What's new

Aging you home rolls.

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best way to age your home rolled cigars? What the best process? Was thinking from months 1 to 3 months to put them in a separate box at 72 % RH or even higher, there seems to be a fair amount of ammonia at that stage and am wondering if the higher humidity would help them stabilized, then after bring them to 65%. What do you recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do like to aerate the ammonia out before assembly. .. it typically should only be binder and wrapper for they do not go through the amount of fermentation that the filler does to keep them intact and, to allow that to be done closer to the assembly process.
Letting the bunches dry some before wrapping can help.
You can use some dry scrap to wick out some moisture. If you use to high RH mold can grow. .. freshen the air.
You'll want to keep an eye on them. It will depend. You will need to develop that skill.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What’s the best way to age your home rolled cigars? What the best process? Was thinking from months 1 to 3 months to put them in a separate box at 72 % RH or even higher, there seems to be a fair amount of ammonia at that stage and am wondering if the higher humidity would help them stabilized, then after bring them to 65%. What do you recommend?

Depends on your RH. Here it floats around between 60 and 75, usually, so I just air them out in an open mold for a week and then stick them in a nice Cuban cigar box for a month or three, then shuttle'em to the humi. Not sure what I'd do if I lived in Palm Springs, tho...

I also take my sweet time getting to the wrapping stage, so that the bunches feel dried out. Sometimes I have to wait for weeks/months if we're in a long high-RH spell.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Conventional wisdom says with fresh rolled cigars is to smoke them within a week or so before any ammonia builds up. I've smoked my fair share of custom/fresh rolled and they're delicious. If you wait too long then you want to let the ammonia dissipate...6 months is good. It's all about the temp/RH after that... keep the numbers and environment stable and you'll enjoy them .

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information, thank you all. I am rolling roughly 15 to 20 smokes a week so definitely want to age some. The problem being that living in the Canadian prairies our RH seldom goes higher than 50 Rh in summer and is around 30 Rh in winter. Was reading a note from Oliva cigars that suggested that their cigars be aged between 72 Rh and 78rh because of the natural oils from the tobacco, not sure if they use a different cigar tobacco, I thought that this was high. Also saw in a factory where they kept all their freshly rolled cigars in a special ventilated room for a few months before boxing but couldn’t get the Rh that they use.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Good information, thank you all. I am rolling roughly 15 to 20 smokes a week so definitely want to age some. The problem being that living in the Canadian prairies our RH seldom goes higher than 50 Rh in summer and is around 30 Rh in winter. Was reading a note from Oliva cigars that suggested that their cigars be aged between 72 Rh and 78rh because of the natural oils from the tobacco, not sure if they use a different cigar tobacco, I thought that this was high. Also saw in a factory where they kept all their freshly rolled cigars in a special ventilated room for a few months before boxing but couldn’t get the Rh that they use.

That does sound pretty high, but I guess they know best about their own cigars. Science says 64rh is usually the ideal. I guess extra oil changes things up.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

72-78? I wouldn’t even store them at 70. That’s just asking for mold keeping them that high. I’ve found 64-66 is the sweet spot. Not too dry not too moist. Everything seems to smoke good at that rh

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my smokes are stored 60-65rh of I can hit the mark. Cuban and non Cuban

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Local cigar store sells their empty boxes for a buck apiece. I select nice wooden boxes with a clasp. Stick newly rolled in an unseasoned box and stick the box in a coolidor for a year or so.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Talkin bout aging...

September 2017, I put together a series of coronas which I named Flan. I blent half a leaf each of Corojo seco. viso, and ligero, and I added half a leaf of Olor. I bound it with a Columbian binder and wrapped it in a Sumatran binder. It is way way unusual for me to use so many different leaves. I believe too many leaves muddies the result. But it gets worse. I had a batch of oily Habano 2000 wrapper that smelled wonderful but absolutely refused to burn worth a crap. So I made a shroud out off this for each corona. Same idea as those Leaf cigars. Then I shut them all up in a steel canister, to intensify the stinkage. This morning, almost two years later, I extracted one:

and here it is with the shroud removed:

I can't hope for an impartial impression of this one, after investing all that time and effort. But I can tell you this much without diffidence or tergiversation: This is the best goddam cigar smell you have ever smelt in your MF'in gar smellin life, right here on this shroud I took off. And this is the best goddam MFn gar taste you ever put on your tongue, this unlit corona in my jaws. I'm thinking that stinkleaf and two years makes a good recipe. Fact, I am gonna uncork a cold Coors to clean the coffee off my palate before I spark this gem... maybe a Westerhall Plantation Rum chaser. I don't care if it is early.

