What's new

aged, or not.

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
was perusing an issue of ca at the lounge at lunch and read an article by james suckling about taking a box of 898 partis from, i think 98, and comparing them to a fairly recent production box. it was an interesting article as he came to a semi-conclusion that age did not always help, and recent sticks were perhaps better. since there was some discussion earlier last week about aging nc's, i found this an interesting comparison. thoughts?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Waiting for my issue of CA to come in...haven't gotten the february one yet, so I think something's up.

I haven't been into cigars long enough to really see how aging affects a cigar. My first box purchase I'll smoke one right out of the box, and then one a few years down the road and compare notes. Good question though, I hear some people like certain Tatuaje sticks fresh as opposed to aged.

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Certain sticks age better than others, long term aging isn't always a good thing. Certain companies like Padron age their tobacco extensively before rolling, so when they are fresh they are at full potential, not saying that an aged Padron is a bad thing. But I have heard that they do get bland after a while. I don't have enough years of cigar smoking under my belt to have a reliable opinion, nor have I smoked THAT many really aged sticks to compare.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Read the same article a few months back Bob. Im thinking they invited him there to spread the word to smokers about buying new production boxes because there current sales are in the tank. IMO.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I heard there was a side by side comparison at the Habanos Festival last year and Hunters and Frankau brought some of there 98 898's to compare to the 08's and most liked the newer versions.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Interesting. Incidentally, I had an 8-9-8 from '98 (given to me by Brooks) a couple months ago and a younger one (less than a year old) a few weeks ago. The '98 is the oldest cigar I've ever had, and it was remarkable––the thickness of the flavors were definitely thinned out a bit when compared to the younger Party, but I'd hesitate to say that the latter was categorically all that much better. They were both phenomenal, don't get me wrong, and maybe I lucked out and got two really good sticks, but the 11 or so years on the older one made it much softer (which I like) without robbing it of any of its flavor.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
A lot depends on storage, if they are not stored correctly (long term or to your humidity preferences before smoking) chances are you will not enjoy them. Quality of tobacco, roller/roll of cigar, food/drink and mood also play big part. 98 cigars are hit and miss for roll and quality, 08 seems to be above average in both. Lets not forget most Cubans do not subscribe to aging cigars like those of us here and prefer fresh cigars, a lot of the testers were Cuban.

I have bought many aged cigars and aged a few also. I like the ones I aged more times than not, the ones I bought aged are 50/50 at best. If these were stored at Fox's, they are known for the poor storage conditions. I have a friend who was told to get everything he had out ASAP because of this.

I sometimes want an aged beauty, sometimes a freshie is what I crave, sometimes I just want a good cigar, I try to pick the right one for my mood and when I hit it just right that makes for a great smoke! As always like what you smoke and smoke what you like!!

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
I heard there was a side by side comparison at the Habanos Festival last year and Hunters and Frankau brought some of there 98 898's to compare to the 08's and most liked the newer versions.
think that was the same thing. a company in england that specializes in boxes of 10+ years. suckling didn't care for the older stick and said so. apparantly that offended many of the cubans in the room....

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Personally I feel that is up to the personal taste of that person. When I recieve five packs, ten packs or even boxes I will fire one up so as to see what I am dealing with and move accordingly. Personally for me, aged cc's are phenominal, the subtle nuiances that were not present are released and so on. The problem is how long should a cc be aged? For me I use three to five years as a strong starting point. This rule of course is for boxes recently rolled, i.e. that year. When that time is up then fire a couple of sticks up within a few months of each other to gauge what has happened and what is changing. From there I know whether or not to put the rest of the box to sleep or to start churning through them. Sometimes cigars sit too long and loose all of their subtle notes...so, to answer your question Bob, yes, cc's should be aged. (sorry for the round about answer :stretchgr)

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I think it depends on many factors as others have stated. If we're speaking about Cuban cigars only it really depends on the marca, vitola, what year it was rolled, how they're smoking..etc. Generally I prefer 3-5 years almost universally but I also don't like anything too "in your face" so I generally stay away from real strong cigars in general...which usually means certain puro Nicaraguan cigars. I've never had anything "vintage" which is usually 20 plus years old...but I think a 10 year old fine cigar can be heavenly. You should read some of MRN's book and get some opinions on aging, he makes some fine points when it comes to the chemical breakdowns in tobacco over time. The best thing to do is to buy a few different boxes from different brands (Partagas, Montecristo, Cohiba for instance) and smoke a few cigars every 6 months from each box and take tasting notes. You'll find out which you prefer after the 4th or 5th cigar.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I can't comment on the aging of CC's; whether good, bad or indifferent, since I personally smoke so few.

With NC's it's kind of a "Trial by Fire", some do age well and other don't. Just as cc jefe mentioned, I like to try one right off the top just to see what I have. That will determine to me whether to smoke the rest of the box or let it sit....usually 6 months to a year.

In my opinion, the best cigar I have had that has been aged is the OR Master Blends....still a stunning cigar to me. The worse for me was OR CAO L'Anniversaire Maduro from 1996. At that time they were still made in Costa Rico. The cigar has mellowed consideraly, from a cigar that was beyond medium to a true mild, yet flavorful smoke. I still enjoy them but would have preferred that they were still stronger.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a result of a number of circumstances over the past 2 months, I have come to the opinion that aging cigars is an urban legend phenomenon and overrated in effectiveness. As has been stated in this thread, there are occasions when smoking a cigar "before its time" can have disasterous consequences. I have wasted more than a few bucks purchasing CC's and smoking them too soon, only to be greeted with ammonia aroma, as a result of the Cuban tendency to get new cigars into the international marketplace and keep properly aged cigars in-country for its own marketplace. But necessarily most non-CC cigars receive proper age prior to being released into the market and, as others here have said, holding them too long (over many years) can take the tangy edge off a very good smoking sassy cigar.

