What's new

Aging leaves

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If this has already been answered I apologize, I'm at work and this has been nagging at me for a bit.

I just got my man cave cleaned up and organized, wineador is up and running (waiting on drawers to be built/delivered) and am now working on a work space (read:table) to start my adventures in home rolling.

My question is this. I know some manufacturers (ie Perdomo) age tobacco in various casks.

Long story short, I fell in love with the maduro Edition de Silvio. My first one was an original release that I was forced to buy after losing a bet and subsequently purchased the last 2 for my wedding. This was 4 years ago. I believe they aged the tobacco in oak casks prior to rolling them. I know I'll never be able to recreate my wedding cigar, but a guy can dream right?

Is it possible to buy leaves from one of the various resources and age some in some kind of cask or barrel assuming I got my hands on one. I'm not talking large scale. Would I be wasting my time? Is this something that's done as initial aging/curing or an extra step?

Thanks for any replies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If this has already been answered I apologize, I'm at work and this has been nagging at me for a bit.

I just got my man cave cleaned up and organized, wineador is up and running (waiting on drawers to be built/delivered) and am now working on a work space (read:table) to start my adventures in home rolling.

My question is this. I know some manufacturers (ie Perdomo) age tobacco in various casks.

Long story short, I fell in love with the maduro Edition de Silvio. My first one was an original release that I was forced to buy after losing a bet and subsequently purchased the last 2 for my wedding. This was 4 years ago. I believe they aged the tobacco in oak casks prior to rolling them. I know I'll never be able to recreate my wedding cigar, but a guy can dream right?

Is it possible to buy leaves from one of the various resources and age some in some kind of cask or barrel assuming I got my hands on one. I'm not talking large scale. Would I be wasting my time? Is this something that's done as initial aging/curing or an extra step?

Thanks for any replies.

Yes, I think you can do that. All the literature indicates that tobacco improves with age, before and after being rolled into cylinders. So we have no evidence/literature to indicate otherwise that I'm aware of. What do you reckon? - b

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for any replies.

As bliss said, I don't see why not! They do it with wine. Granted, the wine comes in direct contact with the barrel and fermentation is occurring at the moment. While cigars have already fermented (for the most part), they are still releasing ammonia and could benefit from the smokiness of the barrel. You could also put a shot of your favorite liquor in and roll it around, let it dry, then age the tobacco in there for an infused cigar. Here's a couple links where I saw this information if you look more deeply on these sites I'm sure it could give you a better idea of what youre looking for.
http://www.beyondtoscano.com/ilsigarodellasera/barrel-aging-tobacco-312/
http://www.stogiefresh.info/edu-tobacco/articles/Barrel-Aging-Tobacco-Wine.html
Here are some sites you can buy oak barrels from. The first one looks like its specifically for cigars that are already rolled but pricey for a small barrel. The second one you could get a bigger barrel used by a company like Woodford reserve that makes bourbon (Good stuff), or a brand new oak barrel. With the bigger barrel you could age the tobacco before you roll it which might produce an even better result. You would also be able to select the level that they "Toast" the barrel which could give a more mellow or stronger smoke flavor depending on if you want it light or fully "Charred".
https://www.deepsouthbarrels.com/create_products/Cigar-Infusion-Barrel-3-Liter-No-Stamp?c=258798&n=5184707
http://www.oakwoodbarrels.com/price-list

Last edited: