What's new

Anglers... thoughts on a bass boat

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There is no Boat section that i could see, so i guess i'll post it here. I understand this is a cigar forum... but you all seem to have a wide base of knowledge and experiences, so why not ask....

Looking to get a 16-17 ft aluminum boat this spring. Really looking at the G3 Eagle 176, Lowe ST175, or even a center console utility boat like the G3 1860 DLX. Mostly fishing small-medium lakes... LM and SM bass, crappie, and walleye.
I know less about boats than i do cigars.....

Anything i should look for before i drop hard earned cash? Be it boat or engine preferences.... or just tips. A friend of mine, for example, told me to look under the console to see how the electronic wiring harnesses are. That sloppy wiring will indicate sloppy work elsewhere. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I have owned and sold a couple. Value wise your best bet if you aren't sure if you are going to keep it a long time is a Lund. Those things hold their value no matter what. I had a Lund Pro-V 2025 and sold it to a friend for what I bought it for after 2 years. He then sold it for 3 grand more 3 years later. They are virtually indestructible and come in a ton of different models.

In MN right now on craigslist there are like 400 Lunds in all sorts of price ranges. If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget? That will help me better point you in the right directions.
If your just using it for smaller lakes there is no reason to go all crazy on the motor (which is a large percentage of the sales price). A 60 horse engine should be plenty. Ask for service receipts, as that will show you how much they cared for the boat. Lots of service/maintenance receipts = someone who cared about the longevity of their boat.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I'd advise you to buy a well maintained used boat. Best value on the basic package and you will likely find the owner has added a lot of the fishing features you're going to want.

Since you will use it on fairly small water and will likely troll some a mid sized motor is plenty. ..saves you from burning up a lot of fuel in a big motor or from needing a kicker. I'd go 4 stroke on the motor for trolling as well.

One thing too is that boats seem to shrink once you've on the water so don't skimp more than you have to on size, and try to find one with good storage.

For bass fishing be wary of big windshields. ..they act like sails on light aluminum boats and make it hard to keep the boat on track with your front trolling motor.
A galvanized trailer is nice...ugly, but they hold up and don't rust as much as the painted ones.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm trying to keep it under $17K. I have a Jeep Wrangler so i do have a 2,000 lb tow restriction. I love Lund boats... but the only one i can find in by budget and under my weight limits is the Rebel XL. Very Nice boat. 16K with a 60Hp Merc, i believe.

I'll definitely keep the windshield in mind.

If was buying used, is there any good methods for making sure the engine isn't beat to hell? other than a compression test?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Went with a Lund 1650 rebel xl. 60hp merc. Upgraded to bow to a 80# minn kota terrova. Spent about 4k more than I wanted.... But you only live once, right? Thx for the tips.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best boat I every owned was a 1991 Lund Pro V tiller with a 60 hp Johnson. It was big enogh motor to get up on plan and cruise at 30 MPH with three people.

I would think long and hard on the type of fishing you plan on doind and then look at a boat that is muilti funtional.

I live on Lake Erie and have fish monster waves with that boat and loved every minute. But it gets wet. A windshield is nice, but sacrifices room in the boat. Can troll, back troll, handline, and cast with a tiller.

My current boat is a 1991 Trophy with a 225 Evinrude. The reason I mention this is that you MUST think how much you want to spend on gas a day. The lund to go fishing was 40-60 bucks a day. Now it is 120. Double the money but the same speed due to water conditions. Water conditions mandate the speed not the motor size.

My best day was driving home with the "chainsaw" 225 Evinrude at WOT Miami Vice style. There is something about a 2 stroke at WOT. My opinion.

Thing to look at is the tansom. After having to replace on or two in my time. Grab the motor and try to bounce it. The transom should not flex at all! If it does then walk away. Good call on the wiring under the dash. Also look at the transom area for wiring. You can tell alot about how the old owner treated his baby. If the wiring is hacked up then your in for trouble.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Went with a Lund 1650 rebel xl. 60hp merc. Upgraded to bow to a 80# minn kota terrova. Spent about 4k more than I wanted.... But you only live once, right? Thx for the tips.
Congrats! It was just five days ago you were still talking about having to decide on two different manufacturers. I smell a fishing herf in the Summer. Bring pictures on the 4th

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice on a Lund. I have a '01 Pro-V 1800 that I bought new and have been very happy with it.
Good luck and happy fishing. <(>>>><.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks. No pics yet. I'll pick it up in 6 weeks or so. I did a ton of research... and despite having less deck space than a mod-v... decided on the deep V of the Lund because it will allow me to get on bigger water and back troll and muskie hunt in foul weather. im sure on those nice calm days, ill lament not have a nice open deck to walk around though.