What's new

Anniversarios & Hemingways vs. Habanos

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Same as Cliff and Mike. I enjoy a good premium NC now and then as a good change of pace, but if I was told I could never smoke anything but habanos from this day forward...I wouldn't be unhappy.
That says it all for me too.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Yep, it's all about individual taste. As to the "developed palate" thing, for me, it took me a while to be able to taste the difference that is a Habanos cigar, so I wouldn't necessarily take that as any kind of slam.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
"There is something about that "twang" that is quite remarkably once the palate becomes educated ...

There are some very fine NC's out there and they are often more affordable for the novice ...

He prefers the flavor profile of the Dominican and Nicaraguan blends, and, if given a choice, will opt for a Padron or Hemingway over a well aged JL#1 or Mag 46, anytime!"

tedski said:
Cliff ... I know I wasn't being slammed personally ... I was just commenting on a general attitude that I've seen among many cigar smokers. The lines above from the original post are the ones that sort of ticked me off ...
Sorry you took it that way, Ted. I am not quite sure what ticked you off? I will try to clarify since I was not "slamming" anyone.

Educated, in this context, only refers to the flavor profile differences between Cuban and other tobaccos and the ability for some palates to recognize the difference. I have met a number of experienced smokers who claim they cannot distinguish the difference. However, I, personally, find the difference quite remarkable. Educated has nothing to do with what a person may or may not find enjoyable in a smoke; it does not in any way denigrate the likes or abilities of the individual smoker, nor does it make one who distinguishes the difference, superior.

Novices, means exactly that. No put down. Many new smokers approach me and ask me about various cigars and the countries in which they are grown and rolled. I see it in this forum every day. It has nothing to do with NC's, Cubans or any other tobacco form. They usually want to know what is a good value for a "novice". They want to know about the Cuban mystique and the expected differences in Latin American or other smokes.

Finally, to my comment regarding my friend preferring NC's, it was a joke. I put the face in there hoping that everyone would take it that way, but apparently, some did not. I would prefer the Habanos mentioned in my quote, while my friend would not. His comment was heresy to me and we still laugh about it.

Bottom line, I always tell people to smoke what they enjoy and never look back.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Personaly, I have not been able to experience the same amount of satisfaction with the flavors I get from NCs as I get with Cuban cigars.

Does that make me a Cuban Cigar snob? Who cares?

I smoke what I like and like what I smoke...it just so happens that, as far as cigars go, what I like is exclusively Cuban.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
To sum up: Smoke what you enjoy. Enjoy the company of others who enjoy cigars. Don't inhale!

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I understand Fox ... I know you posted with no intentional slight toward anyone. In fact, you did post that you recognize your own growing arrogance.

I don't normally flare up like this and do apologize if I offended anyone. But I guess a bad night's sleep and prolonged recovery from the flu will take it's toll.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
tedski said:
I understand Fox ... I know you posted with no intentional slight toward anyone. In fact, you did post that you recognize your own growing arrogance.

I don't normally flare up like this and do apologize if I offended anyone. But I guess a bad night's sleep and prolonged recovery from the flu will take it's toll.
mixing otc cold medicine?:rofl:

All is good now. Hope you get feeling better tedski.

But back to the question at hand.

I think at first the habano mystique pulled me in. But I do still smoke quite a few non habanos because I can get them easier. My boss goes to a cigar shop every week during basketball season and pick up some opus,padron,fuente sticks for me. I am greatful for the free smokes and I enjoy them. And that is why I smoke...for the enjoyment.
There are lots of good n/c cigars that I like. But I would love to be in a position to only smoke habanos....someday

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
tedski said:

Take it out on the surfing Ted! :clap: :guitar: :bigeyes: :halfgrinw

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I really like smoking cigars and as a newbie have not educated my tastes enough to tell the difference between NC and CC without knowing:cryloud: . But still working on it. I like many different cigars all NC and some CC. With a couple of packages from BotL here I am having a lesson or two in the dark side:drool: . Looking forward to more lessons in 2006:stretchgr .

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
tubaman said:
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Nuff said.

That's the ticket.

I still smoke an occasional NC and do enjoy them on that rare occasion but I do know people who prefer mild cigars and stay away from Habanos because the ones they have smoked were too strong. There are some fine cigars made outside Cuba. It's all about personal preference.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Before joining the BOTL my favorite cigar was the PAM 64. I still enjoy them very much today. Everyday since I'm gaining an appreciation for the cuban cigar but since enjoy the high end NC's.

I think that's where I've found the biggest difference for me. I can find and really enjoy a $5 cuban but no longer enjoy the NC's in that price range. I've basically hit the $8-$10 price point for NC's that I like.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I agree with the idea of smoking what you like. It seems silly that someone would only smoke Cuban because it's "supposed" to be better. Please.
If you dig yourself a CAO Brazilia; Good on ya!
If you dig yourself a J Lo Corona; Good on ya!

Personally, I enjoy the aging aspect of tobacco. I am holding onto boxes of CAOs & Opus & Toranos in the hopes that these will develop over the years the additional complexity & flavors that a vintage El Rey or Ramon Allones easily develops, but I don't hold much hope. I know N/Cs are fermented differently than Cubans, causing them to have less potential for containing the building blocks to a great vintage smoke. Alas, I will be able to give you the difinative answer starting in another 5 years when I bust out some 10 year old boxes of opus to see if they still hurt my throat from the spice or not.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
sb1396 said:
That's the ticket.

I still smoke an occasional NC and do enjoy them on that rare occasion but I do know people who prefer mild cigars and stay away from Habanos because the ones they have smoked were too strong. There are some fine cigars made outside Cuba. It's all about personal preference.
This really hits at the heart of my term "novice". I have given a CC or two to some relatively experienced smokers, only to watch them turn green and complain that the smokes were too strong! :cryloud:

For a good laugh, you should know that the friend mentioned in my post absolutely loves Royal Jamaican as one of his go to's. Of course, I usually ask him how he can smoke those dog rockets! :hysterica Interestingly enough, he is one of those people who is way more than "gainfully employed" and could buy any Habano inventory he desires, but that is not where his tastes lie. Sometimes it sucks not to be him! :cryloud:

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Just a side note, but for those of you who enjoy the Principe natural, go here: Tower Cigars. Talk with Mark Just, one of the owners. If you are not in CA and do not have to pay the taxes, you can get some good deals from him. He has often given me a discount from the web price. The last box I got was $165, delivered, which works out to about $6.60 per stick. Yes, you can get some CC's for the same or a lesser price, but in my mind, this is a good value for those who like an NC.