What's new

Allergies affecting taste??

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Every once in awhile when the weather changes durastically I can tell, but not normally

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I haven't had a problem with allergies, but if I get any sort of cold, no taste at all. It sucks...

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I have the same problem....when I'm really stuffy, cigars loose a lot of their flavor. I have two solutions for days like that:

#1 - Don't smoke that day.

#2 - Burn a Dog Rocket because you won't be able to tell the difference.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have allergies as well, actually really bad allergies. I was taken claratin but my doctor told me not to take that b/c it is not considered an everyday medication to help with allergies. He put me on singulair and nasonex. It has helped 100% with my allergies. Maybe something to look into.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Sheep do you know of any allergy meds that work well. Benadryll and claratin don't work for me anymore.
I know this wasn't directed towards me, but I take Stinging Nettle Extract 2 to 3 times a day during allergy season and its helped me out a lot. Claritin and others all stopped working after a few months for me.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used to have that problem.

What I found has helped me is raw local honey. I read a special about it. Said to take a table spoon a day (or was it tea spoon) of local honey once a day. It helps your body builder up tolerances against the pollens that flare your spring and fall allergies. I have been doing it now for almost 3 years and I rarely feel any allergy effect any more. I get 2.5 lbs jars of the honey from a local far for $5.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Not that I know of as I don't have too many issues with pollen or allergies. I can see how this would as smell has lots to do with the enjoyment of the cigar.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
well, depending on the severity of your allergies, i'd say yes. but i started taking it when I first noticed "itchy" symptoms, and it seemed to work fairly quickly.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely refuse to have allergies, I have gone my entire life without them and have no need to get them now.

That being said, I haven't been able to smell anything for two weeks, and my entire body is itching.

I am going to blame sunspots.....

Anyway, Clarinex works pretty good for times when I need to be able to smell or taste, fancy dinner or wine tasting for example. The local honey is a good idea, I'll be giving that a try before buying pills for the rest of my life.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I used to have that problem.

What I found has helped me is raw local honey. I read a special about it. Said to take a table spoon a day (or was it tea spoon) of local honey once a day. It helps your body builder up tolerances against the pollens that flare your spring and fall allergies. I have been doing it now for almost 3 years and I rarely feel any allergy effect any more. I get 2.5 lbs jars of the honey from a local far for $5.
One of my guys takes fresh bee pollen he gets at the health store. Same basic concept. Works for him

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
This always seems to happen to me. But since I haven't done any yard work in awhile it's getting better.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you mention this, it's been really bad for me the last few weeks. Not only do my allergies ruin my ability to taste cigars this time of year, if I smoke outside, just breathing in all of the pollen for an hour or two leaves me tired out and feeling poorly. Since I am accustomed to smoking out by my pool I have really cut back my smoking since the pollen levels have skyrocketed.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I have the same problem....when I'm really stuffy, cigars loose a lot of their flavor. I have two solutions for days like that:

#1 - Don't smoke that day.

#2 - Burn a Dog Rocket because you won't be able to tell the difference.

:stretchgr
Since #1 ain't an option in my mind, I raid the Moochador and follow Mick's direction and Love The One I'm With.