What's new

aged smokes

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
i am getting to the point that everything i smoke has at least 5 years of age on them. Fuente 858's from 98. Padron Annis that i bought about 7 years ago. Boxes of Short Stories from 98. Whats your opinion of aging cigars?

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
ahhh, patience young grasshopper! i prayed for patience once, and what a test i was handed... broke down in bakersfield! ha!!

a well-aged smoke is a true treat!! haven't developed the will power to leave 'em alone....

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I wish I had the collection to do that. I just came up on 25-30 sticks that have all been sitting in a guys humi for over a year, some for up to 5 years. I can tell the difference between those and the newer ones of the same stick that I already had. I still need to make that Coolerdor, so I can just buy a box a month and stash it away. Everything I've read says that age is a cigars friend as long as it's stored properly.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
The only thing age is more kinder to is money... I have an Opus X and a RyJ Churchill (ISOM), purchased over three years ago, both of which I have enjoyed one and have the other aging wonderfully in my special occasion humi.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Definitely smoke aged stuff if I have a choice! I've got a 50-qt. cooler dedicated to aging. Don't ever pull sticks out of there. I know it'll be worth it in a few years!

TYLER

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How do you guys know how long you've had a particular stick for? Do you mark the purchase date on every single one?

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
How do you guys know how long you've had a particular stick for? Do you mark the purchase date on every single one?

For singles I write the year on the caps using a silver or gold sharpie marker. Then I place them sorted by year and in a separate storage tray and they all fit in this humidor, it holds over 300 singles. Oh and I use this one just for my ISOM's I have a different large humidor for my NC singles...:crosseyed :crosseyed

It has four large trays plus the bottom storage section. I reserve the top tray for any singles that are older than 04....stuff that ready to smoke!

eyetek

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I have recently labeled all of my sticks. I bought address labels from staples or another office supply store and downloaded a template. (got the idea on the board somewhere) Works really well plus its a nice clean look. You can also get labels from heartfelt industries

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=19

I use these on sticks that don't have a cellophane wrapper. Tuffy puts the address labels over these on the sticks that don't have wrappers and it work really well.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Oh shit, there's no way to tell how old a single stick is for me! My aging coolerdor is boxes only (cept for a few special sticks that I couldn't possibly forget the age of) and I put the receipt/invoice inside the box so I know when I bought it.

TYLER

sascha

size does matter
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I am doing something wrong, I buy at least 2 boxes a month and smoke also 2 boxes a month.
when I started, I bought around 5-10 boxes a month, but that was at the beginning of the year, I have plenty of smokes in my cooler but I just can't keep my hands out of it

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I am doing something wrong, I buy at least 2 boxes a month and smoke also 2 boxes a month.
when I started, I bought around 5-10 boxes a month, but that was at the beginning of the year, I have plenty of smokes in my cooler but I just can't keep my hands out of it
The first step to fighting addiction is admitting you have a problem. "hello my name is Sascha, and I am an addict." :rofl:

Just kiddin bro. I'm new to this, but my plan right now, is to buy a box a month that I will store for aging. My humi has very few repeats in it right now, because I'm trying everything out first. I'm in sampler mode. I think the key is buying more that you smoke.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Been aging cigars for the past 10 years.

My stash is just getting to the point were i am smoking 8-10 year old cigars. It takes a while but is so worth doing.

I try to age everything. However the OTT experience is welcomed as well.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Not been smoking long enough to get the boxes well aged. If the sticks smoke good when I sample them, then I smoke from the box. If the sticks are green tasting, tanic, or smell of ammonia (rarely) then they get lots more humidor time, maybe checking in 3-6 months. Quite a bit of my sticks are smoking very good at the 1-2 year mark, with a mix of good flavors and bite to them Some seem to be flat or boring at several years old like they are past their peak. Each stick is a journey that I enjoy taking with them at almost any stage of readiness.

ezrider

ezrider
Rating - 97.1%
43   1   0

I lknow whatcha mean , same here

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Some seem to be flat or boring at several years old like they are past their peak. .
Some folks don't understand and practice the above statement. I've read on some boards where guys are planning to age some sticks 15-20 years... don't they realize that cigars can be over aged ? The general rule is NC 2-3 years to reach their peak ... stronger NCs can take up to 5 years.

CC usually peak at 5 years where the stronger CC like Bolivar or Partagas can reach their peak at 7-10 years. After these time periods you start losing on your return.

Taste them as you age them ... don't miss them hitting their peak !!!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Some folks don't understand and practice the above statement. I've read on some boards where guys are planning to age some sticks 15-20 years... don't they realize that cigars can be over aged ? The general rule is NC 2-3 years to reach their peak ... stronger NCs can take up to 5 years.

CC usually peak at 5 years where the stronger CC like Bolivar or Partagas can reach their peak at 7-10 years. After these time periods you start losing on your return.

Taste them as you age them ... don't miss them hitting their peak !!!
Yes, but some are just hitting their stride at 10 plus years. There are so many factors in this. I have had many CC's with 5 plus years that were still improving. I don't really agree that they peak at 4 years. As I stated above, I've had more than a few 85 RyJ churchills and there is no way you can convince me they are past their prime. Thank god I still have a few boxes!!

While I don't read cA anymore, each month they have vintage reviews. There is a reason why many of them score 96 plus. (I can't believe I actually agree with something written in cA!!)