High hopes., Looking forward to a Torano 1916 experience, from the smells of it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Talkin bout aging...

September 2017, I put together a series of coronas which I named Flan. I blent half a leaf each of Corojo seco. viso, and ligero, and I added half a leaf of Olor. I bound it with a Columbian binder and wrapped it in a Sumatran binder. It is way way unusual for me to use so many different leaves. I believe too many leaves muddies the result. But it gets worse. I had a batch of oily Habano 2000 wrapper that smelled wonderful but absolutely refused to burn worth a crap. So I made a shroud out off this for each corona. Same idea as those Leaf cigars. Then I shut them all up in a steel canister, to intensify the stinkage. This morning, almost two years later, I extracted one:

and here it is with the shroud removed:

I can't hope for an impartial impression of this one, after investing all that time and effort. But I can tell you this much without diffidence or tergiversation: This is the best goddam cigar smell you have ever smelt in your MF'in gar smellin life, right here on this shroud I took off. And this is the best goddam MFn gar taste you ever put on your tongue, this unlit corona in my jaws. I'm thinking that stinkleaf and two years makes a good recipe. Fact, I am gonna uncork a cold Coors to clean the coffee off my palate before I spark this gem... maybe a Westerhall Plantation Rum chaser. I don't care if it is early.

High hopes., Looking forward to a Torano 1916 experience, from the smells of it.
Hoping you get one of the few smells good=tastes good experiences in the game....

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure feels good when you have those satisfying moments. At what RH roughly were the smokes kept? I’m personally thinking of aging some smokes covered in tabacco scarps in airtight glass jars, hope I get the same results, won’t know for a few years though.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It sure feels good when you have those satisfying moments. At what RH roughly were the smokes kept? I’m personally thinking of aging some smokes covered in tabacco scarps in airtight glass jars, hope I get the same results, won’t know for a few years though.

I had no earthly idea, to tell you the truth. I put everything into gar boxes stuck in one of those four foot long white Bigloos that you put on the back of a motorboat and go fishing. Has a tight lid that you have to pry it up. So, bout two hours ago, I put one of my remote wireless doodads in it before we went to the vet. On our return, it's reading 62%. So let's say about 62%. I have zero beads or other humidibbiditty gear in there., Truth is, I prolly spend less worry over humidibbiditty than most anyone else involved in gars. I don't own even a drop of distilled water. I condition wrapper leaf as needed, in the conditioner chamber. Other'n that, it takes care of itself. New gars go into a cedar lined humidor that was made to exhibvit a nice marquetry leaf, rather than being made to keep your gars in fine fettle. By the time I get enough fresh rolls in there to salt away, they have prolly dried out to that 62%. Then they get boxed and salted away in the Bigloo. I try not to open that cooler every day, not by any means. Quick inventory tells me there's like 500 gars in there; but that inventory hasn't been updated in a long while.

Leaf is a different story. I just did an inventory last week, and it shows me 45 lbs. My main stash stays in a big tub, sealed in the bags that WLT sent me. My opened wrapper stash stays in a regular Coleman cooler. That cooler has a wireless remote reads 73%. My opened filler stash sets in another Coleman. That wireless remote also reads 62%. Outside on the porch, as it happens, reads 62% today. So there's a lot of that going around. But with the air on, it's only 49% in this room. The ready stash, who knows. I prolly have on the order of 45 pounds of leaf stash, all told, tween the tub, the open wrapper stash, the open filler stash, the stash of FX Smith CT shade wads, the carton of small & dry CT shade, the big Tupp tub of Indonesian, and the ready stashes. It's a sickness. I have been cutting back, tho. Have not bought any since I got laid off. Takes a long time to cut into all that, rolling at two gars a day.

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By rolling 2 cigars a day it is quite a nice average, 700+ smokes a year. With 45 lbs of tobacco with about 10% in lost you should be able to roll at least 600 more wouldn’t you?

In a way storing your smokes for two years in a thin can would be similar to what many makers do when they box them in tubos airtight cylinders which I think are made of aluminium.

