What's new

Alaskans and Their Guns

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As I mentioned in another thread, I had an appointment to meet a young man and his mother in Portage Valley at sunrise to shoot some senior pictures. Since I'd had a near-encounter with a bear in Portage Valley once before, I decided to take the .44 with me. Granted, that encounter was in early Spring, before the valley filled up with tourists and shooed the bears off, but with fall setting in, the travel season has been winding down and there was the slightly increased possiblity of bears ranging further in search of pre-winter nutrition.

Now, even though most Alaskan's wouldn't blink twice about me carrying one, I do have to consider that Anchorage has a demographic that's, shall we say, not typically Alaskan. So, I gently broached the subject by asking the young man's mother, "I don't think there's a big chance we'll run into any bears but just in case, would you mind if I wore my sidearm?"

Her response: "Oh, I wish you would! I left mine at home."

Just one of the reasons I love Alaska...and Alaskans.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 'lil pea shooter......is that to annoy the bear, or is that what you use to put yourself out of your misery while the bear is eating his way up your leg?

:)

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That 'lil pea shooter......
Hehe...while I agree that bigger is definitely better when it comes to bears, I wouldn't sell the .44 too short.

Fella at my local flyshop took a brown down in self defense with a .357 a couple or three years ago and a friend did the same on a handgun hunt. Another friend felled a charging black bear with his CCW .40S&W. He was answering the call of nature when the bruin came out of the bushes and I'm not sure my friend even had a chance to let go of his tackle with the other hand.

The .44 goes with me when the 12ga is problematic to carry.

Texas Cop

Cavalry Scout
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lil off topic here, but I see that you do CA shooting, ever make it as far as Texas? I used to work at a shooting range, and loved officaiting those events!

drew