What's new

Advice on which cigars to buy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I joined this site a couple of weeks ago and could not be more thankful for all of the information the members have shared with me. Since that time, my first humidor has arrived and I have begun the seasoning process. Without question, I admit that I am very new to the brotherhood and have a very limited knowledge about cigars. However, one thing I do know is that smoking a cigar has quickly become a favorite relaxation activity and a great way to do a little bonding with friends.

Now that my humidor is on its way to being seasoned (I stop here to admit how hard it has been not to open the top and just look in), I have been scouring the forums, trying to figure out which cigars I would like to try and eventually stock my humidor with. Many of the reviews have been helpful and I would like to thank those people for posting them.

I am hoping to get as many of you as possible to give your opinion on some great cigars I should try out. There is a stipulation on this request because I am a law student and under my scholarship I cannot hold a job so money will be tight for at least another couple of years. That being said, I would appreciate cigar opinions on all different levels of pricing (those I can save to afford now all the way through those I hope my legal career will afford me the luxury of trying down the road). If you wouldn't mind, just make a note if its an expensive cigar. If it is suggested that it is that good, I might save a little longer and get a couple to try. I will be compiling a list of all the cigars suggested as I HOPE to eventually try them all eventually.

Also, I am aware of the newbie sampler and would be interested in trying it out whenever I gain access to the marketplace. Many people I have asked have told me to be wary of the premade samplers as they are usually not worth it, but I hear this one is made by a member so I will prob give it a shot.

Anyway, thank you and I will be keeping up with this post over the next few weeks at least, so please don't hesitate to share your suggestions and info.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Let me start off by saying I'm a freshman in college, and money is quite tight for me as well. I started off smoking quorums, and flor de olivas. Quorums are horrible in my opinion, but the flor de oliva isn't too bad for around 2.50 a stick. That's for a REALLY cheap cigar! Others you may want to look into is the Arturo Fuente line. There's plenty of sticks made by Arturo, in all different sizes and blends.

I honestly think that you should just go into the tobacco shop, and stock up on about ten singles that range in price, and go from there. You have to develop your own taste, and see what kind of flavors you enjoy in a cigar. Once you have that basis down, it will be easier for people to help you pinpoint certain sticks that follow this general pattern.

Good luck with the stick hunt, and keep on smokin'!!

-Dave

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
Let me start off by saying I'm a freshman in college, and money is quite tight for me as well. I started off smoking quorums, and flor de olivas. Quorums are horrible in my opinion, but the flor de oliva isn't too bad for around 2.50 a stick. That's for a REALLY cheap cigar! Others you may want to look into is the Arturo Fuente line. There's plenty of sticks made by Arturo, in all different sizes and blends.

I honestly think that you should just go into the tobacco shop, and stock up on about ten singles that range in price, and go from there. You have to develop your own taste, and see what kind of flavors you enjoy in a cigar. Once you have that basis down, it will be easier for people to help you pinpoint certain sticks that follow this general pattern.

Good luck with the stick hunt, and keep on smokin'!!

-Dave
Good call on that one. Does everyone start off with Flor De Olivas???

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Good call on that one. Does everyone start off with Flor De Olivas???
I dunno...maybe. They're great knock-around sticks, and still provide me with a pleasurable smoking experience even though my pallet has changed a bit. First bundle I buy is gonna be these...good to hand out at parties and stuff. mmm...parties. Just pre-gaming for one as I type.

Good luck with the stick hunt!!

-Dave

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Padron classics are very good cigars and the smaller sizes are inexpensive. A few other ideas for good inexpensive cigars: Quintero, Cuba aliados, Omar ortez originals and el baton.

