What's new

Aging cigars in their own box or not?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So I have a wineador and I've begun to amass a fair amount of boxes, mostly CCs, with the intent to age most of them. Space is becoming an issue (please don't say see I need more space :)) and I thought it might help on space if I stack them in the drawers without the boxes. Just wondering how you think this will effect aging, being "free" in a windeador with other cigars vs being kept in their own box.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
In my experience, the boxes can block up the air flow and affect the humidity and temperature distribution. Therefore I stack singles in the drawers while leaving some space to help the fans.
I'm not sure on the importance of aging CCs in their own box, but if that's what you're going for, maybe a cooler would would best for the boxes. I know more space is not the answer you want, but coolers are overall fairly cheap and from what I've heard, hold humidity great.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
There are several guys on this site whose opinion on CC's I respect. All of them (as far as I know) keep their cigars in original boxes.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
In my opinion, I place them in exactly how I get them. Original box and all. I think aging in the box can help keep "cross contamination" or flavor melding or whatever you want to call it, from happening (over years). Plus, try putting a box away and opening it in a couple of years. The smell hits you like crazy when you do open it up! Haha

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I keep them in their original boxes. Not only does it help me keep them organized but it is also a lot easier to keep the year, date and factory information that is stamped on the box tied to the specific cigars. Once I smoke down to about 5 cigars or so in the box I transfer the information from the box to a band and place them in with my singles.

If I am going to age them I need to know what their age is and this is the easiest way (for me) to keep that information organized.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Personally, I much prefer the closed space of a box. I think airflow is overrated, as long as the overall environment is sealed and at an appropriate rh/temp. I'm one of those guys who doesn't like the idea of air blowing over my cigars on a regular basis, it seems to me that it would have an adverse affect on the oils in the wrapper. I'm no scientist, but if you put a fan blowing on a bowl of liquid, there's going to be increased evaporation, I would think. Breeze dries clothes faster on a line.

Airflow only seems to be important if you have active rH like an Oasis that needs air circulation to create an even rH throughout. In my setup, I have Bovedas and KL spread throughout the wineador, so there's no need for additional circulation as I get about 1% variance top to bottom.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
It's interesting to me that pipe smokers focus on sealing tobacco to call it being aged. If it's not sealed, age doesn't matter. I wonder how that would play with cigars?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Pipe tobaccos have more surface area to exposed air (I'm guessing) thus your sealed comment.
To the OP I keep all of my boxes sealed or closed (if open) at all times. Once they hit the lower row. (50%full) they go into a Singles drawer(s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I was planning on keeping them in the boxes and that seems to have been confirmed here. Thanks for all your advice/thoughts. If I need additional space, a cooler will probably have to do for long term aging. The 25-50% full rule seems to be a good one... putting them in the singles drawer after that.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
long term aging - keep sealed or inspect once a year max , but otherwise keep closed .
short tern aging - keep in box but allow the air circulation do its voodoo .

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Airflow is not to help the cigars, it is to equalize the environment inside the humidor. If you don't have problems with RH variations in your storage unit then there is no reason for air movement (circulation).
Also, I think the biggest contribution the cigar box makes is the faint odor of Spanish cedar that they perfume the air with. If there is no cedar then I believe the cigars will age slightly differently. Is that a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know.

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Not to hijack the thread, but what are the thoughts about removing the shrink wrap from the box before storing? I have boxes I don't plan on touching for a while and have just left the wrapper on the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
With the few boxes that I have I have allowed the cigars to age in them and it has not hurt them. I will say though that depending on the strength complexity of the cigar, having them age out of the box has had some interesting marriage experiences. Some of the more medium bodied cigars have benefited nicely from their being in proximity to their more fuller bodied brethren.

That said, IMHO, it's in the eye or palette of the beholder.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Not to hijack the thread, but what are the thoughts about removing the shrink wrap from the box before storing? I have boxes I don't plan on touching for a while and have just left the wrapper on the box.
I remove the shrink wrap, primarily because I want to inspect the box as soon as it arrives; I'm not willing to take the chance that there might be damage I won't discover for a long time.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Personally it depends on the box. SLB or plain wood boxes I age for yrs in. I've experienced some mold problems if cigars are left in a dress box for over a yr unopened.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with my Whynter coolidor. I started out by keeping my cigars in boxes, however I have recently ran out of room. I have begun taking similar cigars out of their boxes and stacking them together. I have stacked my Undercrowns together , my liga 9s, etc. It has freed up room, but at some point additional storage options may have to be explored.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I keep em in boxes for three reasons. Eliminate possibility of bugs munching on others, since I do not freeze. Two, the boxes were stored in giant climate controlled warehouses prior to my procuring them, sometimes for years with no ill effect. And third, date/box code.