What's new

Am I Going Too Slow?

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
A little buzzed so bare with me. As long as your smoke isn't going out, you're not taking it too slow. A wiser brother than myself once taught me: if you smoke them low and slow, before the cherry goes out, you will get the best flavor. It's not a race, just remember to enjoy your smokes, no matter the time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think it bears asking what you're doing. I notice if I'm hanging out with friends I smoke slower. More conversation. If I'm walking or working I tend to smoke more quickly.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your right on track brother; I started smoking slower too to really enjoy the smoke. On the weekedn ill light up a petite corona (anywhere from a 4-4.5 by 38-40 rg) and ill make my rounds in the car, it will last me about a hour plus a little change. I started to shoot for the 30-40 seconf puff time (a couple brothers have mentioned here)

When your with others and smoking (talking) its easier to hit the 30-40 second puff time. When your alone it feels like SUCH A LONG TIME between puffs, it will get normal soon. If the CG is too long (for either attention span or time) just grab a PC like me or a short robo and see if it helps. Slower smoking is the way too go for flavor trust me. stick with it!
Reverse for me. More distracted when talking.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I smoke rather quickly, and still enjoy cigars, and am able to pick out any flavor/strength transitions throughout the smoke. I do purge my smoke about every 10 puffs or so.

I think the only cigar I've ever smoked that took me over 2 hours was the Viaje TNT.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
one thing that hasn't been said; if you're done with a cigar, lay it down and be done with it! i absolutely love falling into the zone with a cigar, burning it as far down as i can, and taking the experience for everything it is worth. BUT. sometimes i am good with it, no longer emotionally invested, and don't quite make it to the band. had my fun, set it aside, and go on with my life. it's not a waste if i enjoyed it, even if i had "plenty left". if this happens a lot, as it seems to be on your side, start looking at smaller options, save the churchills for those rare few times you have two or more hours. o)

also, completely agree with the guys so far on burn time. i have seen some of the burn times listed on some sites, and thought "are those guys high?!?". i block out at least an hour and a quarter for a robo or CG, and an hour at least for a mareva or under.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah. I occasionally will blow out to a torch/flame, as I guess it seems like it takes out some of the ammonia that builds up. It seems to work, as the flavor will balance out some and the lit flame does have a bit of a pop (from what I imagine is the ammonia and other chemicals that can build up).

I don't do it all that often, mainly on a lengthy cigar that seems to get slightly harsh to my taste. To each their own.
So, in your opinion, the torch works better than a good old fashioned purge? I'll have to try that out.

As for the original poster, slower is better, but don't fall asleep. Dangthebugman hit it on the head.
Maybe I'm confused, what is the old fashioned purge? I've just used by lighter as that's what I was shown and it works for me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for all the insight! I don't time myself to a minute between puffs, but its probably between 30-60 seconds. I notice when I am doing something outside all day like attending bike shows or golfing my cigars never seem to last long enough. But lately sitting on my porch or in my garage for 2-hours, and not making a dent in the stick, I lose interest about half way through. I have started to downsize my sticks originally I only smoked Churchills and Belicosos and now am buying smaller lengths and ring gauges thinking that might be the ticket to keep my interest through the winter. Overall, I'm glad to know that I am not going too slow.

Thanks,
MDS

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Generally, Toke intervals are vitola specific. Also to consider is the actual pull. The smaller the ring , the gentler the pull.
Say like a pl montecarlo, those are the sippy cup cigars of the world. The leaf definitely plays into burn times
- a nacimiento once took me about just under 2 fukin hours.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Stillinger, what do you mean by saying you blow out into a torch?
I believe he purges by pushing air through the cigar near a lit flame which expels the stale chemicals or some such thing. I heard about it in my research period.
No reason to do it into a flame, just give a quick puff through your cigar to purge it throughout your smoking experience.

* Doh totally missed this going into this already and a page 2, my bad!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I take about 45 minutes lately for a robusto if I'm out in the cold. Pretty jealous of all you guys who get to smoke inside.

This is why on the weekends and a few days after work on the weekdays, I make a pit stop at my B&M, I can catch up with the fellas but mainly, I can enjoy my cigar in a comfortable climate.

In these circumstances, the cigar seems to be over too fast...even with as slow as I take it.

When outside at my place though, I bundle up and take my headphones with me, listen to a political talk show that I love, 3 hour long show so this keeps me from getting bored.

To try and stay on topic though, I can smoke fast or slow. If I am smoking a bit faster outside when it's colder, it's still at a respectable pace that I am able to find plenty of enjoyment and not get the cigar too hot. 45 - 55 mins on a Robusto.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoke what probably seems painfully slow to most. 45 minutes for a corona gorda seems quick to me. Too quick. If smoking slow is working for you then keep at it. I've stretched coronas and petite coronas out probably too long by most standards but it's part of my enjoyment.

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
45 minutes for a CG is indeed quick. 1 minute per puff is my minimum when I'm paying attention--frequently it's every 90 seconds or 2 minutes. (For a lancero, definitely 2 minutes unless I can't keep it lit.)

Java's advice is key, too. If you can smoke slowly and enjoy the cigar, but only get through half, just pitch it. Better to do that than to smoke faster and develop bitter flavors just to get through all the tobacco.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I first started smoking, which I have to add was only half year ago, I used to take my cutter, smoke half then cut the end off, save the rest.

One cigar would be 2 sit down for me. I remember I got so bored by the halfway point.

But then again, I didn't know much of what I was doing and the cigars I was smoking were ehh...also I was staring into space by myself, now I bring music or podcast.

Man, I have come along way in 6 months from chopping Brickhouse's in half, ha. Classy let me tell ya.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Stillinger, what do you mean by saying you blow out into a torch?
I believe he purges by pushing air through the cigar near a lit flame which expels the stale chemicals or some such thing. I heard about it in my research period.
No reason to do it into a flame, just give a quick puff through your cigar to purge it throughout your smoking experience.

* Doh totally missed this going into this already and a page 2, my bad!
I disagree with this and will post a reason during my next video. "Purging during smoking" maybe ill get it posted up tonight.
Jfire

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Smoking slow does give you better enjoyment, allows for the nuances to develop and come through, etc. I also highly recommend drawing slowly...I will literally take a good ten full seconds to draw on the cigar, further reducing chances of it heating up.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Most of the guys look at me like I'm crazy at the B/M we hang at. I smoke slower than most of them and have no issue pitching a 1/3 of a cigar if that is when it starts to get bitter or sour. I don't mind that most smokes take me 1 1/2 hrs or even 2 on the bigger ones.
If you're bored, move on or pitch it before you're bored. The point is to enjoy the process, not necessarily the entire stick.

AbeFroman

Big Gulps, huh?
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a different method to track my pace to tell whether or not I'm smoking too fast or too slow. After I ash the cigar, the part that's left is my measuring uh, stick. If it's coning, then I'm smoking too fast. If it's caving in, then I'm smoking too slow. I usually try to aim for a rounded nub after I ash and it works for me. Flavors don't really get bitter until the last 1/3rd and even then it's hit or miss, sometimes I can nub it without any flavor problems.