What's new

Anniversarios & Hemingways vs. Habanos

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Yes, I know, for those of us that are habanophiles, it is, to some degree, no contest. There is something about that "twang" that is quite remarkably once the palate becomes educated. But, having said that, I must say that I still really like the Anniversarios and Hemingways. While I have generally always preferred maduro wrappers, for some reason, in the Padron line, I prefer the natural versions, and in the Hemingway series, the Cameroon, of course! Last night I had a 2001 Principe natural and it was superb. I spent a lot of time just savoring that fine smoke and thinking about the profile and how it compared to Habanos. For those of you who have not tried the Principe in natural or maduro, I highly recommend it. I have never had one of these with a construction problem, difficult draw or a cracked/unraveling wrapper. They are aged and ready to smoke upon arrival. In short, I will always keep these in stock.

The point is that I think to some degree that I have become a little bit arrogant on behalf of Habanos when discussing the leaf with some of my fellow B'sOTL. There are some very fine NC's out there and they are often more affordable for the novice. Now, some will say that the Principe and Hemingway are in the same price range as Habanos making it a moot point. But, not everyone has the sources, wants to take a chance or even prefers the taste of the Cuban tobacco. The Padron and Fuente premium lines are a good answer. Are NC's better or worse? I really do not think so at the high end, but they are completely different if flavor profile. This week I alternated between the Padron, Signature and Habanos as a little experiment. In thinking about the Principe and Signature, I find them to be medium/full-bodied smokes and quite unique. In comparing them to the JL#1 and Boli Corona smoked in between, besides the pronounced twang and aroma, I would almost call the Habano "sweet" and the Padron, "sour", for want of a better description, which escapes me at the moment. However, I thoroughly enjoyed all four smokes. I have a friend who is a very experienced smoker. He enjoys the occasional Habano, and, having traveled extensively for business, has smoked many of them. He prefers the flavor profile of the Dominican and Nicaraguan blends, and, if given a choice, will opt for a Padron or Hemingway over a well aged JL#1 or Mag 46, anytime! :popeyes:

Thinking about my experience this week and my good friend, I am more encouraged than ever to be open minded about what to recommend when considering the requests for advice amongst newbies in particular. This may be heresy, but there are some great NC's out there my brothers! :smokingco

BTW - Does anyone else like to wave the burning end of a Habano under their nose just to smell that aroma, or am I weird? I love doing that. :inlove:

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Fox said:
BTW - Does anyone else like to wave the burning end of a Habano under their nose just to smell that aroma, or am I weird? I love doing that. :inlove:
I waft the smoke under my nose with all of my smokes. I love the aroma.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I haven't had a natural yet, I tend to like fuller bodied smokes.

I agree that there are very good NCs out there for people. I am slowly gravitating towards all ncs but mainly for the money they are that much better. To buy a Fuente or Padron is $. An average cuban can be had for a good amount less than a PAM 26.

I like to smell the smoke under my nose too.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I prefer a good cuban cigar and that's the way my pallette likes it. Not really dissing the n/c's, but they can be good for a change of pace for me and that's about it.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
cvm4 said:
I prefer a good cuban cigar and that's the way my pallette likes it. Not really dissing the n/c's, but they can be good for a change of pace for me and that's about it.
snob....

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Same as Cliff and Mike. I enjoy a good premium NC now and then as a good change of pace, but if I was told I could never smoke anything but habanos from this day forward...I wouldn't be unhappy.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
To me the majority of the smoking experience is about taste. If a cigar is well constructed (ie - has a good draw, good smoke volume and burns fairly straight) and provides me with good flavors without being overly strong, well then I'm as happy as a pig in mud.

Now many people have mentioned this business about having an "educated pallet" ... whatever the hell that means ... or inferring that smokers of non-Cuban cigars are somehow novices. Well I say ... :grinFU: ... I've been using my pallet for 47 years, so I think it's educated enough to know what it likes and dislikes. I've also been smoking all kinds of cigars, including habanos, for 10+ years.

I do enjoy Cohibas, Hoyos, JLs and other brands from Cuba ... but that being said, I sometimes prefer a nicely aged Avo, CAO, Fuente or Padron over anything else. Does this diminish me or my pallet in the eyes of others? I couldn't care less. I smoke for me ... not for anyone else ... and I smoke what I like.

Sorry for the rant ...

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
There are quite a few NC's that I prefer over some Habanos. Well...not exactly "quite a few" but two of them in paticular are

AVO Domain #50
AVO Domain #20

The Fuentes don't excite me the way it excites a lot of people. I wouldn't turn them down, but IMO, I wouldn't put them in a head to head catagory against habanos.

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Ted, no one is looking down on you because you enjoy n/c's. To me, the question was about what each individual prefers. I didn't see anyone putting down the n/c smoker in this thread. So, smoke whatever makes you happy bro :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Fox said:
There is something about that "twang" that is quite remarkably once the palate becomes educated ...

There are some very fine NC's out there and they are often more affordable for the novice ...

He prefers the flavor profile of the Dominican and Nicaraguan blends, and, if given a choice, will opt for a Padron or Hemingway over a well aged JL#1 or Mag 46, anytime! :popeyes:
Cliff ... I know I wasn't being slammed personally ... I was just commenting on a general attitude that I've seen among many cigar smokers. The lines above from the original post are the ones that sort of ticked me off ...

cvm4

Rating - 100%
197   0   0
tedski said:
Cliff ... I know I wasn't being slammed personally ... I was just commenting on a general attitude that I've seen among many cigar smokers. The lines above from the original post are the ones that sort of ticked me off ...
Okay good! Atleast I'm not one of those elist smokers. Doesn't matter what ya smoke as long as we have some good conversation and BS to talk about

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I think every cigar serves one simple purpose. The need to be satiated.

I liken Cigars to Ice Cream...I love ice cream. Vanilla doesn't really do it for me, but it satiates the desire for ice cream. I would prefer something along the lines of quadrouple chocolate suicide with extra fudge chunks, but would be happy doing a bowl of vanilla bean if that's what I chose for that time.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I still very much enjoy the Padron Anniversarios. One odd thing about my taste is that I like 64's in maduro but prefer the 26's in a natural wrapper. Out of the Fuente lineup, I would never pass up an Anejo of any size...

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
cvm4 said:
Okay good! Atleast I'm not one of those elist smokers. Doesn't matter what ya smoke as long as we have some good conversation and BS to talk about
Exactly! :bickering