What's new

Aged Las Calaveras 2015?

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So when the Las Calaveras 2015 were released, I bought 1 box of each vitola. The boxes have been sitting in a large tupperdor since June at 67% and 64 degrees. I have not touched them since. Tonight I opened the LC 50 box. The aroma was over-powering with deliciousness. Now I don't even want to smoke the cigars. I want them to age for another year. Am I crazy? Should I just start smoking them? Or should I wait another year? Advice greatly appreciated. What I really mean: Will they get any better over time?

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Take out 5'ers of each. See how they smoke, write a review. Put the others away for another year.

Sent from my cellular device via Tap to Talk
That actually sounds like a great idea. But do what you feel. If you really want to just let them sit go for it! With a box of each though, I would probably smoke at least one of each just to see where they are, just because I would really want to know.

jonnylieberman

Ask Me About Outrage
Rating - 97.5%
53   1   0
With 3 boxes I would start smoking them, if you let em age and they aren't what they were then you loose out. Saying you don't want to smoke them because they are great doesn't make any sense to me. Smoke em up and when they are gone move on to the next cigar. Life's too short to wait around.
Exactly. In a year, they might be bad. Who knows? At least smoke some of them now.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
#YOLO, I am sorry I had too. This could be a case like the Mule Kick, they were amazing ROTT but then they mellowed way to much and just turned unexciting. Or they could be like one of my fav. stick CC Maduro 5 that sat for 8 years and turned out to be the special stick I had hoped it would be. Do what you feel is best and enjoy the ride, breaking it up into yearly 5'ers doesn't sound bad though, could push you into 5 years and you can enjoy a 5er a year.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
#YOLO, I am sorry I had too. This could be a case like the Mule Kick, they were amazing ROTT but then they mellowed way to much and just turned unexciting. Or they could be like one of my fav. stick CC Maduro 5 that sat for 8 years and turned out to be the special stick I had hoped it would be. Do what you feel is best and enjoy the ride, breaking it up into yearly 5'ers doesn't sound bad though, could push you into 5 years and you can enjoy a 5er a year.
I smoked a Mule fairly recently and thought they aged out really well. Different of course but still nice.
To OP I'd at least smoke one every 4-6 months to see how they're coming along. It's also pretty cool to see how the profile changes over time.

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
smoke em. you might be holding on to something that's not even in your wheelhouse. id be pissed if i held onto something for years and i didnt like it. as others have said, they are smoking great right now.
as for aging...smoke one per month or one every other month like the others have recommended.... once you think they have aged perfectly, start smoking them faster. you dont want them to age-out - not all cigars age well. like @Craig Mac said, life is short... smoke up and when they are gone, move on.

also.... there will be a 2016 version...

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With 3 boxes I would start smoking them, if you let em age and they aren't what they were then you loose out. Saying you don't want to smoke them because they are great doesn't make any sense to me. Smoke em up and when they are gone move on to the next cigar. Life's too short to wait around.
I agree with this completely esp. since I have a few boxes of the 2015. I smoked my first one about 30 days after buying and loved it....had another one about 60 days later and again...loved it and I noticed it became even more balanced. Fast forward again and around 9 months it pretty much stayed within its profile and heavenliness and stopped "resting them" and started smoking more. NC's do not "age" well...they have their sweet spot which is usually no longer than a year and then they start to get mild....but they are still a great cigar don't get me wrong. The terms of age/rest are not synonymous...resting is something that we do from purchase date to around 5 years and 5 years on a NC is almost wasting their natural taste....they don't really benefit...IMO...for resting past that term. There are some Full Bodied NC's that I've had and let rest for 2-3 years and actually were better for it.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have not really thought long term about aging...

Anybody know how well Nicaraguan tobacco ages tho?
I've been a fan of so many cigars...Dominicans, Nicaraguans, etc. and usually if they are full bodied they tend to get better ( resting...not aging ). I've got files on cigars that I have journaled for the last 20 years....( I've got that kind of time..esp. when you've been retired for the last 20 years like I have been so one tends to putz around and amuse ones self with little projects like this...but a labor of love ).

Here are some that over time I feel benefit from resting for about a year total:
Blanco Nine
Carlos Torano Exodus
Casa Magna
Most Don Pepins
Liga Privada #9
LGC Serie R ( no longer than 16 months )
Illusione Epernay
RP Maduro Toro ( these cigars just keep getting better with even 2 years on them...because I always keep boxes of them and have some that are 5 years old....then they become dessert cigars )

:)

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
hold on to them. i think they're going to be better. I've had one every 2 to 3 months or so and they've gotten better every time.