What's new

Ammo

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
David's picture of his ammo storage got me thinking:
For those of you who are gun owners, how much ammo do you generally keep on hand for each firearm?

I used to shoot at least twice a month (and would like to get back to that) and tend to flang alot of lead downrange each trip. I've found it much cheaper and more convenient to buy in bulk rather than make a trip to WallyWorld or the gunshop every couple weeks.

Right now I've got approximately:

4500 rds of 9mm
1750 rds of 7.62x39
1600 rds of .45
150 rds of .357mag
800 rds of .22lr
300 rds of .22mag
50 rds. of .38special
50 rds of .380
250 rds of 12ga. (buck, bird, slug)
50 rds of .25

That may seem a little excessive to some but bear in mind that it's not uncommon for me to burn 500rds in one range trip. I've also gotten some great deals buying in bulk and ammo has a very long shelf life.

What's in your bunker?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammo is in my sawed off shotgun. The first round in the magazine is filled with rocksalt. I used to keep that round in the chamber, with the safety on, but that just bothered me on many levels.
Since I am using the scattergun as a home defence/detterent I finally decided that the first step in protecting myselfy and my girlfriend was the sound of the weapon being cocked.

Anyway, one round of rock salt, one of #8 bird shot, one round #4 buck shot, and then 2 Sabot slugs, (for when I have to shoot through the wall).

I may have a couple of loose rounds in my closet, but I just don't shoot much anymore, living in a fairly big city.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I don't get a chance to get out much as far as shooting goes for whatever reason. That really needs to change. Hard to justify new purchases to the financial planner (to steal a term from Todd) when I'm never out shooting. Just enough ammo in the house for a few mags of each.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I used to go through 1000-1500 rounds a week while I competed but lately not many now. I keep maybe 500-1500 rounds of various reloads and enough reloading supplies for maybe 5000 more. Also 500-700 rounds of store bought (don't ever carry a gun for protection with your reloads). No where close to the 10,000 or so you keep. You be da man. BTW I told my wife if I dye and you can,t open the safe Do Not have anyone use a torch. KABOOOM.