What's new

Advice from Washington DC BOTLs

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I will be in DC for a conference the 18th - 23rd. I will be staying at the Gaylord National Hotel and Convention Center. It looks like the hotel is out of the city and I am looking for some advice on someplace close I can sneak away to have a smoke, if that is possible.

Thanks for all of your help?

Costa

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Shelly's is about the only non cigar place in DC anymore since the smoking ban went into effect. I do not visit DC very often (live in MD) but Google or look up cigar shops in DC that have a lounge. Like Peace says Drapers I hear is pretty sweet downtown shop.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Gaylord is a beautiful facility. Thankfully, the weather should be nice. Because, it isn't the most convenient location for a BOTL. Hope you'll have a car. You won't be very close to metro and I don't know anything about the buses out there.
If you have a car, you have a few more options. As mentioned, Shelley's is very good and not a difficult trip if you have a car and can find a place to park. Feel free to BYO. Their selection is limited and expensive. However, there is no cutting fee and they don't mind in the least if you bring yours in. Haven't been to Draper's on 14th in a while, but always was a good shop; however hours are quite limited (seem to always be closed at the times that I'm in the area) and I heard you can't smoke in the shop now. I'm not familiar with B&M's right in the area you'll be in, but there are plenty of decent ones in metro area....assuming you have transportation...

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Sounds like Shelly's is the place! Thanks to everyone for their feedback and advice. Dave, you confirmed my concern on the location of the hotel. I won't have a car so it looks like I will be praying for some nice weather and finding a nice bench somewhere, or jumping in a cab to Shelly's!

Thanks again everyone!

Costa

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
The Gaylord is a HUGE convention based hotel/area, south of the city. The best thing would be to head towards Drapers/Shellys but bummer you wont' have a car. I'm sure there are buses that go downtown but not sure what your time schedule is like. Shellys is just around the corner from Drapers so you can go to Drapers which is THE shop in the DC/VA/MD area and then head to Shellys.

True you can't smoke at Drapers anymore except on Saturdays so if you're able to go on Saturday, you get the best of both worlds. The steakhouse at the Gaylord, name escapes me right now but its the on on the hotel grounds, actually has a cigar patio so if the weather is good, you can go there. If at all possible, I"d try to get downtown. Drapers is a shop you have to check out. G1

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Great news about the cigar patio. I am having dinner there on Tuesday night, but i am sure I will sneak out there several more times. I am going to look into cabbing it or a car service to get downtown, and try to get to Shelly's on Friday or Sunday. I really appreciate the advice and if I make out I will be sure to report back how the experience was.

The Gaylord is a HUGE convention based hotel/area, south of the city. The best thing would be to head towards Drapers/Shellys but bummer you wont' have a car. I'm sure there are buses that go downtown but not sure what your time schedule is like. Shellys is just around the corner from Drapers so you can go to Drapers which is THE shop in the DC/VA/MD area and then head to Shellys.

True you can't smoke at Drapers anymore except on Saturdays so if you're able to go on Saturday, you get the best of both worlds. The steakhouse at the Gaylord, name escapes me right now but its the on on the hotel grounds, actually has a cigar patio so if the weather is good, you can go there. If at all possible, I"d try to get downtown. Drapers is a shop you have to check out. G1

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
costacoug, I'll be at Shelly's at about 7 tonight. Small herf to execute a box pass with some BOTL's from cigarbid forums. If you make it down tonight, look me up -- if you think you'll be there, let me know and I'll pm you details

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Drapers is where you go to pick up cigars, and it's a 60 second walk to shelly's.. And there's no smoking in drapers at except Saturday for now.. The Gaylord is not really close to any cigar shops, there the tinder box also in Waldorf, and they have a nice selection as well as a lounge area, complete with libations, and TV's