What's new

Advice for cigar sophomores

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wanted to remind those who are not newbies anymore but not quite seasoned vets to make sure you go back and try sticks that may not have appealed to you early on.

When I started out I tried everything I could get my hands on. Dark wrapper, light wrapper, mild, strong, etc. Some cigars really stuck with me as things I wanted to smoke more of but there were a lot of sticks I went through that didn't leave an impression or even left a bad impression. Also, there were a few sticks that knocked me on my butt strength wise and I got scared of them or have a bad experience imprinted in my head of them.

Not only do your flavor preferences change as you evolve as a cigar smoker but your ability to identify and enjoy more subtle flavors develops.

So I challenge anyone 1-5 years into this hobby to force yourself to regularly try something that turned you off in the beginning. You might be surprised what you find.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Good advice arising. My kid got be a box of crowned heads Maximus and the were way to strong for me a year later and mmmmm

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I've seen my palate shift a lot in the past five years.

Before, all I wanted were bold, dark, earthy Nicaraguan maduros. Now I rarely ever smoke them, most leave me with cotton mouth and I find them far to molassasy. I also greatly disliked habano wrappers, and I find myself smoking a lot of them these days. I also used to like the syrupy sweetness of sumatras and now really dislike that syrupyness. I used to love ligero, now I want balance, and I find myself gravitating towards medium bodied, complex cigars. Fortunately, there seem to be a lot of guys putting out stuff right in my wheel house - Crowned Heads, Warped, Dunbarton, Foundation, etc etc etc.

ChipS

Chip
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Before, all I wanted were bold, dark, earthy Nicaraguan maduros. Now I rarely ever smoke them, most leave me with cotton mouth and I find them far to molassasy. I also greatly disliked habano wrappers, and I find myself smoking a lot of them these days. I also used to like the syrupy sweetness of sumatras and now really dislike that syrupyness. I used to love ligero, now I want balance, and I find myself gravitating towards medium bodied, complex cigars. Fortunately, there seem to be a lot of guys putting out stuff right in my wheel house - Crowned Heads, Warped, Dunbarton, Foundation, etc etc etc.
That fairly well describes my transition over the past few years, haven't tried Warped or Dunbarton yet but may have to track some down.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
That fairly well describes my transition over the past few years, haven't tried Warped or Dunbarton yet but may have to track some down.
I have yet to try Dunbarton either, but Warped is fast becoming my favorite brand. The La Hacienda Superiors is my favorite NC out right now, and is pretty cheap, around $6/ea from Small Batch right now. The La Colmena is a fantastic cigar as well as the Futuro. I have yet to have a bad cigar by Kyle and team.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Habanos was a big one for me. I loved them in the beginning, then they quickly grew to mild for me. Loved Tat, CH, big broadleaf Nicaraguan blends. One day, 2 years later, a light just clicked on while smoking a Boli RC, then a few weeks later with a JLP. Haven't looked back since.

I'm sure eventually I'll smoke a Dominican cigar and fall in love. My tastes haven't really been consistent in this for more then q8 months or so.

For now though, Habanos is where it's at for me.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Great advice. I still try to keep an open mind when it comes to this subject. There are so many great cigars out there that I am sure I have yet to try. So I just always try to smoke something different to stay out of a rut.