What's new

An epic cigar day (10-14-14)

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
The wife and I go to Cabo every year (for the last 8 years) and this particular vacation week always falls on her Bday and this year especially (our 1 year anniversary year).
Since Cabo got hit hard we changed our location to Cancun. We had only been there once before a couple years ago and it was a work thing for her so it was meh.

This trip was awesome dn this particular day (10-14) was an epic cigar day for me. Here is the breakdown of the day...
I woke up at 5am. Very unusually especially when on vacation and having stayed up late the night before. I finally roe out of bed at about 6am and decided to watch the sun come up while enjoying a smoke. I grabbed a Padron 1964 Anniversario Pyramid. This was the stick that started it all for me and it was a long overdue reunion.

It was awesome to reminisce on the memories of what got me started, the trip I was on at the time, the friends I made AND to watch the sunrise wake up Cancun.

That afternoon after some pool and ocean time I went back up to smoke cigar #2, a Liga Privada T52 Belicoso. This was so different than the Double Corona I had a few weeks ago. After smoking this stick I am looking forward to more as the previous just didn't seem worth it but this one was on a different level.

If you wonder why I smoke on my balcony vs downstairs by the pool... this is why...

That late afternoon we decided to go find the one place that had consistently good reviews for cigars in Cancun and a place that had a reputation for their Mojitos. Since the closure of Hemingway's in Cabo we have not had a Mojito that could even come close. La Casa Del Habano delivered on all that was needed and then some. The wife left me there while she went to the mall. This is where I decided to have a Cohiba Siglo IV and enjoyed one hell of a Mojito made by none other than "the Mojito Man".

The Cohiba did something very interesting. With a few inches left I heard a pop and felt a snap. The wrapper split down the middle. I was close to the end so it wasn't that big a deal and I was having fun and enjoying some conversation so it didn't matter.

The wife got back and wanted something mild and tasty. The cigar lady put her into a Montecristo Joyita. I also enjoyed one after my Cohiba. Wow... tasty little devil!
I also like to smoke with the wife when she's willing to join me. She enjoys it but usually leaves me to it alone because she knows its my time to relax. This time we had a blast with a tasty smoke, a great mojito in a great place with some fun people. The below pic is David "Mojito Man" Torres.

That evening was capped off with the best CC in the world (IMHO), a Montecristo #2. By the time I got to this smoke we were both so happy and mellow that we just sat up on the balcony in the dark, listened to the music from downstairs, talked about what a great day it was and turned in when the smoking was done.

The wife was happy, I was happy, there was not a bad smoke had and it was a day for the memory books for sure.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Amazing story brother.. great sticks and pictures! and happy birthday!!!

hahaha bro! I went to that LCDH too! thats the one right by the police station right?? like right across the street? the guy goes "he makes the best mojitos" lmao great guys there I RACKED up lol...

I went there for my honey moon and stayed at Le Blanc.. I can't wait to go back!

looks like you had a blast!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Sounds like a great day man :)

Have you had the big mojito they make at the LCDH in Cabo, same owners as Hemingway's? Do you not think those are okay? I was there last December and thought it was pretty tasty... and HUGE!?!

This is literally a full size jar:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Sounds like a great day man :)

Have you had the big mojito they make at the LCDH in Cabo, same owners as Hemingway's? Do you not think those are okay? I was there last December and thought it was pretty tasty... and HUGE!?!

This is literally a full size jar:

Let me preface what Im about to say with the fact that LCDH Cabo (aka JJs) has a special place in my cigar heart. The first time I saw that place it was like seeing a mirage. I couldn't believe that amidst that crappy downtown Cabo area there was actually a place that sold quality cigars with knowledgable sales people and fully stocked and maintained walking humidor. You can only see so many walking with a box every few feet with only a couple of pinched and cracked sticks being pimped as quality CCs or "best in town". Then a couple years later Hemingways opened up and it was nirvana for me and the wife (she loved it just as much). We are both sad that Cabo was hit so hard a few months ago and unfortunately we don't think well go back for a few years (various reasons).

Now... the question and answer portion :)
The Mojitos at Hemindways were phenomenal. The whole place was amazing and it was supposed to be the site for my Bachelor party BUT by the time we got back out to Cabo to plan it all (and take a vacation) Hemindways had closed down. :frown::cry tears: I think when we pulled up, saw the gates were padlocked and the place was stripped we might have actually welled up a bit.
We were pleased to learn that JJs was still making their Mojitos and they were just as tasty (we made it a point to go to JJs a few times each trip) BUT they were also smaller but still priced the same. The last few years we were there they were serving them in to go cups. I see yours is in a mason jar. That would have been nice if it was offered to us.

I don't fully recall the prices at JJs but the wife thinks they were a bit pricier than Cacun ($10 in cancun). Do you remember the prices at JJs?
I enjoyed the 3 year aged rum vs the 7 or 15. You?

The LCDH in Canucn is a mix of JJs and Hemingways. Its got the walk in stocked with CCs and even some non CCs (I was shocked to see about every size of Opus X represented and full boxes at that). They have a full bar and seating vs. JJs that only has those couple of tables and limited bar. Always made me feel like I was in the way.

2012 (the year we learned Hemingways was closed)

I hate surprise pics... 08 at Hemingways

I dont remember this guys name but he was at JJs then moved over to Hemingways. He always remembered us and that was so awesome!

Not Hemingways but I felt like throwing it in... still don't know who she was (the blond not the brunett who is now my wife)...

Still 08

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I don't fully recall the prices at JJs but the wife thinks they were a bit pricier than Cacun ($10 in cancun). Do you remember the prices at JJs?
I enjoyed the 3 year aged rum vs the 7 or 15. You?
Yeah I asked for the HC 3 year as I like them the best in mojitos... how I make'em at home. :) I don't remember the prices though, didn't really care. lol

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Thanks for sharing what is a great and memorable cigar experience! Fun and inspiring to read...Hope your marriage continues to flourish :)