What's new

Alonso Menendez Robusto

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a Brazilian puro that was given to me by the guy who distributes them in the Mid-Atlantic region. I have no affiliation with him or the company.

Appearance: Slightly rough-looking, dark brown wrapper. Wrapper is veiny and somewhat coarse. Nice band that came off easily without damaging the wrapper.

Construction: Well-wrapped, but felt soft to the touch. Despite that, the draw was excellent, and it did not burn faster than it should have. Ash held well til a little over an inch before falling off.

Note: I talked to the distributor about the rough appearance and soft feel. He said that these characteristics are favored, even required, by the smokers in the Brazilian and Latin American markets for which these cigars are blended.

Burn: Lit easily and burned perfectly. The ruby was unusually pointy.

Flavor: For me, this is where the rubber meets the road in evaluating cigars. Overall, I thought the flavor was decent and somewhat "unusual." It was slightly spicy throughout. It reminded me of the Altadis cigars, but it was different in a way that I don't have the palate to describe. I suspect that people who like non-Cuban Montecristos, Upmanns, RyJ’s, etc. will probably like these. I thought the body was mild to medium.

I don't know if they're in stores in your area yet, but if you like slightly spicy smokes that are flavorful but not too heavy, and you want something different, you might want to give them a try. If you're interested, you can get more info at
http://brazilcigarsmidatlantic.blogspot.com/index.html

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've smoked em and they are good. I'd like to get more someday. The cigars I smoked were samples from this years RTDA. I like their Dona Flor Cigars better though.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've smoked em and they are good. I'd like to get more someday. The cigars I smoked were samples from this years RTDA. I like their Dona Flor Cigars better though.
I have one of the Dona Flor's sitting in my humidor, waiting for this f#$king head and chest cold to go away. :angerhead

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Alonso Menendez and a Dona Flor sitting in my cooler waiting to be smoked.

From what i keep reading they should turn out to be a pretty good smoke.

I wanted to try the Aquarius line but didnt have any luck getting ahold of one. From what i understand, the Aquarius is supposed to be the mild one of the bunch. Anyone have any experience with this one? I may try and track one down.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... I wanted to try the Aquarius line but didnt have any luck getting ahold of one. From what i understand, the Aquarius is supposed to be the mild one of the bunch. Anyone have any experience with this one? I may try and track one down.
I haven't tried those, but if you contact the local rep, Paul Arneson, I bet he can fix you up: <parneson@cigarsofbrazil.com> . As they said about Ferris Bueller, he is a righteous dude! :peace: :rofl:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Got my first Dona Flor at last years big smoke. I had a hell of a time finding anyone who sold them. Finally found the internet site. Good cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the rep for Brazil Cigars & Tobacco, LLC (kindly mentioned above) that distributes the Dona Flor, the Alonso Menendez, and the Aquarius in the U.S. When I say we're "distributing" them.... let's say we're BEGINNING the process. The Dona Flor has been the best selling premium cigar in Brazil for 30 years... but the U.S. market is new for Menendez & Amerino (our manufacturer). My potential clients are the retailers in DC, MD, VA, WV, PA, and DE. I'd like to extend an offer I made on the StogieGuys.com site awhile back.

If you live in one of "my" states, I'd be more than happy to send a Dona Flor Robusto for you to try. Just send me an e-mail to parneson@cigarsofbrazil.com . Be sure to mention your age and the name of your favorite B&M. All I ask is that you let me know what you think of it --and-- if you like it, mention that to your tobacconist. OK? You might also pop over to my little website and sign-up for the BOX of Dona Flors I'm giving away Christmas Eve. You'll also be signing up for my newsletter updates (I don't share e-mail addresses by the way). Website: http://www.brazilcigarsmidatlantic.blogspot.com/ :santa2: Regards, Paul Arneson

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Well isn't that nice of him. I really did enjoy the cigar. Per one of their suppliers:

"Overview of Dona Flor Cigars
At Brazil Cigars & Tobacco LLC we feature Premium Mata Fina Tobacco all 100% Brazilian Tabacco which is managed by our staff from seed to cigar, insuring quality and consistency every time you light up one of our Premium Hand Made Cigars. Started in 1977 by Felix Menendez, it is the largest selling and best Cigar in Brazil. Our cigars are made from the Mata Fina Tobacco from the regions in Bahia Brazil and are sought after world wide for their aromatic quality and flavour. Over 25 years of success in quality premium cigars we have the major market in Brazil due to our quality and consistantly good smoke. Every time you light up one of our cigars you will remember the last time you enjoyed one and will be consistantly the high quality you had before. The reason being we are conscious of every aspect of the process, from seedling, growing, harvesting, drying, fermenting, blending, rolling, inspecting and finally packaging."

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
My local B&M just got in the Dona Flors and Alonso Menendezes. I picked up one of the Alonso robustos last night and it was a great smoke! A really unique taste that I can't really pinpoint -- it was spicy throughout and had maybe a burnt cedar and somewhat floral taste? I have never had a cigar that tasted like this one, and I am definitely very intrigued by them. I wish I woulda picked up a couple more of 'em and also some Dona Flors.
Oh well, at least I got another excuse to go to the B&M again...

TYLER

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
They sound pretty good. I tend to like puros and the CAO Brazilia was favoe of mine when I first started smoking

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Let us know what you think. Its been a while since I had these and was thinking of a box when this thread started.