Look at it this way, if extreme age is an enhancer for a cigar, then wouldn't we see more manufacture offers of very old tobacco made cigars at greatly increased prices - like extreme aged wine is sold. But the fact is, cigar manufacturers probably know there would be a market complaint to such transactions, since the age does not increase the desirable natures of a cigar beyond a reasonable time to insure no obnoxious aromas come from the shelf-sold cigars.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
As a result of a number of circumstances over the past 2 months, I have come to the opinion that aging cigars is an urban legend phenomenon and overrated in effectiveness. As has been stated in this thread, there are occasions when smoking a cigar "before its time" can have disasterous consequences. I have wasted more than a few bucks purchasing CC's and smoking them too soon, only to be greeted with ammonia aroma, as a result of the Cuban tendency to get new cigars into the international marketplace and keep properly aged cigars in-country for its own marketplace. But necessarily most non-CC cigars receive proper age prior to being released into the market and, as others here have said, holding them too long (over many years) can take the tangy edge off a very good smoking sassy cigar.

Look at it this way, if extreme age is an enhancer for a cigar, then wouldn't we see more manufacture offers of very old tobacco made cigars at greatly increased prices - like extreme aged wine is sold. But the fact is, cigar manufacturers probably know there would be a market complaint to such transactions, since the age does not increase the desirable natures of a cigar beyond a reasonable time to insure no obnoxious aromas come from the shelf-sold cigars.
Hmm, have you seen the Cohiba Gran Reserva?

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I am a fairly recent cigar smoker, but I personally haven't smoked any NC that had more than 1-2 years on it that was that much better then the same current stick. So until I come across different I personally think aging a NC is BS and won't help it and actually hurt it. CCs are a different story.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
That was one box, from one humidor, that recently went through a major barometric pressure & temperature variation. Don't let this one experience (even though it was pretty universal) make you think that aged tobacco isn't equally as enjoyable as fresh (if not more so). Remember, Suckling is still a journalist and does still have to write compelling articles. Lets see him sell all of his vintage stock and then write this article before any of us start believing that vintage cigars are as old & obsolete an idea as expired tobacco.

Also keep in mind, the representative from Tabacuba (I believe) mentioned that he felt the 1998s had another decade, at least, before they were at their peak. The 2008s, (smoked at about 1 year old or slightly less, I believe) were at what was thought to be the right smoking period for that cigar. Remember, there has been major blend changes between the time that these two vintages were rolled. That can have major impact on smoke-ability, tobacco complexity or substance (MRN-congeners). That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
As a result of a number of circumstances over the past 2 months, I have come to the opinion that aging cigars is an urban legend phenomenon and overrated in effectiveness. As has been stated in this thread, there are occasions when smoking a cigar "before its time" can have disasterous consequences. I have wasted more than a few bucks purchasing CC's and smoking them too soon, only to be greeted with ammonia aroma, as a result of the Cuban tendency to get new cigars into the international marketplace and keep properly aged cigars in-country for its own marketplace.
I don't really understand your post as you seem to contradict yourself. In your first sentence you are saying that aging is an "urban legend" but then you say later that you've wasted money by smoking cigars too soon, so wouldn't that mean they needed to be aged in your opinion? Also, where does your last statement come from? I haven't heard this before.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
A lot depends on storage, if they are not stored correctly (long term or to your humidity preferences before smoking) chances are you will not enjoy them. Quality of tobacco, roller/roll of cigar, food/drink and mood also play big part. 98 cigars are hit and miss for roll and quality, 08 seems to be above average in both. Lets not forget most Cubans do not subscribe to aging cigars like those of us here and prefer fresh cigars, a lot of the testers were Cuban.
Yes, this is it in a nutshell. Depends on a lot of variables that can vary person to person.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really understand your post as you seem to contradict yourself. In your first sentence you are saying that aging is an "urban legend" but then you say later that you've wasted money by smoking cigars too soon, so wouldn't that mean they needed to be aged in your opinion? Also, where does your last statement come from? I haven't heard this before.
I should have clarified by saying "across the board aging can improve any cigar" is a myth (and I used to subscribe to that myth.) Where holding a cigar for a period of time helps is with Cubans, which I tried to explain, in my experience, I have rushed to smoke after a purchase, but on occasion was assaulted with ammonia.

As for my statement that Cuban cigars go out to the worldwide market sooner (with less aging) than those sold domestically in Cuba; this is from a very knowledgable B&M owner in my city and explains why most CCs should be held onto for awhile before smoking, but those bought during a visit to that country may be enjoyed on the spot. He explained that is not a rule or Cuban law, but just a cautionary explanation he has learned to accept over the years. What i am sure of is I will never just pop another CC I just bought here in Brazil into my mouth, as I would most the domestics made in Brazil.

shottabacardi

Padronhead
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should read some of MRN's book and get some opinions on aging, he makes some fine points when it comes to the chemical breakdowns in tobacco over time.
- Michigan M

maybe this is a stupid question, i dont know, but I have also been looking for some good scientific research on the aging question, and would be grateful if you could tell me the name of the book you are referencing. I have to say so far you guys have made some good points either way, and I do agree with the not needing to age padrons- the original 80ths are still sitting in my friends box tho, and after trying one a little while ago, i have to say it was actually an improvement over the last one i had. I imagine the 45's will be the same, tho like you say, they may not need as long as ten years. The tat blacks DEF need some time tho, way too young tasting when they came out.