What's new

Advice on which cigars to buy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think for the price and the fact that i have never had a problem with the taste or quality any thing that oliva makes is a winner.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Padron 2000 maduro, Arganese CL3, Gran Habano corojo #5, and Diesel. Those are a few I can come up with off the top of my head. Some of the best for the price.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all of the comments. Sorry I have been away from this site for a while. Mardi Gras went a little wild and I have been trying to catch up on work since. I tried a few Rocky Patels through the festivities, an old world reserve and a 1992 vintage. both very good.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Many people I have asked have told me to be wary of the premade samplers as they are usually not worth it, ...
I will have to disagree on this one. Once your establish a "base" of cigars you prefer, I would agree. However, just starting out, who knows what you'll like? These samplers are a good way to try out cigars you otherwise wouldn't. I would totally suggest these samplers just to "think outside the box" if you will, just while you're starting out.

PM me your addy. I will get you a few "cheapies" to try.
:applause:

i think for the price and the fact that i have never had a problem with the taste or quality any thing that oliva makes is a winner.

I agree.

I have never been a fan of the flor de oliva's, but I have heard of alot of people that are.

Notes:
One of my favorites in the less expensive (and favorites overall to be honest) is the Diesel. Also, you may like Nubs, Fuente 8-5-8 (thanks FunkeJJ!!), anything Pepin, 5 Vegas Relics, 5 Vegas Cask Strength IIs, just to name a few.

Also, check out seconds and overruns. I prefer the Fire by Indian Tabac (they're released periodically but looks like they're in stock now) and the Super Premium Seconds, which are basically Punch seconds. I have had great experience with seconds. Some are hit or miss, you get a plug here and there, but it's worth the gamble. If you don't want to take a plunge on a whole bundle (you wont get seconds in boxes) split a bundle with someone on here.

Don't be afraid of $2-$3 smokes. Some people have more liquid assets and are able to purchase more pricey cigars, but in cases like yours ya take what you can get. It's all up to you, do you want to purchase a few pricey cigars or purchase several middle tier cigars that you still enjoy and will have more of? It's all up to you!

Check out http://www.cigarstalker.com/, it links to Cigar Monster, Joe Cigar (Jams), and Cigar.com's daily deals. It'll send updates to your email or phone each time there's a new cigar. This comes in handy to get some awesome deals if you're patient and wait for em.

Why don't you PM me your addy and I'll send you a few suggestions?

I don't think there is name for a such kind of humidor. You can choose hundreds of humidors with good humidification functionality.
"We eat ham, and jam, and spam a lot."
Did I miss something????
it was this guy:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd toss my HO in for Perdomo Frescos. I have a particular affinity towards maduros and the Fresco has been a golf staple of mine. I just smoked a Omar Ortez Maduro last night and it wasn't bad. Girlfriend said she liked it a bitmore than my other smokes because I had a hint of vanilla smell to me when I came back inside. (Whatever works right?).

Anyway, good luck on law school, it'll be over before you know it. Where are you attending?

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
PM me your addy. I will get you a few "cheapies" to try.
Pass that addy over here. I have a budget sampler I can get out to him as well. I am looking to clear some shelf space for some purchases coming in so this would work out for him.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Jope, like you and Robinsond, well almost (recent grad), I've been looking for some sticks that fit the budget. So far my favorite cigar for price is the Perdomo La Tradicion Cabinet Series (I've tried the 'R' - robusto vitola). It's also called the limited oscuro on some sites. Currently there is a special that averages to 4.00$ for a 5'er and 3.00$ per stick for a box.

In my very limited experience I found it was a great smoke. I mentally was drawing comparisons to the My Father's (Garcia and Garcia) I smoked previously. Yet, wasn't 10.00$ a stick. I should receive my box next week. I'll shoot you a PM.

shottabacardi

Padronhead
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, for a guy looking for inexpensive, you probably should not have smoked that 80th. my first cigar was a padron 1964 maduro #2, or box pressed torpedo, and after smoking through tons of those, which i basically could only afford if i saved up til the end of the week, i ruined myself for cheap cigars. man-o-war coronas are a good inexpensive heavy smoke, and oliva ct's are a great (what I call) morning cigar. The ct's are one of the first light cigars I have actually enjoyed, as it is a very flavorful smoke for such a mild stick. I don't know where these guys are getting short stories for 5 bucks, but if thats what they cost near you, def pick one of those up. You've already smoked the cigar I would have suggested for a end of school victory dance (the 80th), but another great one would be the padron 45 year 1964 maduro which was just released not too long ago. not as pricey as the 80th, but a family reserve smoke that had an amazing espresso flavor as well as the spice found mainly in the 26, imo. olivas are probably some of the best budget cigars out there, and Alec Bradley occidentals are also some great budget buys if you are into light smokes, tho i'm not sure if they are still produced. when you have money finally, definately get into padrons, I mean, for the money i don't know what a better cigar is. Gispert makes some decent cheap light smokes, and Primos are also a good value cigar, tho you have to be careful because they like to overpack their sticks most of the time. just feel em for knots or stems, and if they give, they are most likely fine. Make sure you let us know what you end up trying and liking, so we can see your progression as a new smoker. that is always a rewarding thing to see how someone progresses from trying singles to buying boxes. hope i've been somewhat helpful.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Welcome bro! First of all I'm not not a struggling college student anymore. (thank God) But I am always looking for good deals. With cigars, in most cases, you get what you pay for. However you can still find good deals on good smokes. First you have to decide what you like. Full, medium, or mild smokes. I like em all! Here are some of my favorites that don't cost an arm and a leg.
Gran Habano Connecticut no. 1
Perdomo 10th Champagne
Perdomo 10th Criollo
Oliva Series G Cameroon (Really like these)
Rocky Patel Vintage 92
CAO Brazilia
Don Pepin Garcia Blue (Love em)
Padron 2000,3000 series maduro
Don KiKi brown or green label
Partagas Black
Padilla Achilles
Padilla Habano
Cant forget Tatuaje brown or red.
Many more I cant think of right now. Also shop around. Some good deals can be found on Cigar Bid. When I use CBid I try to never pay more than I what I've seen somewhere else. You'll see some people on there paying over retail! Another thing, some brothers on here are some real Ballers! Don't try to keep up with them if you cant! Or before you know it you'll be broke hungry but have two coolers packed with prime cigars! : ) Of course every now and then you should treat yourself to a good cigar. Christmas, birthdays,cook outs and so on are good times to break out that $15-$20 smoke you've been sitting on.

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Speaking of Factory Seconds, go over to JR and get some Consuegras. I like the 84 EMS. They are seconds from the Villazon factory, where a lot of pretty spendy smokes are manufactured. I have never had a construction or burn problem, although I have heard of others having one on ocassion that was unsmokable. They have always been dependable for me.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Wanted to add Gran Habano #5 Corojo Vintage 2002 to my tries. Had one last night instead of a pig because of the weather. It was a great smoke. Crazy polish for a large slurpee (2.00 a stick).

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Soooo many recomendations...there goes your college budget, huh? LOL!
Here are my inexpensive go too's
Oliva V
Brick House
Casa Magna
Toboo cigars