Good luck... Best thing about law school is that it does end... Never too soon to start aging that victory cigar in your new humi. May wanna get some recommendations for that one too.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is name for a such kind of humidor. You can choose hundreds of humidors with good humidification functionality.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, like Dave and you, am also a college student on a college student budget :). After many attempts at finding a favorite cigar at a very reasonable and budget-friendly college budget, I would DEFINITELY recommend, without hesitation, these two beauties:

Tatuaje Havana VI - Angeles
Padron 3000 - Natural

Both consistently flavorful. These two fit my description of a cigar I have found to be a winner every time I chose them; I don't expect on finding an exception. IF these two fit your flavor profile, then spectacular.

-Aaron

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
My advice if you want advice is that you give us more information!

• Which cigars have you smoked so far?
  • Of those, which ones did you enjoy and those you disliked? And why?
  • Are you looking for a mild, medium smoke or want a lot of punch in a cigar? Everyone has different desires in what they're looking for.
  • Find the cigars you enjoy for yourself. Experiment. Try new things. It's about making the journey, yours.
  • Build friendships with your fellow brothers. Learn what the brotherhood is about.
  • And lastly, Enjoy the ride!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice if you want advice is that you give us more information!

• Which cigars have you smoked so far?
  • Of those, which ones did you enjoy and those you disliked? And why?
  • Are you looking for a mild, medium smoke or want a lot of punch in a cigar? Everyone has different desires in what they're looking for.
  • Find the cigars you enjoy for yourself. Experiment. Try new things. It's about making the journey, yours.
  • Build friendships with your fellow brothers. Learn what the brotherhood is about.
  • And lastly, Enjoy the ride!
Well good point, so let's start answering these questions.

All of the premiums I have tried have really been gifts. I have been blessed to have met some very generous people over the years. My first real cigar was a cohiba a classmate gave me so that we could celebrate finishing our first semester of law school. Great cigar, great time. Second was a Davidoff Millennium Blend (a Christmas gift), also an enjoyable smoke. I tried a Man-o-War Ruination, but was not too impressed with it. I felt almost like I had to labor through it even though I generally like a fuller tasting cigar. I bought a few cigars yesterday for the super bowl (Go Saints!). I smoke a rocky Patel 1992 vintage during the game as we started to take the lead and then a RP Gran reserva after. The Gran reserva is currently my favorite cigar, but that could be just because of the atmosphere it was smoked in. Bourbon was insane and it was just great. Best cigar I have ever smoked was a Padron 80th aniv. edition (also another present from the classmate while we studied). That was truly a phenomenal cigar, but I just can't afford them.

Generally, I like medium to fuller cigars. It seems to depend on what time of day I am smoking though. I'd prefer a milder to medium cigar during the day or afternoon, but really like a full bodied cigar in the evening/night time.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For around the 5 dollar range, cigarmonster or joe cigar has pepin samplers and fivers and 10'ers of various smokes by pepin garcia. You just have to keep an eye out. Also check out the the post your deals page on this forum. Be careful. You might wind up nickel and diming youself to death. Other inexpensive smokes on my list. Little havana overruns, nicaraguan overrruns from holts. Have not tried yet but for 40 a bundle, its worth a shot. I try to keep myself in check with spending online. I still hit up the brick and morter every few months for higher price sticks.

The new la aroma de cuba blend is pretty tasty to try. However let it sit for a while after purchase as it seemed a little young. It is fairly inexpensive. 6 to 9 dollar range.

Wow I just mentioned pepin 4 times in one post. I guess I am an official whore.

Its all to hell now

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
Any stick by Rocky Patel is a good smoke. Most common: Vintage 1990, Olde World Reserve, Edge...My favs: Edge, Patel Bros, and 1961....ALSO, E.O. 601 makes great blends...Espinosa Ortega knows his stuff!

Keep Smoking!

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
PM me your addy. I will get you a few "cheapies" to try.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fuente makes a bunch of quality mild to medium body cigars that are not very expensive. Short story was mentioned...Great cigar 1/2 hour smoke for $5.. Oliva also has a wide variety of high quality assorted smokes for short money. Buy them in pairs and smoke them with diff drinks to enjoy the subtle differences. Get a notebook and start recording your tastings for future referrence. Enjoy!!