What's new

aged, or not.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You should read some of MRN's book and get some opinions on aging, he makes some fine points when it comes to the chemical breakdowns in tobacco over time.
- Michigan M

maybe this is a stupid question, i dont know, but I have also been looking for some good scientific research on the aging question, and would be grateful if you could tell me the name of the book you are referencing. I have to say so far you guys have made some good points either way, and I do agree with the not needing to age padrons- the original 80ths are still sitting in my friends box tho, and after trying one a little while ago, i have to say it was actually an improvement over the last one i had. I imagine the 45's will be the same, tho like you say, they may not need as long as ten years. The tat blacks DEF need some time tho, way too young tasting when they came out.
I'd hate to butt in on Michigan's question, but MRN refers to Min Ron Nee's An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars. And yes, a lot of good quality cigars like Padrons, Tats, etc. do tend to get a bit smoother over time, though the exact length would depend on the cigar. Of course, the manner of its "optimal" taste depends on the smoker's preferences. Giving some sticks some rest, like the Tat Tubos (from what I hear, since I haven't had either the Black or the Red), is sometimes simply a matter of letting them dry out a bit or to calm down (depending on how quickly they were shipped after being rolled and packaged, on the rh of the B&M's humidor you got them from, etc.).

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Aging cigars is similar to wine. There are some wines that can withstand aging and then there are those wines that have no intention of being aged.

Partagas 898Vs do not have the legs to withstand a few decades of aging. I've personally consumed 898V's from the 70s (which have been properly stored) and they were mild and boring. 898UV's on the other hand somewhat different story.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I love well aged cigars, and if you start with oily, fuller flavor good smokes and store them well, almost universaly they end up very good although down a notch in strength. I can't say that they end up better, because my old stuff dates from before I started smoking cigars.

I've also smoked cigars like the Partagas 150 that was much better back in the late 90's than they are today, as they have lost so much they are Mild. I've had a couple of Partagas 898's from within a couple of years of 98 and noticed they were diffirent, so I wounder if compairing say a 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 etc. we would notice a steady progression in one direction, or it would just bounce around?

Don't know for sure, but some of the best cigars I've ever had have been over 50 years old.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I can't comment on the aging of CC's; whether good, bad or indifferent, since I personally smoke so few.

With NC's it's kind of a "Trial by Fire", some do age well and other don't. Just as cc jefe mentioned, I like to try one right off the top just to see what I have. That will determine to me whether to smoke the rest of the box or let it sit....usually 6 months to a year.

In my opinion, the best cigar I have had that has been aged is the OR Master Blends....still a stunning cigar to me. The worse for me was OR CAO L'Anniversaire Maduro from 1996. At that time they were still made in Costa Rico. The cigar has mellowed consideraly, from a cigar that was beyond medium to a true mild, yet flavorful smoke. I still enjoy them but would have preferred that they were still stronger.
.......the old Don Douglas CAO maduro robo:drool::drool::drool:
Very nice!!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Aging is as subjective as taste. With all my cigars I like to lay them down for at least 2-3 months. Yes, you can over age....imho.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can't comment on the aging of CC's; whether good, bad or indifferent, since I personally smoke so few.

With NC's it's kind of a "Trial by Fire", some do age well and other don't. Just as cc jefe mentioned, I like to try one right off the top just to see what I have. That will determine to me whether to smoke the rest of the box or let it sit....usually 6 months to a year.

QUOTE]

Lots of wisdom right here. I'd have to be able to do a comparison of the same stick from different time periods (aging ) to determine any real difference to taste and value. Taste is so subjective to try and see a real difference unless they are both sitting in front of you ready to try. It would be like taste testing something one day and trying to remember all of the nuances of that item and then remember it at a later date when trying it again under different circumstances.

shottabacardi

Padronhead
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks simoun for the info, from my personal experience with the blacks, they needed the two months i gave them to be ready for smoking. I bought three boxes of blacks and three of reds. The reds were ready right outta the box, great cigar, was really impressed with the spices and unique sweetness, but when I lit up the Black I was eagerly awaiting, i got almost like a swampy taste out of it. Only way to describe it, like mud and clay amongst other unpleasant flavors, so much so that I put it out halfway. Tried another two weeks later, still had that taste. A month later, the taste had lost most of its power, and I was able to taste the spices and other flavors that make the Black so great, but they were not predominant yet to the smoke. At two months the Black came into its own, tho I'm waiting another 6 months to smoke more, since the first ones i had were phenomenal at three years aged. Its not at the amazing stage yet, imo, but its still pretty darn good at two-three months after release. Another almost must-age cigar is the Opus's, 6 months really makes a difference in the power and makes the flavors pop out much more. IMHO