What's new

All I want is brake pads and tires

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
It's not really unscrupulous to suggest an alignment when receiving new tires. Your alignment can/will get out of whack over time. If your alignment is out of whack, your tires will wear unevenly and will cost you much more down the road than the few bucks for a proper alignment. Sorta like going to the dentist and getting a filling but not wanting them to clean your teeth.

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Welding? On your Jeep?

I do almost all my own work too with the exception of tires and alignments and only because I don't have the tools. If I had a brake lathe I'd do that part myself as well because I do all of our brakes and have on ever car we've owned. I do exhaust, tuneups, major collision repairs (not our accidents) on salvage title cars we've bought, you name it, I've probably done it at least once. Windshields, coolers, engine swaps, blah blah blah. My dad paints them, he's a bodyman. I have nothing against good shops, I just don't have the coin to pay them what they have to charge to keep the doors open.
Yeah... its not stock :grin:

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well I started having grinding from the left rear brake so I bit the bullet. Was going to have them both done but the tire place I went to first (Discount tire) doesn't do brakes and didn't have the tires that were on special in stock for my car. Went to a firestone up the road (shudder, ickkkk) "Have to do a 14.99 brake inspection first" ahem. I just told you they're shot. "Oh we don't have the pads in stock be here in 2 hours" - forget it. Finally went by a Good year that was on the way home. (more shudder, more icck) Said they had the front pads but not the back, but could get them in 20 minutes. Promised to be done by 12. (it was 10:15 then) Matched a quoted price from someone else that knocked 40 dollars off. I said just brakes no tires. Did the brakes, still tried to sell me tires once they got a look at the other ones. (no thanks I don't need another credit card) But they had it out at 12 on the dot and did a dang good job. Stops smoother than ever. I had a 70 mile round trip to drive that afternoon so I really needed them. (for my "job" that's really not)

Guess I should bite the bullet and get the tools the next go round.

Now for tires.....