What's new

Aged Cubans

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I’m not the expert, but I’m gonna guess that most guys will say, “they just do”.

That said, I find that sometimes I get a box that burns great ROTT, and I force myself to save some back, then later I try them and wonder where the magic went... for example, FEB 18 PLPC that arrived late 2019. 5-7 years is the magic number for PLPC? No way - I burned through that box in under 2 months. And many will tell you that SLR Regios are better when they’re young - myself included. But yes, I frequently smoke something ROTT and say to myself, “these aren’t ready yet” and jot down the box and date so I can come back to them later. It’s hard to say what exactly it is that makes them “not ready yet”, but if you smoke a $10 stick and say to yourself “this is not what I expect for a $10 stick”, then there’s a good chance it’s just “not ready yet”

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Cuba doesn’t age anything before shipping. They roll it, box it and ship it. Everywhere else they sit for a minimum of 6 months, usually longer. The reason for that is to let the lead break down and the ammonia and other chemicals dissipate. Most Cubans need a year. Some need more. As to cigars losing the “it” so quickly, it could have to do with storage conditions. Most shops keep the cigars at 75% RH (or higher) because people are always in and out. If you’re like me and keep yours around 65%, that can really affect the way a cigar burns and tastes. Some cigars can dramatically change at different humidities, but usually it’s just subtleties in flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
aged cigars have mellowed and become more seamless, and seem to burn better.

aromas are appealing, and the experience is different from when a stick is young.

so far I don't notice anything I have starting to diminish, and some of my sticks are 10 years old.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
aged cigars have mellowed and become more seamless, and seem to burn better.

aromas are appealing, and the experience is different from when a stick is young.

so far I don't notice anything I have starting to diminish, and some of my sticks are 10 years old.
Glad you posted here - I think my take on some cigars just not being ready to burn for a while was pretty much a stolen quote from you in another thread, lol

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
also..... CCs can swing from high to low and back the first year.

pretty good at 3 mo., then not so good at 6 mo.

better at 10 mo, and better again at 13 mo.

There are no solid "rules " covering all sticks.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
Depends on the cigar, any cigar can go through a sick period. Some are good new some are good with some age always good to buy a box and some boxes will differ and just smoke a cigar once every 6 months and see how they do

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Depends on the cigar, any cigar can go through a sick period. Some are good new some are good with some age always good to buy a box and some boxes will differ and just smoke a cigar once every 6 months and see how they do
WHAT UP DUDE

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
Thanks to asking this on the multiple forums I belong to, some extremely generous members have sent me a fair number of well aged cc's to try and see for myself what differences there are.

Many thanks to everyone in the great Cigar community.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stuff spans between now - 1993
Here is my take
- everything said about letting them rest longer if they don’t taste good is so true
- there isn’t a “formula” for which Years they are good or bad, each box seems to age a little differently
- In the majority of Cubans, there can be some big swings in flavor profile over the years
- This rollercoaster ride of flavors, and that Cuban twang are what really makes cubans different than anything else out there (IMO)

Im more of a smoker than a collector, and my rule of thumb is that if they taste good... dig in!
If not do this...
- take a second mortgage on your home, or get a bunch of new credit cards
- start buying boxes until you find something that smokes great
- let the others rest, but sample on occasion until you find a box that’s starting to hit
- dig in to that box for a bit

for the record, I’m not a certified financial planner