As I wrote previously, I am moving away from wood humidors to airtight glass jar, they are cheap and if the cigars go in at 65% RH they should stay there without the need of any humidification. I put a piece a cedar for the aroma but putting tobacco scraps may be the trick as you did with your extra wrappers.

I am wondering by putting a cigar in an airtight container if after a while there could be a form of anaerobic fermentation developing? Any chemist amongst the group?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
By rolling 2 cigars a day it is quite a nice average, 700+ smokes a year. With 45 lbs of tobacco with about 10% in lost you should be able to roll at least 600 more wouldn’t you?

In a way storing your smokes for two years in a thin can would be similar to what many makers do when they box them in tubos airtight cylinders which I think are made of aluminium.

As I wrote previously, I am moving away from wood humidors to airtight glass jar, they are cheap and if the cigars go in at 65% RH they should stay there without the need of any humidification. I put a piece a cedar for the aroma but putting tobacco scraps may be the trick as you did with your extra wrappers.

I am wondering by putting a cigar in an airtight container if after a while there could be a form of anaerobic fermentation developing? Any chemist amongst the group?

Not a chemist, but I did sleep in the doghouse last night.

I tried the acrylic canister method once, and, yeah, it got all diaper pailed up in there. Mighta been too damp on the way in. I still use the acrylic canister, but I use it for my ready stash of gars on the porch... which means it gets opened frequently, which would swap out the air. My steel canister inside the Bigloo, that was never sealed, so presumably air could leak in round the lid.

You know those Spanish cedar dividers you find between layers in a cigar box? They make fine liners to imbue aging rolls in a can with their cedar snurff. So do those shaving thin liners they put inside tubos.

But I honestly think the easiest option is a tight lid Bigloo filled with cedar boxes. The local gar store sells their empties for a buck. I pick thru them for the best looking with clasp lids. Label each box with the blend I am stashing. In they go. Used to shrink wrap each box & set 'em on a shelf, before I blew fifty bucks on a bigloo. You can see the smaller Payback box has still got some cling wrap on it... the one labeled "Bob". But this big cooler, nothing seems to go dry. I spose if I lived where Bliss does, I might put some kitty litter in there to soak up excess wet. If I lived in the vast bleak wasteland of the Southwest, I might set a wet rag in there from time to time. But for DullAware, this works easy fine.

I stack four or five layers of boxes inside. So there's a lot of boxes in there you don't see in the pic. Each box holds a couple dozen. That larger Payback box you see has an inch and a quarter cedar flange and holds 60. I have a couple of those. This one Daily Habit can... can't even see it in the Bigloo pic, but there's gotta be a hundred just in there.

I should update an inventory of this stash.

A box of 50 FX Smith's gars ships out inside a corrugated box with crumpled newspaper liner at two pounds. So without the box inside a box and the newspapers, plus wastage, let's say 25 gars a pound. That calcs out to 1,000 gars for 40 lbs, assuming you used all of it. I figure on 800, and then I'll be all wrapper and no filler... something like that. We'll see. At some point, I will have to admit I have more gars than I can live long enough to smoke. Used to give more away faster; but I'm saving on postage since the budget got squeezed all to hell. Might throw some batches away just cause others are better.

Okay. I gotta cook breakfast now and then get to work.

====================================
Sent from my I'mnot an Ihead using tapakeg

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this technique is called but was listening to a podcast where one of the advertisers was saying that they were taking their tobacco blend, bailing them together and letting them age bailed between 12 to 18 months before rolling. Any one tried that? I have a shrink wrap machine and certainly enough tobacco for a full year in advance may just try it. Which brings me to a second question, has anyone ever shrink wrapped cigars to let them age?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what this technique is called but was listening to a podcast where one of the advertisers was saying that they were taking their tobacco blend, bailing them together and letting them age bailed between 12 to 18 months before rolling. Any one tried that? I have a shrink wrap machine and certainly enough tobacco for a full year in advance may just try it. Which brings me to a second question, has anyone ever shrink wrapped cigars to let them age?

I wouldn’t shrink wrap them to age. They need the oxygen to ferment and release ammonia. It really wouldn’t “age” them at all if you shrink wrap them. People store full boxes still wrapped in cello myself included but the cello on a new box of cigars breathes just like the cello on a single stick.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

We can call it marrying the flavors pre-roll? I always do it to an extent when case up to flatten then case down to roll. I use a tub and, time on it is about 50 hours or so, sometimes more. Don't shrink wrap them to wet if you do.