What's new

Aging New Cigars

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been buying most of my smokes online lately. Do any of you sit them in the humidor for a set amount of time or do you smoke one or 2 before they even see the humidor?

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've been buying most of my smokes online lately. Do any of you sit them in the humidor for a set amount of time or do you smoke one or 2 before they even see the humidor?
As Jim stated, usually at least a week rest will help but also keep in mind travel time and age of the product you're buying. Most of these companies store cigars at high RH but if it is a relatively a new release how long did they really have it for?? If you cant wait you can always smoke one ROTT and test it out like I do :)

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I do whatever I feel like at the time.

Sometimes they sit for days, sometimes weeks, sometimes years. Sometimes I smoke them when I open the box.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I usually buy more than one so when I fail to have the will power to not them rest more than a couple of days. I know I will have a few to try once they do sit for weeks or months.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
If it's a new release, my rule of thumb is smoke immediately, and if they're on, keep smoking until they're off. If they're off, I lay 'em down for 3 months, then 6 if necessary.

If it's something that's likely to have acclimated to their warehouse rH, I'll give it a good six weeks before I'll smoke, to make sure the rH is lowered from the 70%+ that they keep them at down to what I prefer to smoke at.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
At least a week. Two or three is better. Now do I always follow that advice. No. I usually grab one and fire it up. It is amazing however the difference a little resting makes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice and suggestions. Sometimes it's hard to wait seeing them shiny new sticks wrapped up and lookin pretty!

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
If it's a new release, my rule of thumb is smoke immediately, and if they're on, keep smoking until they're off. If they're off, I lay 'em down for 3 months, then 6 if necessary.

If it's something that's likely to have acclimated to their warehouse rH, I'll give it a good six weeks before I'll smoke, to make sure the rH is lowered from the 70%+ that they keep them at down to what I prefer to smoke at.
This^^

I smoke them ROTT and if they're good I'll keep smoking them, usually trying to let at least a few sit awhile to see if they get even better. Otherwise, most get smoked randomly. A few I buy specifically for a special occasion and sit on them. Like the little monsters and pudgy monsters which are being saved for the month of October..

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I usually smoke one or two when I get them if the urge hits me. I have several that are resting in the humidor now. My hording has gotten worse since I got a tower humidor. I have several singles I need to smoke so I can get more boxes of what I like. It is amazing when you age cigars the flavors gets better.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Does aging them for a few days count? lol

I don't currently have a big enough collection to be able to keep them aside super long, and that won't change until I am done moving... but I do believe I am not alone in that situation. I believe the best way to ensure proper aging is to acquire more cigars.

Now, even in low-cigarCount-situations, I agree with @3/5King - get some cigars in advance for special occasions. They tend to be easier to keep in them humi that way, and get some age. There are two good sticks I am keeping in my humi for upcoming special occasions, and it has been working so far... as long as there are other "daily smokes" available I guess.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A few days is not even letting settle, it can take weeks for a cigar to settle to your humidity settings, most cigars you buy online will come to you "dripping wet" to handle the storage and then the shipping, I will usually smoke one ROTT just to try it out and see where it's at, some times I'll smoke the entire box ROTT, just depends on mood and in some cases how many boxes I've bought, if it's 2 or 3 I'll always bury two and smoke through one at my leisure, also it's handy to have something to dry box in for just that reason, since getting the Aristocrat I use my desktop humidor as a dry box now.

Smoke what you enjoy, when you enjoy it, it's all about you not what others do.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually smoke one or two when I get them if the urge hits me. I have several that are resting in the humidor now. My hording has gotten worse since I got a tower humidor. I have several singles I need to smoke so I can get more boxes of what I like. It is amazing when you age cigars the flavors gets better.

Ever since I got my tower I've plunged headfirst into box-buying. My savings account hates me at the moment.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I usually sit online order for a week before trying one. Usually just happens on its own without me really thinking about it. I only have about 70 cigars total, and even with that amount it's hard for me to decide what to smoke lol