What's new

ANEJO Suprise

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning decided to smoke one of my 6 inch Anejo cigars, opened out of the plastic pulled cedar sleeve off and to my shock frickin what looks like !!!! MOLD !!!

First time for this to happen to me none of my other cedar sleeved cigars have mold on them except for the 6 inch ANEJO's, will it hurt to smoke them what can this do to them I have 5 more and opened 1 and it was same haven't opened other 4 leaving them sealed so not to contaminate any other of my cigars

Any advice?
By the way temp is stable at 68 to 70, with stable 68 to 69 relative humidity this is based on location in the cabinet!!

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
dThis is very common with Anejo's. I think it has to do with the broadleaf wrapper being a bit thicker that it holds moisture longer when being rolled (wrapper leaf is somewhat "wet" to help it remain pliable during rolling) and the cedar tends to lock in some of the excess moisture.

That doesn't look bad to me, I woul wipe it off and smoke it. Personally, I would lower that humidity down a few points to around 65-66. Most people tend to remove the cedar for long term storage of Anejos to prevent this.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
All of this is covered in my illustrated children's book "Why I Hate Cedar".

But, on a serious note, I "shuck" any and all Fuente that comes in to the humi. When I pull the sleeve off, I do a quick once-over to confirm there is no mold beginning to form, then back into the box and into the humi it goes.

As was stated previously, Añejo is one of the usual suspects for this kind of under cedar mold growth.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
If Fuente presumably knows this is or can be a problem, why continue to put the cedar on there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys @Spenny with your collection I would say you would be the man to have seen this wow at the hauls you have made!

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
If Fuente presumably knows this is or can be a problem, why continue to put the cedar on there?

I'd suspect that if kept at proper temperature and humidity, there would be no concern of mold. But with moisture and the vegetable glue they use, there is a definite mold risk that is exacerbated by the cedar, again only in my opinion and anecdotal knowledge.

Thanks guys @Spenny with your collection I would say you would be the man to have seen this wow at the hauls you have made!
Lol. I have seen it. As Craig pointed out, I've wiped and lit a few, some in the more advanced stages go into the trash. I also make it a point to wash my hands immediately after handling infected cigars, probably out of a misplaced sense of paranoia, but I don't want to take any chances.

Rating - 100%
262   0   0

But, on a serious note, I "shuck" any and all Fuente that comes in to the humi. When I pull the sleeve off, I do a quick once-over to confirm there is no mold beginning to form, then back into the box and into the humi it goes.

As was stated previously, Añejo is one of the usual suspects for this kind of under cedar mold growth.
I do this too. All cedar and all tubos get removed before going into the humidor. Just a matter of habit to prevent mold.
dThis is very common with Anejo's. I think it has to do with the broadleaf wrapper being a bit thicker that it holds moisture longer when being rolled (wrapper leaf is somewhat "wet" to help it remain pliable during rolling) and the cedar tends to lock in some of the excess moisture.

That doesn't look bad to me, I woul wipe it off and smoke it. Personally, I would lower that humidity down a few points to around 65-66. Most people tend to remove the cedar for long term storage of Anejos to prevent this.
Yep, very common with anejo. Cedar and moisture don't mix. Happens a lot with tubos too. Presentation is great, but the mold is a PITA....

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
231   0   0

me too

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Good thread guys, I have acquired some Anejos and other Fuente cedar wrapped sticks as part of higher end samplers purchased back around black Friday. I will remove the Cedar from them later today and check for anything growing.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I went through and pulled all my cedar sleeves after reading this. I considered doing it before, but convinced myself it would be fine. The picture and advice of posters made me change my mind.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

It's called "merchandising" and making the consumer think about the positives of cedar aroma....marketing has as much to do with cigars as it does anything. Even the FOG's get caught up in this game of how we visualize product and what looks cool. Let's face it...put a body style on a Porsche ( remember the old box style ones? ) or just a VW and nobody gives a $hit about buying it...but put that streamlined cool looking rounded edge body and people want it. Those Anejos just look like something you have to have....laying there in that cigar box with the ribbon and cedar with the foot all wrapped....like a half dressed stripper cooing softly with that come hither look....and us standing there with spittle draining off our hairy little chin strip....like a hipster on xanax...oh how easily lead we are sometimes.