What's new

Amazing Homebrew setup

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Wow, that is awesome!!! Simply amazing that he is replicating the water from other parts of the world.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
yeah that fridge was probably $3,500

replicating the water is an interesting idea. with scotch the distilleries attribute a lot of their flavor to the water source, and they are highly touted... outside of volume constraints, with science the way it is, seems kind of like the coke/pepsi recipe... chemists can figure it out, but there's no real need to have it.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
He probably paid $3500 for the land.

It is a nice set up. There are a lot of breweries that replicate water, harder water for darker beers and what not. It is relatively easy to do if you take measurements and find out your own water chemistry.

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
yeah that fridge was probably $3,500

replicating the water is an interesting idea. with scotch the distilleries attribute a lot of their flavor to the water source, and they are highly touted... outside of volume constraints, with science the way it is, seems kind of like the coke/pepsi recipe... chemists can figure it out, but there's no real need to have it.
I'd be interested for baking purposes...the Brooklyn Water bagel company claims they have a reverse osmosis formula of replicating the brooklyn water...

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
A reverse osmosis formula would be:

1. Remove all water minerals via reverse osmosis.
2. Add back in necessary water minerals to emulate NY City water.

I do it for all my beers. I use RO water and just keep 1lb bags of MgSO4, CaSO4, CaCO3, CaCl2, NaHCO3. I also will use just a touch of kosher salt from time to time. I weigh it all out on a little cheapo gram scale. For pH adjustment with out water minerals if you want to drop the pH I use 88% Lactic acid. I have not really had a need for a liquid way to raise pH but you could get food grade NaOH or KOH. That's basically all you'd need to make almost any water you want. I recently tried to make san pelligrino but I couldn't get the carbonation right. I need a new regulator since my regulator is pure shit.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
A reverse osmosis formula would be:

1. Remove all water minerals via reverse osmosis.
2. Add back in necessary water minerals to emulate NY City water.

I do it for all my beers. I use RO water and just keep 1lb bags of MgSO4, CaSO4, CaCO3, CaCl2, NaHCO3. I also will use just a touch of kosher salt from time to time. I weigh it all out on a little cheapo gram scale. For pH adjustment with out water minerals if you want to drop the pH I use 88% Lactic acid. I have not really had a need for a liquid way to raise pH but you could get food grade NaOH or KOH. That's basically all you'd need to make almost any water you want. I recently tried to make san pelligrino but I couldn't get the carbonation right. I need a new regulator since my regulator is pure shit.
Seems like somebody has waaay to much time on their hands...making water. :bouncetau

j/k Adam, I know you take your craft seriously.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I know you're kidding, adding minerals to water isn't much of a craft. I figured I have a CO2 tank and the minerals why not try. I tried doing it in a 2L PET soda bottle with a carbonation cap. That doesn't work so well. I will try a keg which can take like 100psi after I get a new regulator.

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
That's really cool!

And like Adam said, adjusting water is not difficult if you start with 0 RO/DI water and know what your targets are. tons of calculators on line can help you know how much of x, y, and z add. The challenge comes in when one additive changes multiple variables, like magnesium sulfate for example. Becomes a balancing act to hit exactly what you're looking for.

That said, you could absolutely create a water profile for cooking and such. Never considered it but would be an interesting experiment.

The best beer I've made to date was a clone of Firestone Walkers Union Jack. I had made it once before and it was ok. The second time, I used RO/DI and adjusted the water to the Burton On Trent profile and the beer was awesome. Made it a third time, not adjusting the water and it was not as good. So in brewing, it does have an impact.