What's new

Am I crazy? To bring cigars on an international flight...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting married at the Hard Rock Resort in Punta Cana, DR in July 2014. I know I'll be able to purchase cigars when I'm there, I just want to bring some special ones for my buddies while I'm down there.
I've never brought cigars with me on an international flight before...Does anyone think there will be any issues? I have a travel humi that I want to bring and I'm not sure if I should. Should I put it in a checked bag or carry-on?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
You definitely want to bring your own to Punta Cana..

Sticks are STUPID EXPENSIVE there.. they know tourists will pay crazy prices and take advantage of it.. there are also tons of fakes sold there.. both CC and NC..

Thats not to say there arent great cigars that can be had there...

But... buyer beware.. and bring a fat wallet..

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Always carry cigars on with you, tsa has never bothered me about a cigar, only my lighter a couple times (ex natural) cause they thought it was a torch, but lighter and cutter go in my pocket on planes and cigars travel in my carryon

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Carry on for sure.

Also, if you are bringing banded Cuban cigars, I would only bring what I planned to smoke there. You could have them seized upon return by US Customs.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
totally agree with the carry on comments...

no way Im putting sticks in check bags..

TSA is a bit sensitive about torches.. but soft flame isnt an issue.. nor is a cutter... I typically put all of this in my carry on..

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I've done both.

I usually carry on but if I have too many of them I put them in my checked luggage. Never had any issues.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I travel quite a bit and bring my own cigars....always. Don't worry about it unless you want to leave the bands on them that say they are CC's which might draw attention from the wrong TSA person. I bring my own CC's and take the bands off and I've never had to deal with any agent trying to ascertain as to it's heritage. If you visit a reliable Vendor that sells CC's and want to bring them home with you...remove the bands and put them inside one of your socks stuffed into one of your shoes.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
...remove the bands and put them inside one of your socks stuffed into one of your shoes.
"This vintage Ramon Allones features milk chocolate, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and a light infusion of Gary's left foot..."

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I take cigars on international flights frequently. I usually carry my better sticks with me and put the other sticks in my shoes of the checked bag.

I always travel with at least one torch lighter. Usually two. Most head shops carry small torches that look similar to a Bic lighter and can be had for $4 or less. My other travel torches are mostly plastic and I usually put one in my liquids ziplock and they always make it through. I'm guessing security thinks that they are cologne bottles.

The only place that I had trouble with a lighter was leaving china. They have a very advanced X-ray system and identified and had me remove a soft flame Bic from my carry-on bag.

Also, never declare your cigars through customs of any country as they are your personal property and you have no intent to sell.

Have a good time and enjoy the smokes.

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
Be careful with your travel humidor. If you have a Xikar travel case that holds they do not have a coin pressure release, so the altitude will make it hard to re-open the case.