What's new

Aging Habanos... varios sizes longer/shorter

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Is there a general rule of how long Habanos should be aged depending on size?

I'd expect a PC would be ready before a Robusto of the same date... No?

I have been collecting for a couple of years now so have a spread of 2010 to 2012 bought fresh.

Not in a rush to smoke anything before its time.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Typically 5-10 yrs is great and where most people age to, 15-20 yrs is exceptional, 20 + yrs is starting to push taste profile to its max. 30+ yrs then the cigar is on a downward slide on taste.

I am beginning a new cigar adventure in my life, I am now buying boxes to age. I buy certain boxes to smoke and others to age.

Like Pc's are for smoking. I love those little guys. However a nice box of H. Upmann mag 46 or a box of Partagas series D #4 are excellent for againg. But what you age and for how long is up to you.

I'm not sure that size has anything to do with age, they all age differently and depending on how they are stored and aged, like at what temp and humidity level for how long make a difference. are your cigars intermingled with each other or strickly box aged? If the comingle they pick up taste notes frome each other.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a seperate wine fridge for aging Habanos. All boxes stored at 65 degrees & 65% H.

Dont think I can wait 15 years to smoke anything much less 10!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Everyone has their own opinion. I would suggest that you "sample" cigars out of your boxes. If you don't think it's quite ready, or you can tell they have some aging potential and would prefer to wait a bit, let them sit and keep trying one every 6 months or so. Then after a few years, you will learn what you prefer in regards to aging certain Marcas. When I first started out, I personally almost gave up on Partagas and almost sold off my stash. I gave a PSD4 another chance after it being 3 years old and it was a totally different cigar than the few I had earlier out of that box. So for me, I will age any Partagas 3 years before really getting into them. Of course I will probably try 1 or 2 during that time to see what they're like, but 3+ years is my number for Partagas. I am still figuring out other Marcas, and that is a fun process for me. :)

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Everyone has their own opinion. I would suggest that you "sample" cigars out of your boxes. If you don't think it's quite ready, or you can tell they have some aging potential and would prefer to wait a bit, let them sit and keep trying one every 6 months or so. Then after a few years, you will learn what you prefer in regards to aging certain Marcas. When I first started out, I personally almost gave up on Partagas and almost sold off my stash. I gave a PSD4 another chance after it being 3 years old and it was a totally different cigar than the few I had earlier out of that box. So for me, I will age any Partagas 3 years before really getting into them. Of course I will probably try 1 or 2 during that time to see what they're like, but 3+ years is my number for Partagas. I am still figuring out other Marcas, and that is a fun process for me. :)
That is a very good point but I go farther out than every 6 months. Your looing more along the lines of a year or so. I plan to sample mine about 2 cigars every 2-3 years. Should be fun..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I find smaller vitolas don't necessarily benefit from aging. Everything else goes in the humi at ~65 degrees/60 rh and get's tested every 6-8 months.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
typically,
lighter blends reach greatness sooner.
and generally to a lesser extent, also does the thinner vitola.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
IMO most habanos 3-5 yrs. Cohiba/Trini 5 yrs plus. Smaller Vitolas almost always require less time then thicker longer smokes IMO. That goes along with cohiba/trini as well. A pc cohiba may only need 3. A robo 5-7 yrs to "shine".

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Personally, I find smaller vitolas don't necessarily benefit from aging. Everything else goes in the humi at ~65 degrees/60 rh and get's tested every 6-8 months.
I have some '05 RASCC, 05 Party Shorts and '05 Boli PCs that might diagree with you. :wink:

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have some '05 RASCC, 05 Party Shorts and '05 Boli PCs that might diagree with you. :wink:
Ok send the 05' Boli Pc's my way and I'll compair them to the box I just bought a month ago. I'll let you know what the results are!!

Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
if you want to be serious about aging, keep a separate climate controlled humidor that is exclusively for ageing habanos. should not be opened more then 4-5 times per year. i store at 60/60 but you can play around with any variations you like. after like 1 year, pull out a couple of sticks from each box to put into a desktop or a daily humidor and sample it every 6 months for a few years years to see how they are progressing.

e-man67

Benny Hill's Understudy
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Each persons tastes will vary greatly. What one may find sublime in a vintage stick you may find bland...each marca is also very different. I sample along the way. There have been times that I waited too long and the "hit" cycle was missed and I get pissed. Trial and error. Some sticks are great ROTT.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Ok send the 05' Boli Pc's my way and I'll compair them to the box I just bought a month ago. I'll let you know what the results are!!
Excellent, send me $500 and I will get what's left of the cab on the way.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
There was an article 2 years ago that discussed the aging process of cigar and talked about flavor vs. freshness (harshness).
The author claimed cigars taste best between 5-10 years. Just thought I share another point of view...
http://cigarjournal.co/index.php/us/archive/collectors-corner/548-ausgabe32011
Hard to take that article seriously when the word "ammonia" is not mentioned. Anyone who has smoked a freshly rolled cigar can tell you that it's not so simple as "freshness = bad." There's more to the sick period than that.

The pseudo-scientific graph, followed by the sentence, "This is not a scientific paper," is also hilarious.