What's new

Aging cigars in their own box or not?

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Not to hijack the thread, but what are the thoughts about removing the shrink wrap from the box before storing? I have boxes I don't plan on touching for a while and have just left the wrapper on the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe in initial inspection but I was talking to a brother awhile back who vacuum seals boxes he plans to age long term saying that it prevents any large variation in humidity, locks in aroma, and opening a box after 5 to 10 years is an amazing experience.

On my must try list

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I believe in initial inspection but I was talking to a brother awhile back who vacuum seals boxes he plans to age long term saying that it prevents any large variation in humidity, locks in aroma, and opening a box after 5 to 10 years is an amazing experience.

On my must try list
I've been thinking of doing this as well. I'd have to leave a box in the humidor until it was perfect humidity for a while first though. I'm too paranoid. Haha. But I would love the experience of almost being "forced" to not open them for a few years. I'd imagine that the opening of a sealed box would be incredible.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I bought a cheap cooler a few months ago because I was running out of space and was starting to make more box purchases, thanks to this place. I find that the cooler actually holds a steadier Rh than both my desk tops. I use the cooler primarily for boxes or box splits I go in on so I can keep them together and then my desk tops for singles. I plan on setting up a coolidor one day but as for now the cooler works great for what I'm doing. They aren't the prettiest but they are a great cheap fix for storage problems.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I bought a cheap cooler a few months ago because I was running out of space and was starting to make more box purchases, thanks to this place. I find that the cooler actually holds a steadier Rh than both my desk tops. I use the cooler primarily for boxes or box splits I go in on so I can keep them together and then my desk tops for singles. I plan on setting up a coolidor one day but as for now the cooler works great for what I'm doing. They aren't the prettiest but they are a great cheap fix for storage problems.
I like coolers better than anything I have. But I don't show off my cigars and don't like them all in one place so it works for me. If I didn't have kids around and other kids coming over, I would probably do a cabinet.

I have boxes I won't get to for a while in wrappers or whatever they come in.

ChipS

Chip
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
My experience has been the same, in a cooler the RH stays dead on for months without any intervention. My desktop humidors are temperamental and can fluctuate.
As far as aging in boxes vs removing goes - I personally keep them in the boxes and in their cello primarily so they don't get damaged when I fumble around to find that evenings stick.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0

On my must try list
This is one of those things I've always wondered about. With the off gassing, it seems to me the equivalent of farting in your own spacesuit, there's no where for it to go...