What's new

AirGun Scope? need suggestions.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I bought a pellet gun the other day, and returned it because it had a bent barrel. You could look down the barrel and only see a portion of the opening on the other end. I was bummed because it was the last one they had in that model, and was on sale. So I got my money back, and bought another. It is a Crosman Storm XT, and shoots at 1000 FPS with standard pellets, but can go supersonic with the premium light weight pellets. Needless to say this is not a toy. I’m a cheap bastard and got this one on clearance as well and it did not come with the stock scope it normally comes with. So the guys at Big 5 gave me a display model of the Barska Pinker scope for free, however it is not rated to handle the recoil of an airgun for very long. The sales rep at Barska said the recoil will destroy this site fairly quickly.

The gun I have is a break barrel springer type gun. I am told I need to get a scope rated for this type of use. Do any of you have an airgun scoped? Or do you know of a good scope I can grab for this gun?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Wish I had a suggestion, but glad to hear they filled you in on the scope requirements. Recoil for airguns is a whole different animal from regular fiearms and it'll tear up a scope rated for massive recoil on a firearm in no time.

This post needs pics!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I would just pick up a cheap firearms scope. Depending on what you want, magnified or RDS, there are infinite options. Especially for dirt cheap. I would personally choose a RDS, or anything non-magnified. I've shot airguns with magnified scopes, and the pellet rarely hit where the crosshairs were.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I would just pick up a cheap firearms scope. Depending on what you want, magnified or RDS, there are infinite options. Especially for dirt cheap. I would personally choose a RDS, or anything non-magnified. I've shot airguns with magnified scopes, and the pellet rarely hit where the crosshairs were.
As was mentioned earlier, a regular firearms scope, especially a cheap one, will be lucky to last a single session. The recoil is totally different from that of a firearm and it flat out destroys regular scopes. When you talk about your experience are you talking about .177 pellet guns or airsoft type guns?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
.177 pellet guns. I have never heard of, nor seen, an airgun destroying a firearm scope. I've seen airguns destroy cheap airsoft scopes and the like.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I'm definitely referring to centerfire scopes, just fyi. I should have mentioned that earlier. I know nothing about rimfire specific scopes

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Range is only about25-30 yards, in the new back yard, maybe upto 50yds. The hillside behind us has rats and crows. After I decimate that population, I’ll most likely be drink killing coors light cans.

And craig, while yeah I get it, air guns are toys compared to a 30.06, but this is a small varmint killer for sure. was reading a bunch of reviews on this gun. Lot a of dead squirrels and rabbits, but on stood out. They thought it was a toy as well, like a red rider with different BB. On a dare they shot a buddy in the palm of his hand from about 20 ft. it went right through his hand. And they promptly left for the hospital. 1000+Feet per second is pretty quick and the right pellets hit Hard.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
yeah i don't NEED a scope, just want one for the target stuff.

I used to be able to put a 5 shots in a half inch group from 20 yards. Always fun to know you could put an eye out ON PURPOSE.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I'm younger than you are clint. Or at least from the look of your wrinkled skin, that is what I assume...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
.177 pellet guns. I have never heard of, nor seen, an airgun destroying a firearm scope. I've seen airguns destroy cheap airsoft scopes and the like.
Depends on the airgun. I'm talking mainly about spring-air guns. It has to do with the dual recoil of a spring-air gun going both rearward and forward.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Spent a bit more time behind the sights on this gun today. Still no scope, and I'm thinking i do not want one. Man, this thing goes through a soda can, and the can doesn't even move. I'm a bout 25 yards back, and wasn't even sure I was hitting it. I walked up to it, and it looked like swiss cheese. I find that I am sighted a bit low. I was aiming at the top of the can, and most of the pellets were right thru the bottom.

Do I raise the rear sight or lower it to correct this?