What's new

Aging!! Ok now I get it!!!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
About a month or so ago I bought a coupe Rocky Patel 1990s. I smoked one that same night and put the other in the humidor. Night before last I decided to fire it up. Wow! What a difference. I guess a little time in the box mellowed it out. Before there was a little peppery taste. After, that was gone. Just mellow and smooth. I could even blow threw the nose without getting that funny tingling. Anyway, just wanted to share that. How long do yall usually let your smokes sit in the humi before smoking?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If someone mails me some I wait at MINIMUM 1 week, but I try to wait at least 1 month. That is just me though, I just want them to get to the right humidity. On some cigars I have I toss a sticker on the cello with the date I got them to see how long I can keep them for before I smoke them. I am interested to see what some taste like in a few years.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
That is the wrong question to ask. Some of the FOGs have stock from the 80s and 90s around here. Nromally 3-4years on anything "young" will def help though.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I don't think many would consider a month or so as aging. But letting it sit for that long may have helped it stabalize to a better humidity which caused it to smoke better for you. Usually I let them rest a week or so if it is something I want to try out. Most of my older sticks that I have bought boxes of are between a year or two old as I started out mostly smoking singles out of a 50 count, and many of those with more than a year on them are smoking quite nicely. But a year or two isn't considered that much age on it compared to some of the others here.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Don't confuse a "month in the humi" for "aging". While I like a month or so in the box for any cigar that has been in the mail. Also a B&M around here has a humi with a higher RH than I like, so I let any smokes from there hang out in my humi for a while to dry out. So what you did was let you cigar aclimate to your humidor, AND IS IMPORTANT...

Aging would be a cigar than has several years in a humidor. You will notice a difference from new...0-12, and then 3-5 years, and 5-10 years. Remember this though. An aged dogrocket, is just and old dog rocket, though it will probably be a bit more mellow.

I have a box of 10 year old AZ Mexican cigars, that I got for free when I had a Herf, and they suck just as bad as they did, 10 years ago.

BrooksW

BoM June '09
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
Yep, I stablize every stick I review for AT LEAST one week before smoke...

You never know how the sticks were treated before you got them...

~brooks

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
On some cigars I have I toss a sticker on the cello with the date I got them to see how long I can keep them for before I smoke them. .
Thats not a bad idea at all. I had one CAO Brazilla in the humi and yesterday got a five pack. I forgot to seperate it. Now I dont know which one has been in there for like 3 months.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Its tought to sit on some cigars for a few years, but its intresting to see the changes that occur. You find some brands age better than others, some peak quickly and some can go years and keep getting better.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I let mine sit in the humi for at least a week before I touch them. When UPS brings them the package is so hot it'll burn your hands, and the contents are the same.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I am a little less particular then most. I only worry about age if the box has a date on it. If it doesn't I assume it is ready to smoke. Sometimes you get lucky and find a great on in the bottom of the humi. 5 years is where I start to consider a stick aged and if I didn't get the whole box it won't last that long.

Posted via Mobile Device

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Hmm, that explains why some of the cigars gifted me from here taste better than the same cigar recently purchased. Damn, I should have taken notice of who sent them. Where's the brother with the spreadsheet I need a template!