 rescue dogs takes diligence and a lot of time to get rid of their past bad habits. Good luck.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Not true, if you pay attention you'll notice one is the instigator of them spazing out. May not be the one that barks first can be something as suttle as a glance. That is the dog you need to focus on and the other one will fall into line.
Normally I'd agree, but I honestly think it's both. I've noticed it in both dogs when the other was crated or elsewhere in the house. They're hyper sensitive to noises outside. When I take the 3year old for a walk she doesn't bark at anything, but she can't bark fast enough when someone's at the door/walking past the house. It sounds more like a messy howl with barks mixed in she gets so excited. The little one isn't as excitable it seems but she's still plenty spastic if you ask me. This could all be that I expect much more out of their behavior but I'll get them there.

I've got the pee issues under control. I've been letting her out with a dry crate and all the happy encouragement shit I'm supposed to do. She's breaking to the training and the routine.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
It sounds like the little monster just needs time, honestly. I volunteer at the Humane Society here in San Diego, and I see similar problems with rescues all the time. I know it's easier to say than it is to endure, but just keep pluggin' away. Obedience classes often work for anxious dogs. The ASPCA here has free classes. Maybe your local shelter has a similar program? Your patience is commendable :)

I adopted-out a Husky mix puppy about two weeks ago and the next morning it was tied up to the cyclone fence outside the shelter. I called the guy and inquired. He said it chewed up his daughter's slipper the first night. He then asked if we had any other puppies that "don't chew things." ...I'll stop there :)