What's new

After a year and a half...

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I've been carrying to work for about a year and half. The owner and the manager both said its fine. This morning someone saw it and complained. The Foreman said i had to take it to my truck. I no i don't, 1 I'm legal and 2 its company policy that i can carry. 3 I've been carrying everyday for over a year and someone just now noticed. Fucking whiny ass baby! Needless to say I'm still at work working and I all have my gun on me.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Yes! You are very lucky indeed! At my company, it is policy that you cannot even keep a gun in your car in the parking lot. So if an employee chooses to be compliant, he/she must disarm before driving to work....which absolutely sucks!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Yes! You are very lucky indeed! At my company, it is policy that you cannot even keep a gun in your car in the parking lot. So if an employee chooses to be compliant, he/she must disarm before driving to work....which absolutely sucks!
Rick, you may want to look in to that further. That exact case has been fought and won in many states. Where are you located?
If this directly effects you (you want to carry) I can dig up more info if you'd like... On principal alone it sure would be nice for someone to drop some case law on HR's desk! 👍😆

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Look into your state law, this isn't right and I was pretty sure Michigan law says that you can carry and leave it in your car if your company doesn't allow you to carry on premises. The reasoning is that your company doesn't have the right to tell you that you can't be protected from your house to the office, thats overreaching their limits. In Ohio they used to have the same policy until someone got fired and fought it and won. Now I can carry to work, just have to leave it in the car.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I've been carrying to work for about a year and half. The owner and the manager both said its fine. This morning someone saw it and complained. The Foreman said i had to take it to my truck. I no i don't, 1 I'm legal and 2 its company policy that i can carry. 3 I've been carrying everyday for over a year and someone just now noticed. Fucking whiny ass baby! Needless to say I'm still at work working and I all have my gun on me.
is it an actual policy? or do you just have permission from an owner/boss?

If its in the policy manual... you've got a pretty clear cut case... simply tell him (politely) that he would be violating a policy by ordering you to take it off.. and refuse.. quote chapter and verse.. show him exactly where the policy is located and exactly what it says... that way you leave him no wiggle room..

points 1 and 3 really dont matter.. carrying for 1 day or 50 years is inconsequential.. and being "legal" by state law (Im assuming youre stating you have a permit?) vs in compliance with company policy are two completely different things... a company can absolutely tell you "no" if they choose to...

lots of decent information on the "rules" around different state laws here (indiana specifically linked below)...

http://www.usacarry.com/indiana_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

All that said... to be honest.. the simplest solution is... continue to carry...

if you are carrying concealed.. it is no ones business.. and frankly.. no one should know... if you conceal it properly.. you should be able to go into a full blown zoomba routine for 20 minutes and no one would see it or be any wiser..

Last edited:

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I'll have to read through all these comments on my break. but as far as someone seeing, I run a punch press and sometimes when I'm grabbing parts out of the box my shirt comes up over it. I keep it covered the best I can. Boss said he didn't care I could open carry if I wanted

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I'll have to read through all these comments on my break. but as far as someone seeing, I run a punch press and sometimes when I'm grabbing parts out of the box my shirt comes up over it. I keep it covered the best I can. Boss said he didn't care I could open carry if I wanted
Gotcha.

If it happens frequently, I would be reconsidering my carry practices.

Also, not sure what IN's laws are, but in many states... something like that is considered brandishing, and can land you in hot water.

If you're good with both state laws and company policy, I wouldn't worry about it too much. But, I'm still a big fan of "concealed means concealed."

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
We actually don't have a company policy. I'm best friends with the boss (who is the owners son). He actually asked me to carry. The owner is in the same boat. He keeps one on him as well.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
We actually don't have a company policy. I'm best friends with the boss (who is the owners son). He actually asked me to carry. The owner is in the same boat. He keeps one on him as well.
Then I'd approach the boss and the owner and, together, write up a policy that states the company has no objections to CC.

Frankly, that's not my preferred position since we live in a free country - meaning absent a law preventing something, you're allowed to do it. But considering that guns in general - and carrying specifically - are hot button topics for people on both sides of the debate, a policy that merely serves to reaffirm the company's acceptance of employees carrying a concealed weapon would help shield both you and the company from potential liability if the complaining employee were to file some sort of grievance.

Just a thought

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Then I'd approach the boss and the owner and, together, write up a policy that states the company has no objections to CC.

Frankly, that's not my preferred position since we live in a free country - meaning absent a law preventing something, you're allowed to do it. But considering that guns in general - and carrying specifically - are hot button topics for people on both sides of the debate, a policy that merely serves to reaffirm the company's acceptance of employees carrying a concealed weapon would help shield both you and the company from potential liability if the complaining employee were to file some sort of grievance.

Just a thought
I was actually thinking about that. And then have it posted that CC is permitted in this building

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't get why some people always gotta worry about things that don't concern them. If it isn't bothering him, or affecting him in any way then why even complain
It's because everyone who has no content to their lives just love to play victim. If they are miserable they might as well make everyone else miserable. Sad shift in our culture...

HillbillyPyro

that's what she said
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I don't get why some people always gotta worry about things that don't concern them. If it isn't bothering him, or affecting him in any way then why even complain
It's because everyone who has no content to their lives just love to play victim. If they are miserable they might as well make everyone else miserable. Sad shift in our culture...
This is more true than what people will ever admit

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If it's that big of an issue invest in a smaller piece and address the carry practice like mwlabel suggested. Something is better than nothing, but the same can be said for a job.