What's new

Almost out of pipe tobacco.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought two ounces of Treebeard back in June I think. Anyway, I'm looking for something that isn't flavored and is aged at least 5 years. Anyone know of some pipe tobacco (possibly made from cigar tobacco) that fits these criteria?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Wow, two ounces in only 5 months? You're a real chimney! :innocent: :grin:

There are only a couple of pipe tobaacco blends made with cigar leaf that I know of ...

Cornell & Diehl Grey Ghost
McClellands Dominican Glory ( regular and maduro )
GL Pease Robusto

These mfgs all stamp the date on the tins, so you might find some aged stock sitting at a local tobacco shop, on Ebay or in some pipe smokers' cellar.

Another thing you might try is to chop up one of your favorite aged cigars and mix 50/50 with some burley tobacco (Kentucky Club, Prince Albert, Half N' Half, Granger, Velvet). A small food processor is a good way to chop up quickly and uniformly. The burley will add a bit of a nutty flavor.

MithShrike

Yerba mate for life.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh god tedski you know not what of you speak. I could never chop up the cigars my friend so painstakingly took the time to roll for me. It's bad enough I can watch my cigars being made but what's worse is that the leaves are all 30 years old and then on top of that my friend made a blend specifically for me. God am I ever spoiled.

Anyway, I take it back, it was 6 ounces. I ordered two six ounce bags. One of Treebeard and one of Dunhill My 965. I gave the Dunhill away. Thanks for the recommendations tedski, I'll do some research. I'm going to try and weedle some scrap tobacco away from my friend. The Searcher has been trying for over a year with no luck, we'll see how well I do.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
:scratchhe

Not really sure I understand the dilemma. You are going to smoke the cigars right? And the end result ... no matter how the tobacco is burned ... will still be ash, right?

Of course I'm not suggesting you sacrafice your custom rolled beauties ... as there are plenty of well-aged cigars out there for sale. And there are definately quite a few well-aged pipe tobacco tins out there as well.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If you're going to buy burley, I'd recommend going here:

http://tinyurl.com/y6hf63

Since it's only $15 for a pound, and it is much better burley than those drugstore blends.

Sometimes it might need a little rehydrating. The last pound I bought was a little dry, but when I mixed it with my slightly moist 5100
it evened out nicely.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Séamas;150766 said:
If you're going to buy burley, I'd recommend going here:

http://tinyurl.com/y6hf63

Since it's only $15 for a pound, and it is much better burley than those drugstore blends.

Sometimes it might need a little rehydrating. The last pound I bought was a little dry, but when I mixed it with my slightly moist 5100
it evened out nicely.
The link directs you to www.marscigars.com and I've done a bit of business with him...he's a good etailer...good prices too...happy puffing...