What's new

Aged 4-6 yrs 8 box macanudo crystal glass tubo

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just after people's opinions on this cigar as I'm contemplating it's purchase.

aged 4-6 yrs 8ct box macanudo crystal glass tubo

I've never tried an aged cigar also never tried a macanudo but have wanted to try both, It's in a smaller vitola 5 1/2 by 50 (I prefer robustos so this is good ) and from reviews I've read is a mild cigar again which is good as I prefer mild to medium cigars and the glass tubes all make it a bit fancy too, so it's ticking all the right boxes for me.

Cost of box is $30 and As I'm in Australia there will be import taxes of approximately $70 so I'm looking at $100 total ( not sure if I'm allowed to post the $$$ if so please pm and ill edit post and remove $$$)

So lets here your opinions

Cheers fellas !! ;)

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Mild cigars do not do well with age. They just lose whatever flavor they ever originally had.

Plus, avoid Macanudo.

Easy decision: pass.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Pass with a bit of advice. Before you ever buy a box and/or aged anything smoke a single. 5er if you like it ....by the end of the 5er box it if you love it. Depending on how fast you smoke em you'll see what rest (a few months) or age (year plus) does to the stick. But that single gives you a reference....then as they said mild is typically not going to develop into anything or become more complex. And 4-6 is really cable guy-ish lol is it 4 or 6 years old

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
What is mostly available here are romeo y Julieta, cohiba and Don Thomas, but I like to experiment with different marcas and flavours; enjoy maduros and sizewise I tend to like rings around 44-56

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Point taken lads thanks for the help ;)

Good question herf dog what should I look for in an aged cigar ?

I prefer a mild to medium cigar robusto vitola or not much bigger and don't mind the big gauges too ( so far -still have a few cigars to try !)

As mwlabel said mild would lose a bit of its flavour so would I be right in assuming I could go for a stronger cigar and the aging process would mellow it ?

Cheers !

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Point taken lads thanks for the help ;)

Good question herf dog what should I look for in an aged cigar ?

I prefer a mild to medium cigar robusto vitola or not much bigger and don't mind the big gauges too ( so far -still have a few cigars to try !)

As mwlabel said mild would lose a bit of its flavour so would I be right in assuming I could go for a stronger cigar and the aging process would mellow it ?

Cheers !
It's hard to describe what makes a cigar ripe for aging. Generally you do want a stronger flavor to start with, but strong flavor isn't the only thing - some cigars go quite flat after a couple years. Others will be a bit rough around the edges now, but you can tell there's some underlying quality, and they get get smoother and more complex in years to come.

You're going to want to look for complexity of flavor, and a sense that the flavors are going to continue to develop. Smoking a few great cigars will give you a baseline for what you're looking for, and you'll begin to recognize that potential in other smokes as you go. That sense will partially come just with time (though admittedly, for some sticks it's a bit of a crapshoot even for veteran smokers to predict.)

I'd highly recommend you look at some of the CCs available, there are a number that will be great both now and in the years to come, so you'll be able to experience both immediate gratification as well as the reward of seeing how they continue to get better as they age. If you like mild-to-medium flavors, many of the CCs are going to be right up your alley, but will also have the legs to get better over time.

My advice is to just keep smoking cigars for a while. After a bit, your palate will begin to detect things you didn't notice before, and you'll get a sense when you smoke something if you think it might be better in a few months/years. Along the way your stash will slowly grow and age, a few sticks here, a few sticks there. For example, I have Opus in my humi I got fresh when I started smoking, and didn't think I'd have the patience to age them. I actually didn't have the patience, but turns out I didn't have to, it just sort of happened as I smoked other sticks. Well, years later, they're smoking great with 3-4 years of age. I only have a couple left, but I now know what an older Opus tastes like, and can make an informed decision on whether or not they're worth it. Meantime, I've been buying other cigars, and as I go back to them, I get to find out how they smoke over time.

It's a slow process, but like all good things, patience is rewarded. I'm half a decade into this hobby, and I'm still feeling relatively green about it all. But I know a lot more now than I used to!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Stogieninja thx for all the info and your time to write the above. Fortunately being in Australia ccs are everywhere and I've enjoyed quite a few :) however they are expensive eg a single monte 2 on avg $38-$45 . So I import and save a fortune in both NCs and ccs .I've Now got appx 25 different NCs in my humi and 10 or so Cubans some I've tried and am saving and some are there to help me with what I like and find my palate so to speak. I'd say I've tried 15 or so different NCs and same ccs . Still have the same amount in different brands to try again hahaha spewin . I've already narrowed my preferred size and gauge down and for now I like a milder cigar. I'll keep my eyes out for some aged ccs or NCs for that matter just so I can compare to a non aged cigar . Thx again ;)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I like aged Cameroon cigars for a milder smoke. Don Carlos or Partagas Decadas NC. Ashton Maduro is another one that shines as it gets older.

I disagree with the 'avoid Macanudo' sentiment. If you haven't tried it, Macanudos are consistent and affordable. There's a reason they are one of the most popular brands in the world. You may decide that there are better things out there and move on, but my advice is smoke everything and decide for yourself.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm with Calixto here, Macanudo Cafe Hyde Park are the cigars that started my passion for this hobby.

To follow up on Stogie Ninja, try all different kinds and find what you like, then start looking at aging the sticks.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I like aged Cameroon cigars for a milder smoke. Don Carlos or Partagas Decadas NC. Ashton Maduro is another one that shines as it gets older.

I disagree with the 'avoid Macanudo' sentiment. If you haven't tried it, Macanudos are consistent and affordable. There's a reason they are one of the most popular brands in the world. You may decide that there are better things out there and move on, but my advice is smoke everything and decide for yourself.
By all means, smoke what you want to smoke and enjoy it. But it's not surprising when a guy in an enthusiast forum doesn't like them. They have a market, and I imagine most of us have tried them, but there are better smokes for his pricey purchase.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I ended up passing on these lads but do adhere to the advice of trying all and making my own decision after . I was looking for a cheap purchase and thought these might of been it , not to sweat it though . I've got some ligas and a few others on the way :) #9 , uf 13, dirty rat amongst others :) woohoo

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeh I know I'm thinking ahead as I'm sure eventually Ill turn to stronger gars and at least these can get some age in the process got them at a good price so why not lol cheers